PDA

View Full Version : easy way to extend cables?

mopar04
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Hello all, I'm 6'5" so I had to put a +2 Houser stem on my LTR to ride comfortably (my back was getting destroyed by having to slouch down), and it got my cables running to my controls pretty tight, especially the throttle cable. I actually had to change the rake of my handlebars to keep the cables with a safe amount of slack. My question is where can I find some extra long replacement cables so I can get some decent slack again. I'm going to install some Flexx bars but I'm not going to touch that kind of work until I know I can safely get the cables corrected. My primary concerns are obviously the throttle, clutch, and brake lines, UTP electrical wire I have a lot of experience with so I can safely extend those on my own. To be safe I think I'd want at least an extra 4-6" of length. Thanks a lot for any advice you can provide!

turdboy
08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I had a tough time just getting enough slack for my flexx bars, so to add a plus 2 stem would be very tough. I would do a google seach for an aftermarket cable company. I am sure you can find something with the same size ends. When I was young I had one of those long 3 wheeler things and we had to order some huge 9 foot brake cables. We found some through a go cart catalog. There was no internet at that time, so I would think finding some would be fairly easy. Good luck.

stoopidbot
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Any local hydraulic shop should be able to make you some brake lines. See if you can reroute your throttle cable. Mine is a Honda 450 but I put a +2 Houser stem(I'm 6'2" and I had plenty of throttle cable...