PDA

View Full Version : How to remove clutch basket/timing chain

sleepin400
08-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I am doing a timing chain swap, I have everything removed up to the clutch plate off. I dont know how to remove the bolt and the rest of the basket, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

atv fan 28
08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
A Service Manual. Buy one and read it. It will become your new best friend.:D

CJM
08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
you need a clutch holding tool (rocky mtn sells them) and in my case I used a cordless impact with I think a 2 inch or something socket. Worked like a charm. but you could use a breaker bar-the clutch holding tool is the most important as its much harder to remove it without it.

Will also need a punch to dent the nut back in/out.

VTredneckgames
08-18-2010, 05:18 AM
you dont have to have the tool.

People can fuss all they want about what Im going to say, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Impact gun will take it right off with ease. Or atleast it did on the past 4 that I have seen come off.

If I was doing it a lot, I would buy the tool. But I dont.

sleepin400
08-18-2010, 08:09 AM
thanks for the reply, I had a service manual on a cd but can't locate it.

Is the Nut regular threads, as in, to loosen turn left?

Are most people getting a new nut when they put it back together?

thanks for the help, didn't know if there was a secret. People kept calling it a lock nut so I wasn't sure.

VTredneckgames
08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I reused the same nut. Check it to make sure there are no cracks and you should be fine.

Cant remember which threads, pretty sure it is normal though. But dont believe me on that one, find out for certain first.

It locks by being staked into the groove on the crank. Once you get it tightened to spec, just take a punch to the nut right above the crank groove. This is locking mechanism for this particular application.

guenther
08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.maxmekker.com/atv/Manuals/Honda/Honda%20400ex.pdf

CJM
08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by VTredneckgames
you dont have to have the tool.

People can fuss all they want about what Im going to say, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Impact gun will take it right off with ease. Or atleast it did on the past 4 that I have seen come off.

If I was doing it a lot, I would buy the tool. But I dont.

Considering not everyone has an impact gun the tool is worth the cash, its like 15 bucks..

VTredneckgames
08-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Considering not everyone has an impact gun the tool is worth the cash, its like 15 bucks..

in that case definately get it.

Ive had people throw a fit about using an impact gun though, thats all im refering to.