PDA

View Full Version : Sand Duner Setups?

Thumpin
08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I searched sand duner setups and there wasn't too much info on that subject, so I'd like to hear and see everyones Dune EX's!

I want to know about everyones engine mods, exhaust, intake setups, paddles, suspension, gearing, and what else makes your EX into a mean dune machine!

I've noticed with my setup and 20"Sand Stars that sand really eats up engine power. So I'm torn on how to setup my own engine, do I want Horsepower or Torque? Lots of Both would be perfect but at 416cc I have to choose one or the other.

Thanks for any replys!

bkelley
08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
First step is to get some Skat~Traks. Any serious duner will tell you the same. Other paddle tires don't even come close. They have so much hookup it's insane.

Thumpin
08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I've heard Skat Traks with the strait paddle really do get ya hookin! How many paddles are on yours Bkelley?

togup
08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
scat tracks hook up very well but are for the most part a straight line drag tire ,the prices for scat tracks are rediculous especially since in all actuallity a crappy lawnmower tire with the tread skint off with a heat gun and paddles vulconized to the tire,seriously they dont even try to cut off the lawn tire lettering ,for some reason that pisses me off its like they are trying to rip you off with out hiding it. I like the directional sand tire they dont bite like a scat track but they handle turns better. Deffinitly get front bladed tires they are a necessity, the sand is soft so suspension is not as important but youll need more motor .

bkelley
08-17-2010, 08:26 PM
They recycle tires, yes. But that doesn't mean they aren't high quality. It's good for the environment, anyways. They buy surplus tires from companies that would normally just throw them away. You can even send them some of you own tires and they will shave them down and convert them into whatever you want for like $60. I run a 21x12x8 6 paddle Extreme. Nice wide foot print that provides great hookup. It's a perfect tire for our bike. You could also go with a 7 blade Hauler. I have mine mounted on DWT blue labels and the tire and wheel together only weight 13lbs.

Here's a thread about my experience with them.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=433528

tri5ron
08-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Although I'm not a "Duner", any engine mods for a 400EX will give the same benefits to a duner, as they would for any other style of riding.
Besides paddle tires, you might want to drop one tooth on the primary sprocket. Possibly an extended swing arm, if that's what floats your boat.
Make sure your airfilter is clean and secure with no leaks, use a outerwears, a spal fan can't hurt, keep your oil clean, and you should be good to go.

atv fan 28
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Like bkelley said i would invest in some Haulers. They weigh alot less than Sand Stars. Yes they are a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

gt400ex
08-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Haulers are great for the sand! Also people say they are a straight line only tire, not true. I can get my bike to slide around just like sand stars. Try dropping a tooth on the front and maybe going up one or two on the back, this is a lot cheaper then engine work.

Pabst_Powered
08-18-2010, 10:12 AM
22/8/10 Dune Runners, 20/10/10 Skat-Trak Edges 8 paddle on Douglas Blues, 14/38 gearing(might try a 13T labor day weekend), everything else is just like in my sig., works fine for me

Chukkinsod
08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
20x10x10 Skat trak Hauler 8pdl's are the way to go. Even with minimal mods you can easily turn these. Great hook up and even though many dont seem to think they "slide" as well as others on the dunes.......some of the best sand skates I have seen were with straight paddles. For the front my opinion adding mohawk or smooth buffs reduces the unsprung/rotating weight making it easier to throw around and overall more fun to ride.

bkelley
08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Chukkinsod
20x10x10 Skat trak Hauler 8pdl's are the way to go. Even with minimal mods you can easily turn these. Great hook up and even though many dont seem to think they "slide" as well as others on the dunes.......some of the best sand skates I have seen were with straight paddles. For the front my opinion adding mohawk or smooth buffs reduces the unsprung/rotating weight making it easier to throw around and overall more fun to ride. I wouldn't run anything more than 7 paddles with a 400EX. Even 450 guys run 7 paddle Haulers.

Pabst, that's a clean looking EX. I really need to powder coat my sand wheels black.