PDA

View Full Version : back to the dark ages of mx

hsr
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Have been hearing rumors that this was the last year that suzuki would be giving factory support for ATV MX. Will Can-Am be the only factroy semi in the pits next year? How many pros are going to be able to afford to do this with very limited support and little to no money to be made??? It sucks that the sport is going backwards compared to where it was a couple of years ago. The economy has ruined a good thing.

TWISTED
08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
If it goes backwards, the only ones to blame are the factories..... I commend any of the factory teams that has hung in there to support the riders.........

XBLASTERRACERX
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Where did u hear that from? I highly doubt they are pulling out after 3 straight championships and if i remeber corretly dustin wimmer still has 1 year on his contract.

SRH
08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
i had heard the ltr might even be dropped which would make sense for there racing team to be done

mxpimp2000
08-16-2010, 09:33 PM
I heard wienen and t.brown are on yamaha next season. heard this from a real close inside yamaha crew

Quad18star
08-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Rumor has it ... all the ATV MX guys from Can-Am are switching to Snowcross for Ski-Doo instead ...;)

One_Bad_400
08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
i thought suzuki pulled out this past year and they were mainly yoshi riders more then they were suzuki's riders?!?!

Pappy
08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
i thought suzuki pulled out this past year and they were mainly yoshi riders more then they were suzuki's riders?!?!

Ding Ding Ding:p

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Then what happened? :eek2:

Ruby Soho
08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
why would they all be getting out? and why would they stop producing their only race model?

FHKracingZ
08-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Wienen is on a 2 year deal with can-am. he will be back with them next year.

My sources tell me Suzuki is done with ATV racing for now.

Suzuki MX racing just shipped their factory support to Bill Keefe and the Canidae team for next year.

Quad18star
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
The market is very slow. The world is now just comming out of the recession. With the huge number of layoffs all around the world , it'll take years for the economy to recover. People lost everything they owned ... top priorities will be to get back on their feet first ... that means buying homes and vehicles ...... "toys" are not #1 sellers anymore especially with the tighter rules governing loans and financing.

Derrick Adams
08-17-2010, 03:55 AM
No suprise that the factorys would bail. I think this will open up the doors for a very strong field of Pro Riders. Back to the days of equal play!

The good thing that came from this is that the 450s are here to stay. There are so many choices out there that Quad MX will live strong for a long time. Not like last time the door slammed shut and we were left with only the 250R.

dehner47
08-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
No suprise that the factorys would bail. I think this will open up the doors for a very strong field of Pro Riders. Back to the days of equal play!

The good thing that came from this is that the 450s are here to stay. There are so many choices out there that Quad MX will live strong for a long time. Not like last time the door slammed shut and we were left with only the 250R.

yes we did end up with only the 250r back in the day, but somehow someway, the 250r is still the best mx sport quad ever produced. so we were kinda lucky we didnt end up with just the quad racer. :devil:

Guy400
08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
why would they all be getting out? and why would they stop producing their only race model? Suzuki is a very large company and I'd be willing to bet the farm that the LTR is a very, very small percentage of their overall yearly sales total and therefore makes little sense to run a line to produce them.

mx8
08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
I have said this before, and I'll say it again. ATV racing has NEVER been big. And never will be. I raced from 1996 to 2001, racing looks the same now as it did back then. Just newer factory bikes. Insted of laeger framed quads. I keep hearing people say it will make a come back. COME BACK TO WHAT! Change the rules to where you have to run a stock motor, And only change the stock shocks to rebuilt shocks, and different tires and wheels, axle, and thats it. Then you will see more people racing. As long as you have to put 25,000 in a quad to win a 2.00 dollar piece of wood. Racing will never change. I can remember when pros ran stock a arms and shocks. And they were still fast. Thanks to GREED this sport will never go anywhere.

dehner47
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by mx8
I have said this before, and I'll say it again. ATV racing has NEVER been big. And never will be. I raced from 1996 to 2001, racing looks the same now as it did back then. Just newer factory bikes. Insted of laeger framed quads. I keep hearing people say it will make a come back. COME BACK TO WHAT! Change the rules to where you have to run a stock motor, And only change the stock shocks to rebuilt shocks, and different tires and wheels, axle, and thats it. Then you will see more people racing. As long as you have to put 25,000 in a quad to win a 2.00 dollar piece of wood. Racing will never change. I can remember when pros ran stock a arms and shocks. And they were still fast. Thanks to GREED this sport will never go anywhere.

X2

or atleast have a true "stock class and modified class" like the bike amateurs do.

KFX450Rrider490
08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
ive also said that before, just like the snomobiels. theyve been doing that for decades and it hasnt hurt them one bit. if they started doing that it would cause the manufacturers to build better bikes. it would also be alot cheaper allowing more people to race, the more racers the more the sport grows. so it would be a win win situation for everyone but thats probably not going to happen! and commenting on how the sport has decreased is size... take a look at a dirtwheels from 05 and then take last months issue, it says alot.

TWISTED
08-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mx8

You hit the nail right on the head!!!!

protraxrptr17
08-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that would just give more more money to the factories (who bail at the slightest) and kill the aftermarket who supported racing thru thick and thin. It would be cool to have one class for that, but not all classes. The greed belongs to the factories and promoters. I will still race if there are no new production bikes and I'm sure many others will too. I would love to see the production rules drop out. The factories would have to step up or step off to compete. The production rule was a big bunch of BS to get people to buy new bikes.

hsr
08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Ding Ding Ding:p

Is Yoshiumra going to supply a truck and mechanics for both creamer and wimmer for 2011?

TrapZ400
08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by hsr
Is Yoshiumra going to supply a truck and mechanics for both creamer and wimmer for 2011?
If im not mistaken I believe that the teams rig has always been a yoshimura rig.

If Suzuki does pull out next year then I think its time to bring in some outside sponsors to fund the teams like in nascar.

I think the biggest problem with the sport is that they are not attracting large crowds to the races. The series and track promoters NEED to do a better job of attracting spectators to the races. They need to have posters at ALL of the dealerships promoting the races. And they need to have attractions in the pits to draw people in like they have at the bike nationals.

Smoker
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
It was exciting to the see the growth in the sport and the release of all the new RACE quads. The sad reality, it's going to dwindle some with the current state of things. It will just be like it was before, hardcore atv riders will sacrifice to ride and race.

Pappy
08-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400
If im not mistaken I believe that the teams rig has always been a yoshimura rig.

If Suzuki does pull out next year then I think its time to bring in some outside sponsors to fund the teams like in nascar.

I think the biggest problem with the sport is that they are not attracting large crowds to the races. The series and track promoters NEED to do a better job of attracting spectators to the races. They need to have posters at ALL of the dealerships promoting the races. And they need to have attractions in the pits to draw people in like they have at the bike nationals.

Couldnt have said it better

Tommy 17
08-17-2010, 06:15 PM
There is talk of suzuki pulling its automotive business out of the USA also. I know right now they are giving buy outs and buying inventory back from dealers. Last I heard they were down 75% in sales... selling an average of 2 cars a week at a dealer:ermm:

Also Working for Honda I know what the dollar to Yen Ratio is doing for the Japan businesses. They are making zero profit on the goods made in Japan. Thats a big reason you see price increases. For them to stay profitable they have to jack the prices sky high.

TrapZ400
08-17-2010, 06:45 PM
For years the track promoters have just been happy with the racers bringing in the money but in my opinion they have never made a big push to bring in spectators. They need to focus on bringing in spectators for this sport to grow. What I dont understand is why havent they done this years ago? Its basic marketing! It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out. The bigger the crowd the more food they will sell at the races and the more people that will probably go out and buy a quad and race it and the fan base will grow too.

I dont see the races ever getting back on tv unless they make a push to bring in spectators and increase the fan base.

I dont blame honda and kawasaki at all for getting out of it. Honestly im surprised that can am, yamaha and suzuki have stuck with it for so long with the terrible spectator attendance. Who are the OEMs showing off their products to? All the racers and the diehard fans that show up every year already know about their products. The series and track promoters need to make a big push to bring in new fans.

elementryder
08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
ive raced the nationals the last 2 years, and i can admit that when i sit down to watch a pro moto, i know almost everyone around, most of the people watching are racers and the family of the racers, i dont really see many people coming in just to spectate. i will give props to Mushin racing, they have tried to bring some fun to the pits of the track with water slides, bike races for the kids, and money give-a-ways. also the live to ride foundation had some moto bingo and auctions during the year, but you never see the acctual track trying to draw attention to the race, if you drive threw the towns before the races, there is no advertising at all, and if i wasnt going to the track, i wouldnt even know there was a track there. it does seem like the promoting aspect is very unmotivated with expanding the sport. and another thing is, it seems like all the pros are in it for is the money anymore, it seems like they lack the motivation to do as well because there getting paid, or sacrafice and ride slower bikes that they wont beable to win on, but are getting paid to ride

turdboy
08-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I am from Minnesota so when I found out that Millville was on the schedule this year I was pumped for like 6 months. The national came and it was great, but like everyone said there was pretty much just racers, the families, and a few spectators. Now just a week or so ago I got my Cycle news magazine which covers mostly local district racing from MN, WI, MI, IL, and IN. They had an article in it about the pro bike national at Millville this year and it said they had 30,000 spectators!!! What are we doing wrong...but I did see advertising and hear about it on the radio prior to the event. Are dirt bikes just that much funner to watch or what? One thing I think is they need to fill the gate with the pro class to get a lot of quads out there banging bars.

muddy400EX
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by mx8

shoot, if you think about it motocross alone isnt even that big,meaning bikes. compared to baseball,basketball etc. its a tiny, little known sport

and quads, i dont think most people even know that quads are being raced. they just think they go through mud

madskrillz2
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400

Honestly until Suzuki came into the picture, I thought that's where it was going with the hybrids.

dehner47
08-19-2010, 07:53 AM
all this talk about tracks needing to do a lil better marketing and advertising for the races, honestly your pissing in the wind. i remember 15 years ago people/racers complaining to the track owner that they need to advertise some more. and how if you go into town, no one even knows a race is going on and that there even is a track in town. its the same story differnet generation. for some odd reasons, promoters think of as a side show to make a few extra bucks. and they are using those few extra dollars to promote and to advertise for the races that really bring in fans and money, the dirtbike nationals. cause they know the numbers more then we do. and im sure they have sat down and figured out it would cost more money to promte a race and to advertise it and how much they will generate in "sales". and most likely they have come to the buisness decision of, "if it dont make dollars, it dont make cents". cause remember, these promoters and track owners have been around for years and years. most longer then all of us. and they are a buisness. and most are a great buisness at that. and as a buisness, im sure they know what works, what doesnt work and whats not worth trying to make work.

truth be told, i love this sport as much as you guys do. hell, i been doing this quad thing since the year they came out, 1984. and i will do it til the day they disappear. but the facts are, tracks owners and promoters will always think of "us" as the way to pay the morgage that month. where bikes are they way they make there money.

when they formed the ATVA or whomever run this series, wasnt the idea behind it to have this "quad racing" ran and promoted from the quad riders stand point??? not being run by the AMA who really could careless for quads.. if thats the case, maybe people should start looking at who behind the promotion side of the things and discuss with them how to just side step the track owners and start taking it into the riders hands. or even better, someone with a lil advertising skills should set a buisness and start doing some free lance promoting. at this point, anyhting would help...

beastlywarrior
08-19-2010, 08:11 AM
thats it i say we all go back to racing warriors :macho :muscle: :D :blah:

braybray08
08-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I know this conversation is about MX but does anybody know how many spectators were at Ironman, I can't remember a number but there were a lot! And that was in 40 degree muddy weather which spectating wasnt the funniest....

Well after i think about it, all those people were probably just watching the quads tumble down Ironman Hill? lol

mx8
08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Well when you race in the wood's, you can take a stock atv or close to stock and have a chance of doing pretty good. MX is so much more about how much money you have in your quad. I remember THE BLACK WATER 100 back in the day. There was such a big turn out at that race. Woods racing has always been bigger than MX. Thats because most people that have atv's ride in the woods, and don't have to put a ton of money in there atv to race a few times. GREED it will kill a good sport everytime.