PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New here, few 400 questions

spark plug
08-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Try not to make this too long.....Im Scott in Colorado. Bought a 2000 honda new, Had to be the first kid on the block to have the 440 kit. Ported, polished, hardened rockers,heavy springs, mid cam,full Dg exhaust, WB cdi, KnN in box with lid and the 1 inch filter vents(?).
Well, about a year after i had this i found a Suzuki LT250 that needed restored.....fell in love with the old 2 strokes (have 4 now,one 540 hybrid) and the poor 440 ex was used for the daughter and friends and bathroom runs.
Time to finish the Honda!!!!! Been reading thru here a little, great site!!
Been replacing batteries every year.. couple months ago, would not start..pull, jump, ether,charger/starter!!! Put in the stock cdi and started right up!!!!
Was talking with a honda mechanic and he said"get rid of the base gasket and just use sealer to lower the squish to as close to zero as possible,450 carb,timing key and run straight E-85 and it will wake it up".
Has been a great bike. Has been to Moab twice, but mainly a dunner now. Only problems have been electrical.
Sorry bout the long post. What do you all think??
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/Picture299.jpg

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
welcome to the site! looks like you are getting some use out of it now. I think that your suggestions for upgrades sound like a good plan. :D Is this the one with the 440 in it? i assume so. lol the key probably wont be a good idea with that unless you want to run 110 octane. also im not a big fan of making gaskets but i have heard it done before. I would recommend going with a set of xr gaskets since they are thinner and will raise your compression enough not to have to mess with making a base gasket. the lts are cool to have too, lets see some pics of those too.

tri5ron
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Welcome aboard.
the sparks key is not recommended for the larger bores, (over 426), but that actually has more to do with the compression ratio.
usually the 440's are 11.5:1 or higher, and the +6 key is recommended for 10.5:1 and lower.

There is a highly respected member here on the forums who produces +3 keys for everyone who runs the higher ratios.
He goes by the moniker, Wheelie. PM him, and he can set you up.

Also, it is not a good idea to run a aftermarket CDI box with any advance key due to the non stock boxes also advance the timing.

On a 400EX, the stock CDI box is your best bet, due to the performance envelope of this engine, (even when modded), makes all of it's power well below the stock limiters range.

Stroker motors are about the only exception.

450r carbs are a popular mod, and do very well. you can reasonably get an added 3 to 6 HP depending on what other mods you have.

There are some guys who remove the base gasket for more compression, but it's just not my particular cup of tea, as it also alters the valve timing to some degree.

I'm surprized that you are running a 440 with cam and full exhaust, and running the 1" vents. You would most probably be better served with a no lid, or modified outerwears or K&N lid, with a rejetting job.
especially if you do go to the 450r carb.

welcome to the site, feel free to post up anyquestions for your build, and welcome to the disease.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
just a little confused as to why you registered November 2007 and are just posting for the first time now :confused:

theres so many cool rides on here, just do a random search or something and you'll find a cool project to comment on.

Josh

honda400ex2003
08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
just a little confused as to why you registered November 2007 and are just posting for the first time now :confused:

Josh

thats awesome! i didnt notice that lol. :D steve

spark plug
08-20-2010, 10:29 PM
LOL!! I signed up in 07 looking for info to adjust valves. Thanks for the replys!!!! I'll stick with the stock cdi so i dont have to buy a new battery every year. Not sure what the compression ratio is?? It was in 2000, so what ever the kit was for the xr 400? Think i'll also leave the base gasket too(never really dug into the 4 strokes). The airbox will probably stay but the lid will go and been lookikng for the 450 carb!!! All my LT's run an open filter but been trying to close them up for the occasional water crossing.
I had all the engine work done by a local shop 10 years ago and took it back for a leaky head gasket, they replaced it and still leaked as you can see in the pic.Has been like that ever since. All ive ever done is adjust valves(last year), oil and adjust chain, change crankcase oil and clean carb and filter!!! Its been the most dependable(besides the battery thing) bike i ever bought.
Any ways....What do you all think about the 3 degree key for my app. and running straight E 85??
Heres some pics of the old dinasours.....
A little air on the 87/92 250
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/Picture324.jpg
The 540 hybrid....
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/Picture003-5.jpg
The 250 before it became the hybrid.....
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/spin107.jpg
The bike i picked up for $500...
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/Picture055.jpg

honda400ex2003
08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
sweet machines! old school is fun to see. 450 carb is a great upgrade, the 3 degree is good since you are not sure what comp it is, and e-85 is supposed to be pretty good to use also. you just have to jet accordingly by going quite a bit richer than regular gas. I have no experience with that but wheelie, the maker of the 3 degree key, has done some stuff with it along with a few others on here. if your gaskets arent leaking i would leave them imo. steve

tri5ron
08-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Spinners ??? That cracks me up !!! Too good !!
now here's the funnier part,...
I remember when those bikes were NEW !!!
(yeah,.... I'm an OLD fart !)

honda400ex2003
08-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Spinners ??? That cracks me up !!! Too good !!
now here's the funnier part,...
I remember when those bikes were NEW !!!
(yeah,.... I'm an OLD fart !)

good call, i missed that. now it is not only old school, it is pimpin too. steve

spark plug
08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Ya i was bored and have access to a cnc...welded up some brackets that bolt to the lugs and skateboard bearings. Then made up a homebrew annodizing setup.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/spin022-1.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/spin024.jpg
An FMF silencer...fist time drawing flames....triple fade anodized.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/Picture001-8.jpg

honda400ex2003
08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
sweetness! must be nice to have cnc and stuff to play with. steve

beags86
08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by spark plug
Ya i was bored and have access to a cnc...welded up some brackets that bolt to the lugs and skateboard bearings. Then made up a homebrew annodizing setup.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/spin022-1.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/spin024.jpg
An FMF silencer...fist time drawing flames....triple fade anodized.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/quadster250/Picture001-8.jpg

access to a cnc huh? where in colorado do you live??

spark plug
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Greeley...its a cnc for boring cabinet parts,deffently not the right machine, but it worked!!!

beags86
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
greeley, huh... any good places up that way tp ride? i live down in south denver, pretty much just go south all the time, but i would go up that way if there are some sweet spots...

what is the compression your running in that 440? if its high the 3 degree key would be good, and 450 carb with would really wake it up i think but you would have to jet her pretty high with e85

kali250r
08-24-2010, 10:53 PM
SPINNNNERS!!!

spark plug
08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Not sure of the compression???? What ever the shop put in 10 years ago? Is there any quick way to check???
We found a little place to ride this side of Ft Morgan...pretty fun for a day. Someones private property that doesnt care if you ride there. Other than that , sand dunes and mountain trails.

tri5ron
08-25-2010, 03:21 PM
We found a little place to ride this side of Ft Morgan...pretty fun for a day. Someones private property that doesnt care if you ride there. I would highly doubt that this is a 100% accurate statement.

You might want to re-think , and/or double check that, directly with the property owner(s), in person.
There's ALOT of assumed liabilities going on here.

Don't just think, that because other people ride there, that it is ok.,
and don't just think that it is ok with the owners,
if you have not PERSONALLY spoke with them, know them,
and/or have it in writing.

Here's why...

If a property owner just says to you, "have at it...ride anytime", HE is assuming a huge personal liability, in the event you were to get hurt.
That's one of the reason's why properties are posted with signs saying "Private Property" and/or "No Tresspassing".

If you DO talk to the owner, and he say's it's o.k. to ride there,.... he would be a Fool, to not have you sign some sort of legal waiver, abolishing himself of any liability claims, you may have against him.

also,...
If you do talk to him, and he gives you the permission to ride,...
Then you would be wise to have him give you that permission in writing, and have it also state that he can not, make any claims against YOU, for riding there, and/or any subsequent damages resulting from, and associated with, the normal riding of a ATV.

This will also protect you, should the local police arrive, and require you to prove your status as an approved occupant, and user of that land.

Failure to do so COULD result in,
legal charges, fines, jail, confiscation/impoundment of your bikes, and the list goes on.

So as stated above,...
Don't be foolish yourself, and end up wishing you had heeded the warnings, and your better judgement.
Use your head, and don't assume anything.
You'll stay out of alot more trouble that way.

good luck.

spark plug
08-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Wow!!!Guess you are an old fart ? I remember too!!!! First ride was an 84 200s.HAHA A friend of mine spoke with the land owner a couple of years ago and was told "have fun, but as soon as you get hurt, your trespassing". We have been riding there for 3 years now. It probably is trespassing but there is no signs and an open road in. On a nice weekend there will be 40-50 people riding. It used to be a membership place at one time???
I'm always looking for new places to ride!!!!Sure other people are too. (just dont get hurt!!!)
I'm 45. I'll quit when Willie does!!

beags86
08-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Not sure of the compression???? What ever the shop put in 10 years ago? Is there any quick way to check???
We found a little place to ride this side of Ft Morgan...pretty fun for a day. Someones private property that doesnt care if you ride there. Other than that , sand dunes and mountain trails.

the quickest way to check would be the paper work... or maybe call the shop, maybe you will luck out and the guy puts in a "standard" (to him) kit. but even then would still be guessing, other then that you would have to tear it down to see.

tri5ron
08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Haha, Yeah, you could say I'm an old fart :D
My first bike was a 1969 honda mini trail 50. Dad bought it for me used,...(in 1970) LOL!
I'm pretty sure that they had just invented Dirt , only a few years before that !

Obviously, my prevous reply was more intended to keep the younger members here, thinking about the potential consequences of riding on posted private property.
No offence was intended, as I'm confident none was taken.

have fun.