PDA

View Full Version : Overrange setup question

mydirtkids
08-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Just bought a Malossi overrange kit. Still in the mail, but need to know if there is anything in particular to look for. Will go on stock DRR 90 cases with stock-size crank spline. The kit is supposed to come with everything needed as far as parts, just curious if anything needs to be done to fit the variator. Someone mentioned something about a boss, is this the large cap that goes over the crank seal? Also, what are people running for roller weights and clutch RPM. Hope to be making about 22-25 HP with the setup. Thanks

thequadfather+2
08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
yes, the black ring on the case behind the variator has to come off. It is actually pressed onto the case where the crank shaft comes through.

I had already put the cases back together when Marc Smith pointed it out that I should have removed it. I spent about 30 minutes with a dremel and cutting bit. We just cut it off. When you cut it all the way across it will pop loose and you can pull it off.

mydirtkids
08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Cool, I already had the cases apart to be matched to the cylinder. Just tapped it out through the crank opening....Dogsled style:D Thanks for the info...done

Now how about the stud that the starter gears used to ride on? Can't get that out (not sure if it matters). Think it is screwed in, but looks like it is possible pressed in.

thequadfather+2
08-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I didnt touch it, I dont think it matters.

Marc said the best way was to knock the ring out and thats how he did it but I had already put everything back together so I had to cut it off.

you may have to use the tiny thin spacer between the clutch and the bell. I had to use the one in the kit because my bell touched the clutch and when I rolled the quad forward the cylinder spun when the wheels turned....I dont know if the spacer is necessary on every machine but I had to use it.

bulldogfallon
08-19-2010, 08:58 AM
You should also machine the the cvt cover to allow for belt clearance in the rear.

Stock overange kit will not work on large splined 90cc crank.

It can be made to work, but the Malossi kit (stock) is set up for a small splined crank 50/70.

mydirtkids
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
The guy I bought it from was using it on the large spline, but never mentioned machining the cover. What is involved with this? Thanks

thequadfather+2
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I use the malossi kit and I did not have to make any changes to the CVT cover. ours is a 2009--90cc.

If Gary suggest machining the cover, that would be good enough for me.....

Iwouldnt have messed up half as much crap if I would have just asked them first.:D

mydirtkids
08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I have the s6 clutch and may get away with milling the inner spacer on the bell. Kit wont be here till monday but will fit everthing first. Will probably make more sense when I can look it over.
What weight rollers are you guys using for the 90 with high stall?

bulldogfallon
08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
We machine the CVT cover towards the rear where it starts to round...

It can sometimes have a sharp edge and/or not have enough clearance from the belt flapping around.

Just something we do....I have seen some that don't run it this way

It will have a different feel than a std CVT...some guys have a hard time gettng used to the OR kits.