PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky belt.

hondariderdylan
08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
The belt on my 92' I-6 bronco has gotten louder and more frequent over the past month or two. I asked my dad about it and he told me it had done that for the past 10 years we have had it and he just constantly replaced the belt every year with a cheap one from the local parts store (he isnt really the fix-it right kinda person)

I personally think thats a waste of money. But the belt is about to make me want to set the truck on fire, i feel like im driving a chevy or something :p

So whats a permanent fix?

Pipeless416
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
get a goodyear gatorback belt. also, when you replace it, take a wire brush to the pulleys to get rid of the glaze that builds up.

Kickstarts-suck
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Gatorback! :)

Sjorge450R
08-16-2010, 05:21 PM
i have heard alot of people shun this but, I spray mine with Silicone Spray every now and then when they start squeeling. IDK. Some people say it makes them slip, but I havent had issues.

Titanium
08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
sounds to me like you possibly have a bad bearing in your alternator or one of your other accesories ran off the serpentine. Or if its really eating belts that quick something isnt lining up right, had the same problem with a 89 chevy i had to work on because whoever put the powersteering pump on for got to put the back bolt and spacer in. therefor making the pump have and awkward pitch and making it eat belts.

hondariderdylan
08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
sounds to me like you possibly have a bad bearing in your alternator or one of your other accesories ran off the serpentine. Or if its really eating belts that quick something isnt lining up right, had the same problem with a 89 chevy i had to work on because whoever put the powersteering pump on for got to put the back bolt and spacer in. therefor making the pump have and awkward pitch and making it eat belts.

its not really eating belts fast. my dad just isnt the brightest when it comes to cars and trucks.

And it doesnt do it after it has sat cold for a while but by the time i get to school it will squeal pretty bad at idle and chirp out at around 1750-2000 rpm. Then today idk what happened but i was running about 55 and i turned my radio down and it was going bad with the motor at about 2500. so idk. im leaning twards the gatorback:D

1fastR
08-16-2010, 06:50 PM
new high quality belt, spin the idler pulley and Alternator pulley by hand, see if there is bad bearing in there

just had to do this to my wifes gmc envoy

Titanium
08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
its not really eating belts fast. my dad just isnt the brightest when it comes to cars and trucks.

And it doesnt do it after it has sat cold for a while but by the time i get to school it will squeal pretty bad at idle and chirp out at around 1750-2000 rpm. Then today idk what happened but i was running about 55 and i turned my radio down and it was going bad with the motor at about 2500. so idk. im leaning twards the gatorback:D

have you checked your tensioner for the serpentine belt?

slightlybent47
08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree with getting a new high quality belt, there is a lot of heat and torque on the belt so with a single belt set up it needs to be a good quality belt.

Quad18star
08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Try spraying it with some belt dressing.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Buy a Chevy.

gt400ex
08-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Upgrade to a better belt, and when you have the old one off make sure and check the bearings on all the pullys, water pump and alt. Also being an older truck with probably higher mileage it wouldnt hurt to change the tensioner so you know the spring is good and holding the belt tight.

hondariderdylan
08-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
Buy a Chevy.

haha :p

i am going to get the money out of the bank this week and pick up a gatorback and check everything you guys mentioned.

btw, how hard is it to change one by yourself?

CJM
08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
haha :p

i am going to get the money out of the bank this week and pick up a gatorback and check everything you guys mentioned.

btw, how hard is it to change one by yourself?

All you have to do is find the tensioner pulley, push it using a wrench or socket and free the belt. remove the old one and put on the new and bingo.

If it has multiple belts its another story, gotta loosen up each component.

Kickstarts-suck
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
how hard is it to change one by yourself?

For serious?

Its as easy as swapping out a belt... O wait..

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/512259

hondariderdylan
08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
alright. thanks for the posts guys. im swapping it out as soon as i can get some cash.

mxduner
08-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I heard from a old timer way back to use a bar of soap, and let it ride on the inside of the belt while the car is running. never done it before so cannot vouch weather it works or not.

seems these days i feel like i have to warn people about everything... use some common freakin sense if you try this:confused:

slightlybent47
08-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
I heard from a old timer way back to use a bar of soap, and let it ride on the inside of the belt while the car is running. never done it before so cannot vouch weather it works or not.

seems these days i feel like i have to warn people about everything... use some common freakin sense if you try this:confused:

You mean like you could lose a hand doing this?http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/scared0008.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

Pipeless416
08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mxduner

i would be afraid that this would cause some major slippage.

ps- my GM engine squeaks horribly when its wet outside :p