View Full Version : 250r motor in 250x

Bwetzel55
08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Ok so im buying a honda 250x thats blown up and the case is cracked from the chain. I'm getting it really cheap for only $100. Does anybody know how easily a 250r engine would fit in it?

250Renvy
08-16-2010, 09:40 PM
NOT easy.

Bwetzel55
08-16-2010, 10:05 PM
thats what my buddie said but i'm up for a challenge, You think a ltr250 or a trx 250r which one would be eaiser to use?

woodsracer144
08-17-2010, 02:11 AM
honestly, I have a 250x chassis in my shop and a set of cases and a 250r cyl to do a mock up, you could do it, it would take time to do it right, or a few hours to do a chop deal, but i would do a 350x swap, they make some Crazy CC's all the way to 430's or bigger, Power roll sells a mount kit and i think i will end up running a 350X swap in my chassis i have, i was going to do a 250F from the start but thats too much money...

C41Xracer
08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
its tight but can be done, i know this beacause my dad bought one in the 90's from GT thunder. It had a stock 86 motor in and it was a handful because of the short wheel base.

wilkin250r
08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
The short wheelbase is definitely a problem for increased power. Plus, the shocks aren't very long, increased power means increased speed, which requires better suspension. I'm not sure the 250x stock suspension is going to give you the performance you need.

If you're DYING to do an engine swap, I'd suggest the 350X. With just a few mods, it can be made as fast (or faster) than a stock 400EX.

With the 350X, you can also do a rear-end swap. It's not much more difficult than a couple spacers, and it gives you a few extra inches in your wheelbase, which will greatly improve the suspension characteristics.

troybilt
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I always like the CR80 or KX80 swap... pretty cool setup back in the day.

woodsracer144
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I always like the CR80 or KX80 swap... pretty cool setup back in the day.

unless you 8 thats not much motor for the quad, i got a RM100 I was thinking about swaping in that chassis have and it would not be worth me time cause me or afew frinds of mine would be riding it, i'm 6'1 and 145-155 lbs and I like things that have a little pull to them, i dont like the light switch power but i like a little hit with them to know they have power. wit that RM100 in it i would have been a HUGE turd and I'm sure that would be an AWSOME set up to do in one of the JB 90's or something that is a dual a-arm chassis set up.

but with you 250x deal i will say the 350x is prolly your best bet, and if you wanna make it more custom you can do a rear end job like stated and work on the front end to get better handlen out of it.

all in all thought its your quad, your money, and your time, all we can do is tell you what we think are good ideas. if you wanted to be a R1 in that thing you could do it, its just how bad do you want it in there...

atvmxr
08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
blaster motor? small, lightweight, lots of parts available, and can get decent power. would probably be inline with the chassis dimensions and not overpower it - too much :)

troybilt
08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
unless you 8 thats not much motor for the quad, i got a RM100 I was thinking about swaping in that chassis have and it would not be worth me time cause me or afew frinds of mine would be riding it, i'm 6'1 and 145-155 lbs and I like things that have a little pull to them, i dont like the light switch power but i like a little hit with them to know they have power. wit that RM100 in it i would have been a HUGE turd and I'm sure that would be an AWSOME set up to do in one of the JB 90's or something that is a dual a-arm chassis set up.

but with you 250x deal i will say the 350x is prolly your best bet, and if you wanna make it more custom you can do a rear end job like stated and work on the front end to get better handlen out of it.

all in all thought its your quad, your money, and your time, all we can do is tell you what we think are good ideas. if you wanted to be a R1 in that thing you could do it, its just how bad do you want it in there...

I KNOW they are not monster motors, not every motor has to be 400 plus CC's to be cool... I rode and raced 80's and 125's back in the late 80's and early 90's. The 250x chassis isn't much to start with, I remember those hybrids, in fact I believe Spader used to race one before the 250rs.... anyway. Would be a cool build. yeah I'm 6'0 230 and it wouldn't haul me around very good, but still a cool build, nonetheless. I will build one for my stable someday, because its a part of history...

woodsracer144
08-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I KNOW they are not monster motors, not every motor has to be 400 plus CC's to be cool... I rode and raced 80's and 125's back in the late 80's and early 90's. The 250x chassis isn't much to start with, I remember those hybrids, in fact I believe Spader used to race one before the 250rs.... anyway. Would be a cool build. yeah I'm 6'0 230 and it wouldn't haul me around very good, but still a cool build, nonetheless. I will build one for my stable someday, because its a part of history...

I'll agree they would be one of a kind, you should look in to some of them shifter kart motors from europe with that...

Bwetzel55
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Ok thanks for all of the idea's. I'll be getting that 250x hopefully real soon. I'm gonna tear into that engine. If it ain't to bad i'll probly just rebuild it an put a new side case on it. But if its a mess i'll do somesort of engine swap. It's gonna be a beater quad so i'm not real worried about the handleing if i can get a 250r engine in it.