PDA

View Full Version : Interview question help

ryansblaster
08-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey guys I have a interview wednesday for a new jobat pepsi . At the job I'm at now I didn't have an interview and I'm nervous about how to answer the questions so how about a few pointers? I know a few questions from a friend are "what are your greatest qualities and weaknesses"? "Why do you want to work here"? and "why should I hire you"? any good answers or tips are appreciated

Quad18star
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
First off .. be yourself and don't lie . Don't tellem you know how to do something when you don't ( ie don't tell them you're an expert at Excel when you are just a beginner) .

Here's a few questions you can expect.

What do you know about the Pepsi Company ? - By this they means what do you know about the brand and the company. You could answer this by maybe saying they are one of the largest distributors in the World ( BTW look all this info up ... I don't know the real answers) , they have 'X' amount of employees worldwide , maybe they do a lot of volunteer work in communities . Talk about the brands they distribute ( maybe they distribute a different name brand of water , different types of colas , etc).

You'll definately be asked WHY you want to work for them.

Describe your skills and weaknesses.

Describe a time where you had to make a decision or how you handled a tough situation (ie situation with a coworked , situation where a customer wasn't happy).

They'll want to know your background ... if it's a job bottling they may want to know past experience ...if it's customer service they may want to knwo your experience in CS.

They'll probably ask What you can bring to the company ... how would you be an asset to them.

Why should they hire you over the next guy in line.

Be prepared to be asked about salary expectations and your flexibility to work shift work , OT , weekends possibly.

Remember that the interview is for them to get to know you as a person and get a feel for the type of worker that you would be . Of course they want to know if you know the product , but that is only worth about 5% to them . It's easy to teach someone a product or service ... it's HARD to teach someone how to work hard and put in an honest day's work (and that's what they're lookign for in the interview ... someone that's able and willing).

Kickstarts-suck
08-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Tell them what they would want to hear :p

Scro
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
First off .. be yourself and don't lie . Don't tellem you know how to do something when you don't ( ie don't tell them you're an expert at Excel when you are just a beginner) .

Here's a few questions you can expect.

What do you know about the Pepsi Company ? - By this they means what do you know about the brand and the company. You could answer this by maybe saying they are one of the largest distributors in the World ( BTW look all this info up ... I don't know the real answers) , they have 'X' amount of employees worldwide , maybe they do a lot of volunteer work in communities . Talk about the brands they distribute ( maybe they distribute a different name brand of water , different types of colas , etc).

You'll definately be asked WHY you want to work for them.

Describe your skills and weaknesses.

Describe a time where you had to make a decision or how you handled a tough situation (ie situation with a coworked , situation where a customer wasn't happy).

They'll want to know your background ... if it's a job bottling they may want to know past experience ...if it's customer service they may want to knwo your experience in CS.

They'll probably ask What you can bring to the company ... how would you be an asset to them.

Why should they hire you over the next guy in line.

Be prepared to be asked about salary expectations and your flexibility to work shift work , OT , weekends possibly.

Remember that the interview is for them to get to know you as a person and get a feel for the type of worker that you would be . Of course they want to know if you know the product , but that is only worth about 5% to them . It's easy to teach someone a product or service ... it's HARD to teach someone how to work hard and put in an honest day's work (and that's what they're lookign for in the interview ... someone that's able and willing).

This is all good advice. Make sure you are dressed appropriately, go in with confidence, and be honest. First impressions go a long way.

Quad18star
08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Scro
This is all good advice. Make sure you are dressed appropriately, go in with confidence, and be honest. First impressions go a long way.

Exactly.

Always make sure your fly is zipped up !!!;)

ryansblaster
08-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the great advice Quad18star!!

Quad18star
08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ryansblaster
Thanks for the great advice Quad18star!!

No Problem .

If you have any other questions , let me know.

I've been through many interviews ... both being the one interviewed and conducting interviews.

destey
08-17-2010, 04:58 AM
I used to agree with the posters in this thread but at my current job I've seen many people who were good workers apply for internal jobs and then get passed up for someone that is a smooth talker. Getting ahead in the business world IMO is more about having good personality skills rather than good job skills.

smr
08-17-2010, 06:11 AM
quad18star gave you some really good advice.

I interview lots of young people and here are some things I see them do that will turn things bad for you.

TURN OFF YOUR DAMN CELL PHONE....there is no need to text while setting in the loby. just chill out and relax.

If you smoke or chew...leave it in the car and don't smoke on your way to the interview. I know this sounds cheasey but don't go to an interview with tobacco in your shirt pocket.

don't use txt talk or ebonacs during the interview. (you would be surprised) this happens more with the college grads than highschoolers.

good luck

RedSonya
08-17-2010, 06:34 AM
This is all fantastic advice. I've interviewed hundreds of people over the last 22 years, and would just add:

1 - Never badmouth your previous employer. You'd be surprised at how many people do this.
2 - Smile. I know it's hard when you're nervous, and you want to show that you're serious about getting this job, but at least give a friendly smile when introducing yourself and later, when thanking them for their time. People like to hire likeable people. They need to know that you can get along with other people in the organization.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

Guy400
08-17-2010, 07:08 AM
In addition to all of this, don't ramble. When I ask questions during interviews I'm looking for candid responses but some people go off on tangents and next thing I know they're telling me about how they crapped their pants in the 3rd grade or something.

rbgnwa45
08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
What do you know about the Pepsi Company

Knowing random facts about the company that don't pertain to your job description, although stupid, will get you a job. It shows that you've put thought into it. I was interviewed by Walmart and I didn't know when the company was founded, which was apparently bad. I didn't know anything about it besides they have low costs to the consumer because they buy products from foreign countries that pay their workers pennies a week but I didn't mention that.

Describe a time where you had to make a decision or how you handled a tough situation

I had a tough time with this question during a Walmart interview because the only time I've encountered a problem working in a slaughter-plant is when someone threatened someone else while knives were in their hands. I didn't do anything because I wasn't the floor manager. She didn't believe that in 1 year I didn't have a single problem besides that. I was asked something like "if two people were fighting or arguing, what would be your course of action?", so I told the woman it wasn't my problem. I told her I wasn't getting hurt because you hired the wrong person and the only thing I can do is report it in hopes they're later fired. What happends if I try to break up a fight and get stabbed with a box-cutter? I could sue, therefore it's wiser that I stay out of it. Would you atleast say something? No, why would I want to stop an arguement when I'd rather let people go at it so they get fired later? I don't want to work with people who fight & argue while they're supposed to be working. They didn't call me back. You want a tough situation? Kill and keep completely sanitary 350 lambs in 8 hours with 8 people instead of pushing buttons, stocking shelves, and asking retarded questions that you don't know the answers to yourself. I didn't say any of that but it's what I was thinking.

With that being said, be truthfull right up until you're asked questions like that. Maybe you're too smart for your own good or you're so nervous that you aren't selling yourself as best as possible. If you're asked something like "why do you want to work for us?", don't say something like "because it's easy" or "I think I can do it". At Pepsi, you're probably going to do something anyone can do. Say something like "I love Pepsi products" and "my skills compliment the duties".

Smile, be polite, and use manners. I wasn't hired by Walmart that week but I was by Wendy's because "you seem like such a nice guy". I was so nervous about flipping burgers. I soon didn't like it, not because of what I had to do but because I heard a beeping sound behind me so I turned around and took a batch of fries out of oil, the manager saw it and said "you're doing really well, not like the last person". While appreciated, I also realised a lot of the people they hired didn't have common sense and I would be doing 5 jobs instead of only grilling. I didn't mind but I could one day see myself being fired because I didn't do someone else's duties when I've shown that I could.

Don't wear cologne unless it's sex panther.

CJM
08-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Getting the job b/c of a good interview is key, but dont fret if its just small time kinda thing. Now if it were for a management position or something I could understand.

Ive worked tons of places and always found interviewing very easy. I just tell them what they want to hear, dress rather well, be friendly and outgoing, and be likable (easy for me). Its all in how you act, but I have seen some real (sarcasm) class acts hired at various places and it was a wonder they could tie their own shoes let alone interview.

Im sorry but thats just kinda sad if walmart was interested that much in interviewing you..its walmart for god sakes, not a real hard job to do and not the kinda job that you need a brain for.

Not bad mouthing you, but the IQ level of the workers at my local walmart makes 8 year old kids seem more intelligent.

rbgnwa45
08-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Im sorry but thats just kinda sad if walmart was interested that much in interviewing you..its walmart for god sakes, not a real hard job to do and not the kinda job that you need a brain for.

Not bad mouthing you, but the IQ level of the workers at my local walmart makes 8 year old kids seem more intelligent.

Bahaahahaa... I was interviewed at Walmart 3 times for a night-shift to unload trucks.

smr
08-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Bahaahahaa... I was interviewed at Walmart 3 times for a night-shift to unload trucks.

One of the best jobs to have in our area is at the wal mart DC. It's a highpaying job that people like.

rbgnwa45....telling an interviewer "it's not my problem" is a big no no. It didn't matter what the question was, they just wanted to so if you had modivation to be a leader.

rbgnwa45
08-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I understood that... after. It made sense to me when I said it. If I saw two employees duking it out I would report it right away, not jump in and make the company liable for my injuries. I should have said only "I'd report it to my manger", but I thought they were expecting me to break something up, which isn't exactly a wise action. It's my duty to report a problem so it would be mine. DC salary in Canadian walmarts start at $10-14 I believe. While waiting, I noticed my fly was undone :ermm:, not something I easily forget.

We all probably go through 5 interviews before we know how to make the most of an important one.

Go to a slaughter-plant and they won't even interview you. Are you afraid of blood? No. Can you be here everyday? Yes. Do you have transportation? Yes. Do you have boots? Yes. You're hired!

ryansblaster
08-18-2010, 09:51 PM
my interview was today it went good. The guy ended up asking easy questions not the typical interview questions. He said they were interviewing people now so they already have people to hire when they are ready to