PDA

View Full Version : yet another carb problem here ya go guys

beck125
08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
well just got it started, um i am tunning 91 pump gas 160 main jet, yosh slip on and an 11;1 comp piston, well i run today and got it started, but when it does run low rpms it backfires like a mother .....yeah,,.. and has no low end when it does acts as if the choke is on,.. its not, i did not know if its running to rich and should i go to 89 or 87 and see what she does

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 08:31 AM
what bore is it?
whats the rest of your jetting?
elevation?
open box or closed?

alot of stuff you have to fill us in on. I would venture to say that you have a 38 pilot, 160 main, and the needle is stock which is the 3rd clip position. stock bore possibly, which could make a 160 too big. a 416 is probably too small for the main. hard to say dude. steve

guenther
08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm with Steve on this one. If you are stock bore, 11:1, slip on, stock carb/needle position, you are probably too rich. With that said, every machine reacts just a little different. I'm at about the same elevation as you here in Iowa and I run a 155 and 42 with 416, stage 1 hot cam, 11:1, and R4 exhaust. My jetting is dead balls on. Your octane might be a little low as well but you would have to test it out with higher octane to see if it runs better. I run a mix of 91 and 110 to get me to around 95-96. Anything less and I start to ping under heavy load and anything more does nothing for performance.

beck125
08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
160 main stock everything else 11;1 comp .4 over or somethin . And idk talked to the guy at the dealer he said that it was probably the needle slide oh closed box as well. It idles fine and in neutral but when it gets under a load it won't run worth a damn. Also when I went down the big hill on our pasture the rpms lowered and it ran normal sorry for the typeos I am on my phone

beck125
08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Checked my plug its jet black. So I went back down a jet size fixed almost all of my problems but it still does it every once in a while. Could someone explain to me how to move the needle down a clip? I looked at the carb for a goodten min andit didn't dawn on me how to.

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 08:14 PM
there is a yellowish tinted plate on top of the carb, that has to come off. then there is an arm on the slide that has to have the top big phillips come out of the shaft. then at the bottom of the slide there are 2 small phillips heads, these are hard to get so be very careful, they strip easy. then once you get those loose, you have to fold the arm up and out of the way. the needle is then in the middle of the slide. i missed the year of your machine but is adjustable if 04 and less. you can slide the needle out of the slide housing itself and take the c-clip out of it and move up or down. up leans it, down richens. so with the point down you will want to go up 1 notch to lean it out, down 1 notch to richen it up. your case you would want to go up to the second clip position it sounds like. steve

honda400ex2003
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
heres a decent guide to show how to do it.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q121.pdf

i hope the link works, figure A is the inside under the cap. B is the bottom of the carb. steve

MidnightBlade
08-19-2010, 11:15 PM
if your bike is 2004 1/2 you cant adjust the needle clip. it is just a plastic float, really sucks

beck125
08-20-2010, 10:49 AM
She's an o2 its runnin better now with the smaller jet I will practice the needle thing on my broken carb 1st