PDA

View Full Version : worth trading my ex?

eotrx400ex
08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
guy has a 2004 yfz450 in good condition (haven't seen in person yet) looks clean. he said it has fox shocks on it now (paid 800 each). i know the earlier yfz's have some issues oiling for one..is there other issues? and would this be a good trade??

450Rida
08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
id keep the ex, ive worked on many yfzs and they all have the same problem of the oil ring going and then piston seizure. the ex is much more reliable

eotrx400ex
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 450Rida
id keep the ex, ive worked on many yfzs and they all have the same problem of the oil ring going and then piston seizure. the ex is much more reliable thanks for the input! anyone else. i would like any thoughts from both

Ride1Rob
08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
id keep the ex, ive worked on many yfzs and they all have the same problem of the oil ring going and then piston seizure. the ex is much more reliable

I've had my 04 since March of 04 and have never had an oil ring go bad or a piston to seize. I've worked on a few as well and for the most part no issues with the yfz topend other than normal wear and tear. As for the ex being more reliable... it's motor is not designed quite like any of the 450's. A race bike shouldn't be as reliable as a non race bike.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-20-2010, 12:42 AM

I disagree. My YFZ has been great to me, never had a problem with it. I have a buddy with one and my uncle has one and neither of them have had any problems either. Do your regularly needed maintainence and you're good to go. My uncle traded his '04 EX straight across for an '04 YFZ and he's glad he did it.

mxpimp2000
08-20-2010, 01:02 AM
i traded a fully built 426ex big bore for a bone stock 06 yfz and dont regret it one bit. i love my yfz and would never consider having anything less. its all about how u maintain ur bike is to if it will be ragged out motor. that option is up to u and there is no way id not trade it if i was u unless the yfz was beat and ragged to the max

quadrider2112
08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Man i never had an ex but i love my yfz got my 07 yfz lil over a year ago. It was like new when i got it. I put between 4 and 6 hours on mine every weekend and i have had no probs and i rod on it. I clean my filter every ride and oil every 2 rides. The exs r good but the yfz has much more potential out of the box.

As far as the oil issue all you gotta do is the oil mod and ur good to go. TRADE the EX this is a no brainer to me!

eotrx400ex
08-20-2010, 06:10 PM
thank for all the replys!! it has a catch. shop told him head gasket needs replaced..still worth it? he's the 2nd owener. bought it off a 17 year old

mxpimp2000
08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by eotrx400ex
thank for all the replys!! it has a catch. shop told him head gasket needs replaced..still worth it? he's the 2nd owener. bought it off a 17 year old

pssht head gasket $30 bucks yea id trade

bryan.young1
08-21-2010, 12:01 AM
well i never owned a YFZ so i cant say weather they are good bikes or not but they have quite a following so i would say that there are good enough. I have however owned an 02 400EX and a 87 250X and there is one thing any Honda owner must never forget.......they are one of the most reliable quads ever built. some might even say grenade proof. I have told this story before but i have even had a friend that had his oil leak out while on the trail (plug fell out, his fault:P )and he didn't notice till he got back to his truck and the thing was completely empty no telling how long:) no damage just filled it back up new plug and hit the track the next day old girl never missed a beat. so i would say if you are happy with your EX and what it does for you keep it. If your looking to move up in motor size and performance then trade up. Good luck :)

yama450yfz
08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Just look it over really good cause no bike is good when it has underlying issues. That being said I have owned both if you like cruising around on the trails at low speed just taking it easy keep the ex. If you want to create stains in your underwear when you ride get the YFZ the power is night and day to the ex. If you are concerned about oiling do the 07' oil mod to the case.

400grl
08-27-2010, 06:00 PM
I went from a 440ex to my first 04 YFZ back in late 2003.....I would NEVER go back to my turd of a Honda! Handling on the YFZ will blow you away - the power is amazing.....I would get it and get the top end done, and go have some fun! :) PS - I have since had NOTHING but Yamaha's, including several YFZ450s and the new YFZ450R.....excellent quads!!

Honda's are reliable....sure....but they are boring. Yamaha's are just as reliable....you just have to take care of your machine. It's a high performance ATV, and you need to treat it as such.....

Good luck!

ohsobad_chevy
08-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
.......Yamaha's are just as reliable....you just have to take care of your machine. It's a high performance ATV, and you need to treat it as such.....

Good luck!

Werd! :cool:

eotrx400ex
09-21-2010, 04:16 PM
well i did the trade and found out it has after market A-arm's (not sure of the make).SS brake lines, ELKA Triple rate w/ Adj. preload an compression. After market axle, full CURTIS sparks exhaust and TAG bars AND stem?? now just have to see whats all needed other then head gasket.. dont think i came out bad with the trade?? thanks for all the feed back:D

mxpimp2000
09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
sounds nice post pics:D

eotrx400ex
09-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
sounds nice post pics:D will do!

eotrx400ex
10-31-2010, 08:42 PM
in need of some graphics

eotrx400ex
11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
for those wondering. it was worth the trade. the seating position is great with the yfz. the power is great in the woods on trails or track. don't get me wrong the 400ex are great bikes and i would owen another...but wont be trading my yfz for it:)

89trx250r
11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
just remember to take care of it cause its got a lot more complex motor then the air cooled 400 ex as long as you do that tho it will treat you great i love mine its a nice change from riding my 250r. goodluck :)

eotrx400ex
11-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
just remember to take care of it cause its got a lot more complex motor then the air cooled 400 ex as long as you do that tho it will treat you great i love mine its a nice change from riding my 250r. goodluck :) thanks and will do! even with the ex i changed the oil alot. i also tore the yfz down an split the case went through everything plus i did the 07+ oil update.
i wouldn't mine finding a 250r for a second toy but don't come across them to often

04yfz450nj
11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
id say go for it as far as the oiling problem idk what was with my yfz I got it brand new the first year it came out an rod just about every weekend up til 08 when I sold it had everything stock in the engine an I also ran it completly out of oil once an I still never had a problem one of the nuts fell off that holds the oil filter on but I jus did oil changes an adjusted the valves acouple times it always ran great.