View Full Version : Unfair Treatment of Sport Quads (venting)

bryan.young1
08-19-2010, 03:34 AM
ok i don't want this to turn into the kind of thread that the Mods will close but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED IN THIS WORLD.......(deep breaths) can someone please explain to me the logical, reasonable reason that if your lucky enough to find a place that even allows MX quads on the track at all..... you can expect to only have two days a week available to pick from? I have spent the last couple of hours doing a lot of searching (southern california) and it seems that Quads are excluded from almost every track and the few that permit ATV's only allow them on maybe a couple of days a week? This just seems LUDICROUS to me that MX Quads are so incredibly different then MX Dirt Bikes that bikes are allowed to practice anywhere 7days a week and quads are lucky to get 2 or 3 days spread out to pick from at only a couple of locations that might only be 2 or 3 hours from you if you ............once again......are LUCKY? I started riding back in 2005 in CT and i guess it was the same then as now but i got spoiled at CT river motocross that has its very own QUAD track as well as a Dirt Bike only track so that we all could practice any day that they were open. Any way just feeling frustrated and needed to write this out but if anyone knows why this Sport ATV stigma continues even after all these years, and can enlighten me i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

stoopidbot
08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
The bikes don't want us on the track for the simple reason that we flatten out their ruts. Bike riders will spend all day forming a rut that they can use to rail through the corners. When a quad comes and slides accross those they are ruined forcing the bike rider to take a turn without a rut... big babies

bryan.young1
08-19-2010, 10:18 AM
The bikes don't want us on the track for the simple reason that we flatten out their ruts. Bike riders will spend all day forming a rut that they can use to rail through the corners. When a quad comes and slides across those they are ruined forcing the bike rider to take a turn without a rut... big babies

I know they have been crying about this since the dawn of time but I cant believe that this is the only reason that Quads are excluded on so many tracks all over. This might not be true in the mid east and western states but I have lived on both coasts now and it is very apparent that quads are excluded. The part that i just cant wrap my brain around is that if I own a track, and its my business, and i make money from riders paying me to use it and theirs two types of riders, and they both want to come and ride on my track every day, and there both willing to pay me, every day, .................................then on what planet does it make me more money to tell one of the types of riders that they can ONLY PAY me to ride on my track on a Wednesday or Sunday afternoon, but only during a solstice, in a leap year, during the moon's third apex, after the slack tide but only with the popes permission slip.......... ????? it just doesn't make sense unless theirs only like 10 people on any given day that want to ride quads and its not financially worth the extra work to keep the tracks groomed but There are a million of us on this site alone all over the bloody country that all want to ride all over....???? "sigh" so then my other question is if the infamous flattening of the ruts is really the reason that we are kept out of so many tracks then how could it not be worth it to keep a Small ATV track on your site and allow bikes on it as well to keep it full but if they get mad and want there own ruts they can go back to there bike only tracks???

I hate to buy into conspiracy theory but the more i think about this issue the more it feels like some sort of Skull and Bones type of "Old Boys Club" where the sport was started by the dirt bikers and they just do it out of tradition or some stupid reason like that. They just don't want to share the sport and most of the owners agree with the majority opinion.

Or I'm completely wrong and there ARE like only 10 Sport ATV riders near Major Cities like LA, SF, and NY and making it not even worth the time to consider, for any track owner in those areas????? Oh yes, I'm sure this is the case for sure "shrug"

Honda5
08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
All of the good bike riders (A or better ) never seem to have a problem with the quads using the tracks it's allways the not quite so good riders that need the groove and have a problem with the flatter track . Budds Creek holds about 5 D7 races a year and has the quads and bikes on the same day. Quads go just befor the little bikes so they don't get stuck in the deep ruts.

mjc400ex
08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Screw those ruts.
Its not a freakin' slot car track.
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

honda250xrider
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
because of money, its pretty simple.

Would you rather make money or lose money.

Lose money by allowing quads to ride everyday and driving out the dirt bikes.
or make money by only allowing select days for quads and devoting the rest of the time to dirt-bikes. You can't be mad its not the track owners fault and its not the dirt bikers fault. Its the numbers game and they have us beat.

bryan.young1
08-19-2010, 05:43 PM
ok so i just got off of the phone with Milestone MX here in southern California and I'm just as confused as ever???? so not only can i just use the track 2 days a week but I'm paying the same price as someone that can go 7 if they want but on one of those days i can only use 1 of the tracks????? i asked for the reason that they do this and they said that its because they don't get very many quads there??????? but that doesn't make sense either because if they don't get very many then what the H-E double hockey sticks is the problem with letting them come when ever how much damage can a couple of quads do......sigh ok well i guess I'm done venting. This seems to be a subject that will never make sense and yet still go on unchanged for ever.

honda250xrider
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
you have to understand, this is a business.

If he lets a couple quads come you may think it may not damage the track but it can and trust me he will get an earful from the dirt bike guys, in turn a couple quads could cause more damage than good.

Such as 3 quads were allowed to ride the track, and 10 dirt bike riders leave because they would rather go to one of the other riding spots that doesn't allow atv's. It revolves around the money and in this economy the track owner really doesn't have any choice but to go where the money is.

For you to pay the same price well its reasonable, he still has to maintain the track etc.

He simply just can't lower the price for atv's so you can ride the track for cheaper then he would have to lower the price for others who only wish to ride that track then also. You see where i'm going with this....

edit: I don't understand the whole 7 vs 2 day thing do you pay monthly or weekly at this place? I would then agree with you and say that the price should reflect on how many days you are allowed to ride but not solely on what track you are allowed to ride on.

bryan.young1
08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
i do understand that it is a business and i don't want it to sound like I'm complaining about the money either because the price is very fare for $45 per year membership and 25$ per day it could actually be more in my opinion and still be a very reasonable price to pay. but like with anything that we, as the working class, spend our money on it always effects me when i pay the same amount for something and then find out that someone else paying the same amount is getting way more for there money. its going to bother me a little weather its $5 or $500. lol well ok more so if it was $500 but you get what i mean. I do not want these places to lose money at all, in fact i want the opposite i would just like the option to give them more money to offset the supposed "extra damage" that i do as a sport quad rider. This is why it feels kind of Skull and Bones to me. It just seems like they really don't want to promote more ATV riders coming at all. i just didn't think that there were so few sport quad riders in the US that it causes them to lose money every time were on the track. and i guess i was wrong about that. I think were dealing with two things here that i will never understand.

1. i have never ridden a dirt bike so i will never truly know how much we hurt there ability to ride. I know that there ruts are annoying to get around but never so much that i would leave and go out of my way to try and get them kicked off of tracks almost entirely, but that's just me i guess. If it really effects them that much and causes them to leave tracks when were there then my answer to that is to have a separate track but that also boils down to money and in this economy theirs no way that is going to happen so i guess were SOL on that.

2. I really didn't think that there were so few sport quads looking for places to practice that were not even on the map as far as all the tracks are concerned. I guess since i have never raced and never been anything more then a hobby rider that put me more out of touch then i first realized.

I guess all i can do is the same as all of us and try to talk to the tracks and get more riders to commit to rides at certain tracks in order to try and generate more money for the tracks that are willing to open up more tracks and days to us, but it is going to be a crazy up hill battle. I really have to give it up to CT river motocross back in 05 then for somehow staying in business with a quad track that we could go to when ever they were open and still keeping the bike guys from revolting.

For now i will pay my full ticket price and take my allowed seat in the back of the bus:) Hopefully Rosa Parks great great grandson or granddaughter rides a sport quad and can fix this:) thanks for all the great feed back all, keep em coming.