PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a 06 450er need help !

t-train
08-16-2010, 05:55 PM
"I have an 06 Honda 450r that I traded my dirtbike for and the guy said it needed a carb clean because it bogged a lil and backfired. well we cleaned the carb still same story, the only things it could need is a valve adjustment, or carb rebuild which both cost about 70 bucks and are an easy fix. it still runs and is a beast and u can ride it. I would love to keep it I just don't have the time to fix it. its black has an hmf slip on, nerf bars, and wheel spacers. I will trade it for an older 450r yfz450 or raptor or z400 ltz400 or kfx400 in good shape."

I'm looking at trading my 06 kfx 400 for this 450. My question is would a valve out af wack cause this that he describes or could it be something more serous ? What should I look for when/if I go test this out, or is it worth the trade ?

Thanks for your help,
Tom

DnB_racing
08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
valves, carb, jets, air cleaner, bad gas, old plug, can all cause the symptoms you decsribed do a qiuck tuneup and would be willing to bet it will be just fine

t-train
08-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Would it be easy to tell if the valves are out(pop, pings, rattles) just by riding it or letting it idle . Should I ride the crap out of it or would it be easy to tell if it ready to blow up ?

DnB_racing
08-17-2010, 07:34 AM
hard starting poor idling are some signs of bad valves..... dont ride it do a tune up first and you wont destroy the motor! its easy to adjust valves it takes about 30 minutes and you will be sure

t-train
08-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I've been trying to get to the full story on this quad and this is what he has told me .
"it bogs at 3/4 throttle and only sometimes.. I don't know if the valves have been adjusted or when the oil was changed last I haven't had it long and wasnt given much history on it. At times it will idle without hitting the gas other times it won't, no motor noise. The motor runs good besides the backfires and bog "

This sounds like an abused 450er, What do you'll think good oil change, new plug, new filter, valve adjust sound like a problem solver ?

exrider12
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Real simple fix. New gas, clean air filter, change oil, adjust valves, clean carb. It should run just fine after that doesnt sound very major at all.

Make sure its clean and looks well taken care of.

kono993
08-19-2010, 06:01 PM
and its prob jetting that could be the poping and backfiring try to get a jet kit

turboTony
08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
If you didn't have any history on it, the VERY FIRST thing you should have done is a basic tune up at the LEAST! :ermm:
Fluids, filters, plug, valves checked...