PDA

View Full Version : 2000 400ex 3rd gear Problems

Dibble_Brandon
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Brandon and i'm new to this forum. I read all the sticky's to make sure i'm not asking a common question to!! haha I just bought my first ATV, a 2000 400ex. The guy i bought it from told me that it has a 426 kit with few hours on it, and a stage 2 hotcam in it, he "said" replaced 2nd and 3rd gear, White Brothers E series slip on, Tusk nerf bars/heal guard, after market plastics... I took it for my first ride at Florence, OR and i got out on some flats and under heavy acceleration in 3rd gear it feels like the clutch is slipping in and out of gear. Every other gear worked good for me for some time until i decided to trailer her. When I am sitting on it, I can only shift up to third gear then down also. On my sisters 300ex i can shift threw all of them, up and down. I am new to the ATV world and just wanted to get some input on what anyone would think it could be. :)

Also while i was riding it, I went to kill it on the beach and the starter kept going? If i put it in gear it would even roll until I started unplugging connections, and holding in the choke would completely kill it to. I plugged it all back in and it was good to go for 20 minutes, then it did it again. I bought new bars for it and the power/kill switch is really dirty inside. I was thinking about getting a new power/kill switch, a new key ignition (its in bad shape also), and a new starter solenoid to try and fix the problem. Is there anything else it could be?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks!

CJM
08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I would start by removing the clutch side (right side if your sitting on it) cover and see what the clutch looks like. However from what your saying I would assume the actual transmission may be damaged due to not wanting to shifter properly at all after you shut it down and 3rd slips.

Wheelie
08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Time to split the cases and time for a new starter solenoid.

Dibble_Brandon
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
So, is taking it to a shop going to cost a lot since its the bottom end? From what i have been reading, its probably either the shift forks or shift dogs for the gear?

OR... Is it really difficult to follow a manual and do it myself for a first time atv repair? Do you guys know were i can buy the parts new?

Thanks so much!

CJM
08-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Plenty of online places to get the parts, I like using service honda.

As for doing the job, depends on how skilled you are and if you can follow a manual. If you have never worked on engines like this it may be a good idea to have someone do it as you will need a few special tools like pullers and such so you can split the case apart.

Dibble_Brandon
08-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Well, I called around and the shops said it would cost $60 - $200 to diagnose the problem and probably around $750 for labor... does that sound about right, or should I call around some more?

Anyone know of some good shops in Oregon to do the repair?

The parts on service honda are pretty cheap for what, I think, I will be needing.

CJM
08-19-2010, 06:21 PM
They get you in shipping sometiems at service honda, but its still cheaper.

Labor and all sounds about right. At this point, I would do the following:

1. Figure out a way to verify the problem
1a. Perhaps find someone who works on them on the side, they charge alot less usually.
2. Do it yourself if possible
3. Buy parts quad with a good running engine

Dibble_Brandon
08-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I found a guy who only works with honda 400's and 450's on the side for fun, so i'm going to have him look at it! He said $200 for labor and I buy the parts. So, if he does good work, this is a hell of a deal!

My 400ex should be up and running in no time! As an added bonus, ill get to find out if it actually has a stage 2 cam, and the 426 kit.

rocky_mtn_honda
08-20-2010, 07:16 PM
i have a transmission available if your interested. pm me.

Dibble_Brandon
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey everyone! I just had another question.

Since im going to have the engine taken apart, is it better to stick with oem gaskets, or is there better, aftermaket gaskets?

While the guy has it apart, if it does have the mods, im going to have him do a nice port and polish also. Would it be better to just go mild, or all out race port and polish?

Thanks everyone :)

CJM
08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Id do a mild port and polish

You can use OEM gaskets, I went with cometic and got every single gasket for like 75 bucks, but i got the est kit, extreme seal or something for the heck of it. The regular set is only 50.

Dibble_Brandon
08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey Everyone... If I just said to heck with it and tried to sell the 400 as-is what would you guys ask for it?

I got all the new electrical parts but i just don't want to deal with it... new battery, starter solenoid, start/kill switch, and a new key ignition...

The guy i got it from told me it was a 426ex with stage 2 hotcam...

Dibble_Brandon
08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
do you guys think $1000 is to much to ask for it?

rocky_mtn_honda
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
with the problems your having, i'd say probably

Dibble_Brandon
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I put it all back together today with the new parts and now it wont even turn over? could my starter be dead now?

It just kept going and going, so its probably toast, correct?

MidnightBlade
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Dibble_Brandon
I found a guy who only works with honda 400's and 450's on the side for fun, so i'm going to have him look at it! He said $200 for labor and I buy the parts. So, if he does good work, this is a hell of a deal!

My 400ex should be up and running in no time! As an added bonus, ill get to find out if it actually has a stage 2 cam, and the 426 kit. ask him if you could come and watch when he tears it all apart, thats how i learned everything i know about mine. just took it to my dad's friend and watched/helped tear it down.