PDA

View Full Version : dyno 450

450Rida
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
so i had my quad on the dyno today at work. it is mostly stock except for a hmf full pipe, pink wire cut, and no lid. with the pink wire cut you gain 5 hp. with an exhaust baffle in you gain 2 hp in mid but lose one hp on the top end. after several runs the best set up is with the lid on, no baffle, and wire cut. it ran 44 hp at 75mph and 30 ft of torque. my printer ran out of ink so ill have the dyno sheets up tomorrow.
here some pics of it on tho for now

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/ride-red666/pcing%20frame/quads/SSPX0833.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/ride-red666/pcing%20frame/quads/SSPX0832.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/ride-red666/pcing%20frame/quads/SSPX0831.jpg
exhaust baffle

florentino
08-16-2010, 05:00 PM
you are using a dyno where you can only put one tire and you maybe making at least 1 or 2 more hps. because you dont have the other rim and tire. there more then 20lbs in only mone rim and tire.
thats weird that you are making more hps with the lid on.
put i hi flow filter and see what happens,

450Rida
08-16-2010, 05:22 PM
ya its a street bike dyno, the mechanic says it only be about half a hp differecnce with the other tire on a drum. its runs too lean with the lid off. im gonna do some head porting this winter to max power output.

florentino
08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 450Rida
ya its a street bike dyno, the mechanic says it only be about half a hp differecnce with the other tire on a drum. its runs too lean with the lid off. im gonna do some head porting this winter to max power output.

you can make or loose one or more hp from new tires to bold tires.
also let remember that 20 lbs is a lot cause it maybe more like 40lbs cause its moving.
i think your motor is reving real soon too.
also you are supose to slick tires.
and the stock ds will do a top speed of 79 mph. same as the yfz and trx. i have done this test in onpen hi ways. with gps.
just my 2 cents not trying to bash at all.
put on the rim and doit again.

450Rida
08-16-2010, 07:42 PM
you cant put the rim on and run on this dyno, the quad has to be level to get correct readings. they are shaved tires we used, alot cheaper than buying the street tires. gps is not as accurate as a dyno, this is the most accurate way of tuning a quad. why do you think my motor is reving too soon? it dont hit the limiter till 10 000 rpm. it idles a little hi but thats cause my altitude here is much greater than most places. i live up here in alberta, canada. the power commander will allow me to tune it for my climate.

florentino
08-16-2010, 10:06 PM
you cant put the rim on and run on this dyno, the quad has to be level to get correct readings. they are shaved tires we used, alot cheaper than buying the street tires. gps is not as accurate as a dyno,
gps are only for top speed runs ha.

this is the most accurate way of tuning a quad
on a motorcycle dyno ok.

. why do you think my motor is reving too soon?
that simple i already told you its cause you have less weigth at the axel.

it dont hit the limiter till 10 000 rpm. it idles a little hi but thats cause my altitude here is much greater than most places. i live up here in alberta, canada. the power commander will allow me to tune it for my climate.

i have to tell you dyno are good when you are going to do a bunch of motor work. piston, what cams what filter and maybe have 4 pipes 2 sets of cams and things like that.
i hope you know what you are doing on the porting.
some are are adding epoxi in the ports insted of removing.
the ds motor is a good motor stock so its really hard to make it better.

450Rida
08-17-2010, 07:36 PM
i jus wanted to know how much power i was really putting out and if my mods actually did anything. my mechanic is gonna do the porting, he has been doing it for 30 yrs and builds pro mod drag bikes. he said porting is the only way to make it better, that cams and hi comp piston is just a waste of money.

LTMFB
08-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I would think porting, done properly, would have a significant impact but i can't agree w/hi comp pistons and cams not doing anything, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular and upwards of $800+ for cams!

florentino
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
i jus wanted to know how much power i was really putting out and if my mods actually did anything. my mechanic is gonna do the porting, he has been doing it for 30 yrs and builds pro mod drag bikes. he said porting is the only way to make it better, that cams and hi comp piston is just a waste of money.

if i was you i would call motoworks or bcs they have the motor good. also you have to specialize on some motor.
what kind of racing are you going to do any ways.
i notice you have a licence plate on the back. if you are going to have that thing on the street the motor will not last.
i found a article about the can am ds in atvactinon magazine.
may 2008 page 117 its a dyno with lrd pipe and tuner.
stock hp was 34.79 and and 38.40 after so this so you get the idea. also you dont really need the tuner with just a pipe it way be worse.
simple mods like air filter, motoworks pipe, cams can be good.
i have to tell you you may loose horse power if the porting is not done rigth.

and for mx racing the stock ds with just a pipe can get hole shots. i have a yamaha with more then 50 hps but i never did as good on the hole shots as the ds. why cause of the FI puts power to the ground.
if you whant to go fast at the track the last thing you need is a motor. the thing that i have learn is that is all in the bike set up tires, gears, suspencion.
i just do local races i am just an old guy. i think i do really good for my age. vs all the young punks haha. they only get faster.

450Rida
08-18-2010, 07:46 PM
where i ride you need a liscence plate for trails or dunes. i mean the hi comp pistons and cams are only good if you got your intake, pipe, etc modded. on their own not worth it. and cams dont do much on this motor cause its so good from factory. on something like a craptor or 400ex there are. i do mostly cross country, i got a dirtbike for mx, and a winter project for the dunes. the tuner would be better for me cause i go out riding in the mountains aswell. im gonna buy an extra head and do a little, then dyno run, then do a little, dyno run and so on till im not making anymore power. yes i kno its time consuming but its also experience. i want the motor work for the bottom end and mid range grunt.

florentino
08-18-2010, 08:32 PM
well good luck let me know how it works later. i dont think that you will gain more then 3 or 4 hps if done rigth so its not worth it.
if you are not going to do more mods but its all good.

450Rida
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
ya i thinks this project gonna be put on hold, i jus bought a quadzilla to play around with