freshkidd
08-17-2010, 06:13 PM
which one runs faster stock

coryatver
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
trx. kfx is the slowest 450 stock

ish416
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Stock for stock the KFX450 has the slowest top speed of any 450.

As far as a drag race, the KFX450 should be able to pull away from a stock or even piped, jetted and filtered TRX450R. The KFX should be able to pull about 2.5 quad lengths in a 300ft drag, both with identical riders.

Once you start putting some money into the quads, a KFX450 with just the basics; intake, exhaust and fuel controller, will pull all of the 450s with the same mods.

If you are interested in purchasing one, I would not buy a Honda 450 until maybe the next revision.

Thumpin
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
I sand drag 300'-400' on my DS450x against my buddies piped, filtered, programed, KFX450 and it isn't even a close race no matter who is rided what machine! The KFX450 is one of the slowest 450's of the bunch. I even raced him when he was stock with my 416ex, we both had the same paddles, and I'd pull him right off the line and left him the rest of the race. After he piped and filtered his KFX it was a switched race, he was smokin on my 416ex every time. I would look for a differant 450 than the KFX, it just wasn't too impressive in any way when I rode it, and it was very uncomfy, I have never rode a TRX450, but if its a honda its got to ride better and wake up more with mods.

The YFZ's, DS's, LTR's are much stronger 450's, I wish I could ride a healthy TRX to tell you otherwise.

MtnEX
09-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Yall are FOS!!! :D

All of the 450's are fairly close... dead dog stock or basic mods.

Dead dog stock, the KFX is quick... and can be pretty lethal out of the hole and for a long ways if you know how to shift through it's short gear ratios.

Dead dog stock verses the TRX is is quicker and very slightly faster on top end. The discrepancy shows up because there is almost no such thing as a dead dog stock TRX out there. It's near impossible to find someone who hasn't ponied up for at least more intake flow and rejetted to match (CHEAP).

Now... changing the front sprocket on the KFX to a 15t ($9) will allow it to run the same top speeds as the 450's that have the fastest stock speeds.

Do all the basic mods to the KFX and it is an extremely quick and pretty fast ride. But those basic mods cost a heck of a lot more to do on the KFX than they do on the TRX... and that's just the facts.

And for the guy with the 416EX story... Look, I know this is a honda forum and started out as exriders and all....

But man I have both... and I am here to tell anyone... love my 400EX... still have it... but not even the most extreme 440EX builds have anything for a stock KFX or any stock 450.

And I mean if you want to put like $2500 in a 440 build, extreme, requiring race gas... yes then you can finally get into the HP neighborhood of the 450's. But you won't stay there long into the runs, still won't be as quick, and the motor won't stay together long. Just don't make sense.

A 416EX isn't going to run with a KFX period... much less whip up on it.

If it would I am here to tell you right now... I would be the last person on the planet you'd see on a 450.

I would have done a frame-off rebuild, 416 kit on top of a reverse bottom, topped off with head work, plus top of the line suspension all the way around... still had money left over, and never looked back, except to see the faces of the 450 riders with their crushed egos...

But it just isn't so.

ish416
09-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Completely agree with MtnEX.

Stiles86
09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
they all end up the same...its what you do to it...imo

scotturban
12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah they are all pretty close, Ive raced em all stock, raced em all modified, About the same everywhere, its in dirtwheels about every month lol

fmfhonda250r
12-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I have had alot of hondas and a kawi all with built motors. The kawi "feels" slower but is no slouch. I have porting,hc piston,+2 tb,programer,fci,pipe,cams and similar stuff on the honda. The kawi is quite a bit faster out of the hole similar mid range but the honda will pull it on top end just slightly. Thats from my experence

89rebel
12-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I owned the kfx before and really did like it alot. The seat SUCKS and you at the least need brass bar inserts for the vibration. The intake is miserably just a dumb design, but once you put an FCI intake and exaust system on it ( i had Motoworks SR4 with fmi ) ,its a very fast and fun quad. Very fun to jump in stock form. I own an '08 ltr 450 now and thats not a bad quad either but I like the reverse feature of the kfx and its better for trail riding i do, the kfx is good at everything and very versatile, I like them!! anyone wanna trade???

MX_Racer_20
12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
heres how my kfx has faired against the hondas i've raced

buddies 07 trx 450r with full exhaust and jet kit vs my stock 08 kfx...he would beat me pretty easy

same 07 trx vs my kfx with full exhaust and fuel programmer....pretty dead even. he'd win some and i'd win some. neither would beat the other by more then a quad length

same 07 trx again vs my kfx with full exhaust, fuel programmer, and fuel customs intake......have yet to race since adding the intake

buddies brother wanted to race me on his stock 05 trx after i put on the intake..... kawi all the way...it wasn't even close....lol

chronicsmoke
12-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I've got both, Obviously my trx is modded and the KFX is not.. But the way they are, It's not even close, and I dont have crazy engine work done. I pull by it and keep pulling away. I dont want to mod the KFX so I dont know what it would be like with the big 3 done to it..

I hate it to be honest. I'm constantly blowing the 20A fuse under the hood. It runs mint, then I wash it, and the fuse blows..

My 05 TRX is SO much easier to work on. F*** EFI IMO.. I can trouble shoot mechanical parts

Although the KFX can be fast.. I just dont have the money/ambition to do it up. really light though.. I'll give them that.

If it wasnt for the EFI I'd like it alot more.

MtnEX
12-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I've got both, Obviously my trx is modded and the KFX is not.. But the way they are, It's not even close, and I dont have crazy engine work done. I pull by it and keep pulling away. I dont want to mod the KFX so I dont know what it would be like with the big 3 done to it..

I hate it to be honest. I'm constantly blowing the 20A fuse under the hood. It runs mint, then I wash it, and the fuse blows..

My 05 TRX is SO much easier to work on. F*** EFI IMO.. I can trouble shoot mechanical parts

Although the KFX can be fast.. I just dont have the money/ambition to do it up. really light though.. I'll give them that.

If it wasnt for the EFI I'd like it alot more.

You won't find me disagreeing with you.

The TRX can be hopped up CHEAP and easy. And it's just simple.

The KFX is pretty expensive and aggravating to mod up. But once it is done, you wouldn't even believe the output is coming from the same motor.

The feel on the KFX is super light and tight... where as the TRX feels heavy and sloppy in comparison. Haven't quite figured that out.

I would like the KFX a lot more if it wasn't EFI too...

As for your main fuse... water is getting down in the fuse block I'd say... that or you have a naked wire somewhere.

Take all your connectors apart and put in a little dielectric grease. Take the main fuse out and do the same. Then make sure the main wire there is sealed up good so it retards water away from the fuse.

chronicsmoke
12-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks man, I'll check it out..

I know that the KFX can be made stupid fast, theres a reason why it won Dirtwheels 450 Mod shoot out. I really do like how agile it feels, its nothing to throw it around.

But the electronics on it are crazy lol, thats why I bought a 450r. No battery, no problems!!

MX_Racer_20
12-14-2010, 08:36 AM
i have yet to have a single problem with anything on my 08 kfx :ermm:

no fuse blowing, no roll over sensor, no problem with cold starts or anything

chronicsmoke
12-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Yah i dont know why mine does.. I swapped the engine with an 09.. maybe thats why..

But I'd still take my Honda over it anyday.. Im 6'2 so the kfx feels smaller.. Though it is retardedly light

MX_Racer_20
12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
i'm 6'2'' as well. my only complaint is the hard seat :eek:

MtnEX
12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by MX_Racer_20
i'm 6'2'' as well. my only complaint is the hard seat :eek:

I don't notice that as much anymore...

Well so long as I stay off my other quads I don't... lol...

Put some time in on their pillows though, and when I go back to the KFX I feel like I have a 2x6 wrapped in a gripper seat cover... lol

strubby
12-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I went from a TRX450r to my KFX, so I figured I'd chime in. I hated the Honda at first, til I did some bolt ons and suspension, then I loved it. It was super reliable and handled great AFTER the rebuilds. However, my first ride on my cousin's KFX (DASA, PC, FCI) made me want one. I had a few quirks to work out but from EXPERIENCE, this KFX is faster. My buddy rides a TRX still with a few more mods and openly admits it's quicker. His topspeed is faster tho, stock sprockets on my bike. He also has a fraction of them money into his bike than I do (including bike purchase). Another thing I miss about the Honda, you simply can't find deals for the KFX quite like the Honda. All in all, the KFX is the faster more advanced bike. It handles better and has more potential. However, the Honda has plenty of pros, such as being cheap, inexpensive to build and very reliable. That's my $.02...

MX_Racer_20
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM

buddies 07 trx 450r with full exhaust and jet kit vs my stock 08 kfx...he would beat me pretty easy

same 07 trx vs my kfx with full exhaust and fuel programmer....pretty dead even. he'd win some and i'd win some. neither would beat the other by more then a quad length

same 07 trx again vs my kfx with full exhaust, fuel programmer, and fuel customs intake......have yet to race since adding the intake

buddies brother wanted to race me on his stock 05 trx after i put on the intake..... kawi all the way...it wasn't even close....lol

finally got to race my buddies 07 trx since i added the intake to my kfx.

we raced them down a straight flat field and i pull ahead of him from the start all the way to the end. i'd say 3-4 bike lengths by the end.

MX_Racer_20
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

finally got to race my buddies 07 trx since i added the intake to my kfx.

we raced them down a straight flat feild and i pull ahead of him from the start all the way to the end. i'd say 3-4 bike lengths by the end.

ds19
02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I used to ride a piped z400 and I in drag races I could hang with my brothers piped and programmed kfx450.

89trx250r
02-13-2011, 08:06 PM
lol ds19 that isnt even remotely true if it is your brother must be the worst rider ever he must have been using 1 hand to gas and clutch as was stated earlier there is no 400 that is gonna even come close to a 450...

MtnEX
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
You could build the fool out of a Z400 and basically have a 450.... no doubt.

But a piped Z400 is not hanging with a KFX450.

scotturban
02-13-2011, 09:08 PM
DS19 Isnt To Far Off, When My Kawi Was Piped With Pc3 and that was it I only had a couple quad lengths on z400 with full hmf

MtnEX
02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I really like the Z400, and sometimes I wish I instead had an '09 Z400.

But it would have to have a pipe, intake and a 450cc kit... or at least a pretty impressive big bore kit.

The 400 motor does pretty well for what it is when it can breathe. It gets in the neighborhood of stock 450's when it can. Do a big bore kit and stuff and it can be capable of true 450 class power... but if you think about it, you basically have the same thing there so why wouldn't it?

Nice part though is it still has that heavy flywheel for good trail manners.

On the other hand, the KFX450 starts out right about where a lightly modded Z400 ends up. Let the KFX450 breathe on full exhaust and full intake (lightly modded) and it is then up there where a fully modded Z400 would be.

Not all of us are just drag racing buddies either. Some of us consider other things like handling, chassis, etc.

Some of us race MX and some race XC too. I ran mine XC and can tell you without a doubt the 400's were in my way out there. And I am fat, out of shape, could hardly breathe and was getting the life beat out of me from stock suspension I am too heavy for. So I couldn't even ride anywhere near the potential of the 450 engine.

There was nowhere to pass and they could hear me letting out to stay out of their rear end. They finally one by one realized they were getting tired too and were never going to shake me and were good enough to pull off after a while. I'm sure I changed a few minds out there with the sight alone... had to look like a fat rag doll hanging on to a jackrabbit for dear life.

MONSTERKFX450r
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by ds19
I used to ride a piped z400 and I in drag races I could hang with my brothers piped and programmed kfx450. Yeah. i dont think so..