PDA

View Full Version : Swing Arm bolt froze to the motor!!!!!

reptikes
08-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Dont know what to do to get it out! I held a rubber mallet and hit the hell out of it with an aluminum hammer and it did nothing. I heated it up a little and beat on it yet nothing.
Any suggestions?

My swing arm moves freely

Ratman
08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
LOL, good luck it just sucks! lube it, heat it, beat it and repeat.
then cut it and put it in a 8 ton press.

reptikes
08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
How did you cut it with out cutting into the motor or swing arm?

Ratman
08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
well first we put it in the press , didn't move it but it tweeked some thing witch gave us alittle room . did nick the swing arm a hair.

Scro
08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Your best bet is to let it soak in PB blaster (hours at a time), and use the biggest hammer/sledge you've got. Sometimes an air chisel works better than hitting it with a hammer.

beck125
08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
turn her on the side opp of the side your beatin, grab your favorite 50 lb sledge and give her hell, after a can of pb blaster of course but turning it on the side lets off the pressure if there is any

yama450yfz
08-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by beck125
turn her on the side opp of the side your beatin, grab your favorite 50 lb sledge and give her hell, after a can of pb blaster of course but turning it on the side lets off the pressure if there is any
What he said anyone who has rebuilt one of these machines has been through this.

clemsonteg
08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
This is something I have been meaning to do to mine just to see what would happen on my 06 and 07

Scro
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
It doesn't take long at all to take the bolt out. It's well worth the time to take it out and clean it every couple months, and avoid having to go through this. You can also have the bolt molycoated, which will prevent the bolt from ever becoming frozen.

clemsonteg
08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Scro
It doesn't take long at all to take the bolt out. It's well worth the time to take it out and clean it every couple months, and avoid having to go through this. You can also have the bolt molycoated, which will prevent the bolt from ever becoming frozen.

Should I put the quad up in the air and let the swing arm just hang?

tEXas400
08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
we soaked mine in PB blaster, beat it with a hammer and brass chisel... we had to work it back and forth

tap it out little by little on its side,

then tap it back in, then back out and it will loosen up, just got to work with it because it can be a pain

to me the hardest part of my build thus far

we tried a air hammer to no avail

you will get it, no doubts in my mind

sc400ex_rider
08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
just put it on its side, lube it for a couple of days.. then use a hammer and a block of wood, the bolt is soft and will mushroom. mine came out after 7 years. there should be a write up in the most pop or articles section.

levonskinator
08-21-2010, 11:34 PM
the only thing that worked for me was an air hammer. Bashing it with a sledge risks damaging the frame or motor if you miss your mark. Just get an air hammer with a flat bit, soak it in pb, and lean into the bolt with it. took me about a half hour but it came out with no damage to the motor or frame. The bolt was destroyed but thats no big deal. I picked up a stainless one on ebay for $20.

reptikes
08-22-2010, 08:36 AM
So far i've soaked in PB over night and BASHED it with a hammer... hasn't moved a hair!!!!:macho

I aint going to give up yet. Im gonna try the wood block over the bolt and give it more when swinging the hammer. Im holding back because if you miss you could have very bad results!

honda400ex2003
08-22-2010, 08:39 AM
every time i see one of these i cringe. I have my bearings and a new bolt waiting for me at home to do mine but i just dont want to fight it yet. :( i know it is past due for bearings though, they are starting to do some grinding. lol. steve

MidnightBlade
08-22-2010, 09:57 AM
i guess i got VERY lucky when i did mine, tapped it with a 4"x4" block of wood and a 4lb mini sledge and it slid right out. i also had the quad picked up by the grab bar on a chain hoist and sitting on the front wheels. it sat for 5 yrs and this is the first it has ever been out, slid out easy.

redneck000384
08-26-2010, 07:33 PM
My buddy and I went through that with mine. I anti-seized the hell out of it and put a fresh swing arm kit in it. Then I will pull it apart this winter and clean it up and anti-seize it again and put it back together.