PDA

View Full Version : Fast Help Please!

00426ex
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I am going to order a new jet. No, I have not plug chopped yet, but please tell me what's wrong. When the bike is going and on full throttle, it seems to pop. Any ideas what is wrong? I am running a 182/40, rest of things in sig. Fast help needed please =)

clemsonteg
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
If its popping I would think its lean, bogging would be happening if it were rich. That being said, you should jet up some more, maybe go up to 190 or so and see what happens.

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
at least you listened to what we all tried to help you with in the last thread. :rolleyes: you gotta at least get a base to go on. no one is going to be able exactly say what it needs without a bit of help from you. get everything from a 190 to a 160 and you will be able to use one of them. use the 3 dollars and buy a spark plug, then you can at least see where you are at a bit. steve

00426ex
08-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but I think you are missing the point of my question. I wasn't asking him for my jetting. I was saying that when I ride full throttle it pops. I wanted someone to diagnose this so I know to go up or down. Thanks tho

CJM
08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Lean means to little fuel, either adjust the air/fuel screw (bottom of carb) or go up a size in jetting.

Also playing with the needle/clip position might be it since your popping at higher rpm.

Im sorry but thats the best I can do, Im not very good with carbs.

00426ex
08-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Thats good enough for me. I am still kind of confused about some aspects of jetting. Apparently I'll just have to sit down one day and do so many chops I'll have to stop karate. All puns aside, Thanks for your help because that info was exactly what I needed. Thanks =)

tri5ron
08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Not sure if you are aware of this since you are still new here.

Kiehen jets, and Dyna jets are not sized the same.

Since most of your questions have been reguarding jetting we need to establish a baseline.
SO,... to accurately do that, and so that you are on the same plane, it would be best to stick with one brand of jets.
most people here prefer Kiehen jets.

YES, I'm sure some will pop in now and say they are happy with their Dyna jets, and thats great for them.
BUT,...
To be able to maintain a accurate trail of progression towards your particular issues,... and to acheive the common goal,...

you need to understand that the two different brands are NOT using the same unit of measure.

(Steve, help me out here,... I know you've got that conversion chart saved away somewhere)

but the point I'm trying to make here, is that while you are asking all the jetting questions,
and while you are getting all the various replies,
there is a variable that can cause confusion.

THAT variable is, that when you say "I have a 188"
and someone says you need to go to a 190,
You BOTH need to be talking the same language,... I.E. The same BRAND of jets.

In other words,...
A Kiehen 190, is NOT the same as a Dyna 190

CJM
08-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I know the chart your talking about Ron, found this tidbit online:

http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm

For instance I have a DJ 170 = to KEIHIN 190

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I wasnt trying to be mean or anything, i was just saying to see where you need to go before buying any jet. lol sorry bout that, i thought you were on the same page with the lean is too small and rich is too big on carbs from the last thread. The chart that is on here can be found by searching 400ex chart if needed again. the one cjm posted is the same just on the jets r us site. speaking of jetsrus, that is the place to get your jets from if you decide to stick with keihin jets. As ron said, that is what most of us have had great luck with when doing things other than an exhaust and filter. my suggestion before going any further is to learn as much as you can about a carb by reading all of the info on jets r us and some of the better tuning threads here. This will help to show you where each part of a carb "kicks in" per say. the pilot jet and fuel/air screw is for idle up to 1/8 throttle, the needle starts there and goes to around 1/2-5/8 throttle, from 5/8 throttle to full is the main jet. these can each be changed to acomidate the correct jetting. starting with the pilot is usually best, and you seem to have that under control with your 42 pilot and around 2.5 turns out on the f/a screw. If your popping is on deceleration, that would be a lean pilot jet. you said that yours is under power though on full throttle which would most likely indicate a lean main jet. As long as it is a pop and not a sluggish type sputter. this could then mean that it is too rich. this is where your plug can come into play for you a bit. just taking it out can tell you how it is running. you wont even have to do a chop. if it is black, too rich, no color and burned sort of look to it, too lean. I hope this clears up some stuff for you. I would be willing to be with your 188 in there it either got worse or went away. how did it do? steve

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344906&highlight=400ex+chart

00426ex
08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
First off regarding tri5ron, I realize that different brands are different sizes. THAT DOES NOT MATTER FOR WHAT I AM ASKING! If it is a 190 Dyna Jet or a 190 Keihin Jet and it was suffering from a problem, the brand would not matter. Let me show you. "I have a popping noise on full throttle, I have a 190 Dyna Jet, what is wrong?" OR "I have a popping noise on full throttle, I have a 190 Keihin Jet, what is wrong?" The answer will still be the same!! If it an issue, the brand doesn't matter as the resolution will still be the same, (in this case I hear to up the jet).

Second off regarding honda400ex2003, I realize that I need to do some plug chops, and now that I have everything fixed (I hope), I have a few bucks I can put towards the plugs. The main reason I wanted a fast answer was because I was ordering off RMATV. I needed another jet and I wanted to know which one because if I ordered before 5, which it was like 4 minutes until 5, then I could get it sent out today. When it gets here, along with my 14, 15, and 38 Primary Drive Sprockets, DID ATV X-Ring, and All Balls axle bearing kit, I will let you know. Hopefully everything gets fixed and I can get some pictures and do some plug tests and see what they look like =) Thanks to everyone for the quick responses

dalejiw25
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
"I am running a 182/40, rest of things in sig." Say What ????
Here's Your sig.
2000 400ex
Wiseco 426 kit 11:1
Stage 2 Hotcam
LRD Pro 4 Series Exhaust (Slip-On with ported and polished headers)
Stock carb, 188 main, 42 pilot, 3rd clip
UNI Air Filter
Primary Drive 14/38
D.I.D. ATV X-Ring Chain
ITP Holeshot GNCC
EBC Brakes
Port and Polish Job
WTF???? Is wrong with this pic. ????
Which is it ????

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 08:08 PM
which ones did you buy and did the 188 help out? steve

tri5ron
08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 00426ex
First off regarding tri5ron, I realize that different brands are different sizes. THAT DOES NOT MATTER FOR WHAT I AM ASKING! If it is a 190 Dyna Jet or a 190 Keihin Jet and it was suffering from a problem, the brand would not matter. Let me show you. "I have a popping noise on full throttle, I have a 190 Dyna Jet, what is wrong?" OR "I have a popping noise on full throttle, I have a 190 Keihin Jet, what is wrong?" The answer will still be the same!! If it an issue, the brand doesn't matter as the resolution will still be the same, (in this case I hear to up the jet).
Hang on a minute there Chachi,
It DOES matter.

Yes, what you are saying,....... In the CONTEXT that you are saying it,.... is correct.

BUT, the point that you are apparently missing here is that when you say "I have a 188 and it's popping"- (and YOU are talking Kiehen jets)
Then someone comes back and says "go to a 190" - (and THEY are talking DJ),

You are NOT talking the same language(s), and you will NOT get accurate, favorable, results.

That is the only point that I was trying to make here.
I was only trying to help you, and to help avoid a common source of confusion, and therefore aggrevation, that many of us here had to learn the hard way.

It has nothing to do with the simple context of your example being,... "Yeah, if it's too lean, I still need to up jet, no matter WHAT brand"

If that WAS the case,..
Then someone could come on and say "hey I need a front fender for my truck",
then have them complain that they got a free chevy fender, that dosent fit on their ford,

Take a chill pill there bud,
Armageddon is not here, and tommorows another day.
We're only here trying to help you out.

00426ex
08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I just changed the sig literally 5 minutes ago because I will have it in as soon as I get it. Didn't think it would make a difference to other people for 2 reasons:
a)No one really needs to know what I have in my bike
b)We already came to a conclusion to go bigger on the jet so it didn't matter whether I had in my sig by then because the problem was solved

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
i know i look at a sig any time there is a question. changing it only means that you are still having the issue unless otherwise stated when changing it. as you noticed I asked how it ran with the 188. i noticed right after you changed it. I even went back and changed my post to 42 from the 40 that you had listed in the post... steve

00426ex
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
And it doesn't matter whether they meant 190 Keihin or Dyno because I still get the point that it needs to go bigger. Many people say that other people can't tell you what your quad will need, so it doesn't matter which brand he meant, he got the point across that it needed to be bigger. I got my question answered so no need for more arguing since I do not need any more advice until I get the 188 jet to put in. And if you have a Ford and someone gives you a Chevy fender, if you like it, you will modify it to work. I like my bike so I will modify it to work. I get the idea it needs to go bigger so I will go bigger, then test my plug, then decide.

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
changed my mind, im retiring. he seems to have it all figured out already. lol steve

tri5ron
08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 00426ex
I just changed the sig literally 5 minutes ago because I will have it in as soon as I get it. Didn't think it would make a difference to other people for 2 reasons:
a)No one really needs to know what I have in my bike
b)We already came to a conclusion to go bigger on the jet so it didn't matter whether I had in my sig by then because the problem was solved

And it doesn't matter whether they meant 190 Keihin or Dyno because I still get the point that it needs to go bigger. Many people say that other people can't tell you what your quad will need, so it doesn't matter which brand he meant, he got the point across that it needed to be bigger. I got my question answered so no need for more arguing since I do not need any more advice until I get the 188 jet to put in. And if you have a Ford and someone gives you a Chevy fender, if you like it, you will modify it to work. I like my bike so I will modify it to work. I get the idea it needs to go bigger so I will go bigger, then test my plug, then decide. Ok, I'm done here now http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/barniearrgh.gif http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/bangheadonwall.gif

00426ex
08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Let me clarify myself so people don't get mad. Someone here told me I needed a bigger jet so I am getting one. It is not in yet, so as of right now it has a 182. I will be putting the 188 in later and let you guys know how it does then. No more fighting between any of use please.

guenther
08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
00426EX you've got balls for days. People like Ron and Steve have been giving you good solid correct advice but you don't want to hear it for some odd reason. Trust me, you don't have it figured out. 10 days on this forum and 60+ posts to tell us you're the man!?!? That has to be a record. You should have just said that in your first post and I wouldn't have been the first to welcome you to the site. By the way, I'm deleting my response right after I send this because I'm embarrassed I complimented you on your reading and writing skills. What you need to do is stay in school and sharpen your comprehension skills. Good luck Einstein!

00426ex
08-20-2010, 09:25 AM
guenther, the arguing was over. WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP AGAIN? I hope that I clarified myself so I didn't look like such a jerk. I do not know everything, thats why I came here to ask a question. I got it answered then people came and told me other things. I thank Steve and Ron for helping me understand the difference and I am sorry if I came off like a jerk. No one else please start up the arguing again as it is pointless to put other people down now. The arguing is over and I'll let you guys now what happened after I get the part.

guenther
08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I brought it up because I hadn't seen it yet and I can't believe someone would be that pigheaded. You "clarified" everything but didn't apologize to anyone for acting like a little child throwing a tantrum. First you ask for help, then you receive it and then b*tch at the ones that gave it to you. This is how it works Jr. You can't just start complaining about something and expect everyone to just forgive and forget. Especially when you don't apologize. Oh wait, you "clarified" it. Give me a break. When you act like an @ss, you get treated like an @ss. That's how the real grown up world works. You EARN respect by giving respect. My hope is that you learn this quickly because you are going to have a tough time in this world if you don't. Take this as a life lesson and learn from it.