PDA

View Full Version : Cdi box vs timing key

kbnorth99
08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Can anyone give me the whole story regarding the pros and cons of a timing key and a cdi box? Since we can't search on three letter words I couldn't search for cdi so if this has been covered before I apologize.

I have seen that some folks on here are fans of the key instead of a cdi box. Aren't there other parameters that are modified with a cdi beyond timing? Obviously the rev limit but any others?

I have seen on a couple posts that a key will increase your low end power but reduce top end. I understand that is because the timing curve is simply advanced not actually altered. Does a cdi combat that issue?

I am running a mostly stock 06 400ex. K&n filter and a white bros pipe. Plans are for?????

Thanks

erik420
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Type in "*cdi and it will search it. I have a pro com cdi and the only thing it did was raise the rev limit with is useless on a 400ex as it looses power up top. I've heard the timing key is the way to go but I have no experience with it. Hope this help!

RIDE RED!

Erik

tri5ron
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by erik420
Type in "*cdi and it will search it. I have a pro com cdi and the only thing it did was raise the rev limit with is useless on a 400ex as it looses power up top. I've heard the timing key is the way to go but I have no experience with it. Hope this help!

RIDE RED!

Erik That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

slightlybent47
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I’d say the cdi box is useless on the ex, but depending on what mods you have the timing key can help to some degree.