PDA

View Full Version : hydro clutch

optikid123
02-04-2003, 09:24 PM
well i put it on and tryin to adj it but when i pull the lever nothin happens!! wtf im pissed anyideas could it not be adj out far enough or is it out tooo far ahhhhhhhh

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 04:31 AM
it might not be far enough adjusted, mine bolted up easily and i just had to PRELOAD the thread in a sense. another words i had to thread it alot to get in the right spot

wheeltrax
02-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Do you have to bleed those? if so maybe you have to do that. Id adjust it like YZ said

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 05:29 AM
i would have to say that its defenitaly not bleed correctly.did it come with a bleed kit??

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 06:28 AM
mine came ready to go, no bleeding, no bleeding kit

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
it might not be far enough adjusted, mine bolted up easily and i just had to PRELOAD the thread in a sense. another words i had to thread it alot to get in the right spot

are talking about the adjustment down by the slave cyl. were you hook it up to the clutch fork?
if so that is not meant as an adjustment that is just there to act as a guide for the slave cyl.

Scott400EX
02-05-2003, 09:16 AM
The slave cyl on the case is for adj it determines how far in or out the piston in the slave cyl starts. The further in it is the less ability to pull the clutch plates away. i have mine set in the middie of the threads on the slave cyl and i have the little red knob on the perch turned 8 turns from where it stops. Either way its 16 turns from stop to stop so put it right in the middle. My clutch lets out right in the middle the lever is the same distance from all the way out as all the way in.
Just think on teh cable clutch the adjuster on teh case was set in teh middle not at either end. and you adj the lever play with the screw on the perch. so why wouldnt it be the same concept with the hydro?
All in all it should pull the clutch arm on the case about 9.5 to 10mm
I just bolted mine on and went riding!! no bleeding necessary!

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 09:24 AM
they wouldnt put threads on it if it wasnt meant to be adjusted.

i havent adjusted it fully yet as my quad is on jack stands waiting for my elkas, BUT i started up the quad and it is adjusted in the middle at both ends and seems to be fine. i will prob have to tinker with it for a minute or two when i actually ride. but u shouldnt have to blead it

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 10:23 AM
they wouldnt put threads on it if it wasnt meant to be adjusted.

i havent adjusted it fully yet as my quad is on jack stands waiting for my elkas, BUT i started up the quad and it is adjusted in the middle at both ends and seems to be fine. i will prob have to tinker with it for a minute or two when i actually ride. but u shouldnt have to blead it

ok, if you say so.
call magura and see what they tell you.

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 11:12 AM
yes it aligns the slave, but it still needs to be positioned to actually work the clutch.

do you have a pic? why would they thread it and supply a nut. they just like adding parts for the **** of it?

I think were are talking about to diff things, because i dont understand how this is debatable

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 11:16 AM
i see what your saying, but there is a INITIAL adjustment, it is fine tuned at the lever.

I guess this is what you are saying?

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:21 AM
yes it aligns the slave, but it still needs to be positioned to actually work the clutch.

do you have a pic? why would they thread it and supply a nut. they just like adding parts for the **** of it?

I think were are talking about to diff things, because i dont understand how this is debatable

this is the part im talking about

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:23 AM
here it is on the bike,
it really cant be adjusted it just get locked into place when tightened

Extremeracer167
02-05-2003, 11:25 AM
that part is an adjustment, and the same with the red knob on the top. U should not have to bleed them at all. Except when u change the fluid.

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:26 AM
i think the adjustment you make at the lever just affects how far you have to pull in the clutch lever itself, so it catches at the beginning or end of the pull stroke.
there really isnt even an inital adjustment needed, it should be slef adjusting.

Extremeracer167
02-05-2003, 11:27 AM
i see hwat u are saying quad041, see on the EX, they give u a differant bracket, and it is threaded, and thats what we are talking about. On an R u use that stock mounting bracket:p

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
that part is an adjustment, and the same with the red knob on the top. U should not have to bleed them at all. Except when u change the fluid.

how can it be an adjuster look at it, you either tighten the nut, or it will flop around.

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
i see hwat u are saying quad041, see on the EX, they give u a differant bracket, and it is threaded, and thats what we are talking about. On an R u use that stock mounting bracket:p

ok, thats the differnce.
i didnt know the 400 was differnt, my mistake, sorry

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:31 AM
i dont understand how it doesn not need to be bleed, unless when you buy it it comes already assembeld(sp?)?????:confused:

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i knew there was sumpin.

that bolt on my 400ex is 3 times as long, and the bracket is threaded.

i was like, either i am crazy or he is?

then i looked at your sig and noticed that you had a 250r

just a little misunderstanding hahha

QuadRacer041
02-05-2003, 11:34 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i knew there was sumpin.

that bolt on my 400ex is 3 times as long, and the bracket is threaded.

i was like, either i am crazy or he is?

then i looked at your sig and noticed that you had a 250r

just a little misunderstanding hahha

yup, i just assumed they were the same.

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 11:34 AM
mine was all assmbled and bled in the box,

was yours in peices?

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 11:36 AM
was yours in peices? look back a post, we posted at the same time

Extremeracer167
02-05-2003, 12:01 PM
yeah they dont need to be blead beacuse they do come assembled. The bleeder kit is $17 so i know i just ordered one just to have it. Along with there oil for them. U take notice that in the instructions it sais"DO NOT USE MINERAL OIL" and on the resevoir it sails "MINERAL OIL ONLY" :confused:

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
i believe there oil has a additive for corrosion/breakdown? or they just like selling you there oil for 10 instead of the local hardware for 1

optikid123
02-05-2003, 03:57 PM
well i took it all off when i pull the lever in the cable only goes about an 8th of an inch so dose that mean its not bleeded properly or should i send it back

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 05:00 AM
can you pull it out more than that, then try the lever again. i had to pull it out to adjust it where it needed to be. then the clutch pulls it back everytime you let go of the lever

nutcase
02-06-2003, 09:39 AM
I just installed one on my 400 about 1 month ago. I put the nut on the other sdie of the mount (side closest to the slave cylinder). It shouldn't need bleeding unless you took the line off of the slave cylinder. I replaced my plastic line with a ss one because of the heat. and then I had to bleed it. Also a 400ex on a stand with the swingarm fully expanded will not clutch. I found this out the hard way (after calling my dealer and magura).

After you move the nut to the other side sit the ***** end on the ground and it should clutch. If It does not let me know and I will send pics and more help if I can.

nutcase
02-06-2003, 09:42 AM
P.S.

If you do need to bleed it only use magura mineral oil.

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 11:03 AM
why wouldn't the clutch work with the swingarm in the air?

if that was the case the stocker wouldn't work either.

i dont know about all that

nutcase
02-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Stock does the same thing. the clutch will engage, but the wheels spin like it didn't. And when working alone it can be frustating, because it is hard to stop the wheels, hold the clutch and watch the slave cylinder all at the same time, to make sure it is all working.

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 11:20 AM
ok thats a whole differant thing, i know what your talking about. it works still. you can stop the wheels if you want but it will spin. i thought the clutch just didn't work. I WAS like WTF?

any bike will do that.

sometimes its hard to get across what people are tlaking about on the net

nutcase
02-06-2003, 11:25 AM
I knew what i was trying to say, i just couldn't type it

here is the bleeding instructions in pdf format from magura's site
it in german? and english

http://www.magura.de/magura_unternehmen/motorrad/english/off_road/befuellanleitung%20hymec%20de-a4.pdf

forum
02-06-2003, 12:04 PM
well. this is what i did.

I bought my hydro clutch used. It worked pretty good at first but soon fadded and half way through every race i would loose the clutch completely I was just powershifting. I would bleed it and it would work for awhile. Then back to fadding. Frankly I got pissed and sold the stupid thing. In my opinion it wasn't even much esier then stock. not worth it to me considering its not as reliable as the old method. the master cylinder is vulnerable in its position. If i were ever to want another hydro clucth it would be a billetanium but they are like $700 or some stupid thing.

QuadRacer041
02-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by forum
well. this is what i did.

I bought my hydro clutch used. It worked pretty good at first but soon fadded and half way through every race i would loose the clutch completely I was just powershifting. I would bleed it and it would work for awhile. Then back to fadding. Frankly I got pissed and sold the stupid thing. In my opinion it wasn't even much esier then stock. not worth it to me considering its not as reliable as the old method. the master cylinder is vulnerable in its position. If i were ever to want another hydro clucth it would be a billetanium but they are like $700 or some stupid thing.

i think i agree with you. i got mine on a bike i got used and already had to buy a new slave cyl $68.00 a bleed kit $12.00, and in my first race with it, blew the hose on the first lap and was done. after i woke up at 5am drove 2.5 hours sat around till the race and only got in 15-20 minutes on the bike.
not to mention i had a pair of acerbis mx handgaurds off my old bike that didnt fit, cause of the clutch master, i had to buy new hand gaurds, and 2 mount kits, one for a honda and one for a ktm cause they use the magura clutch.
and instead of buying another platic hose i bought the braided one so it wont brake again which cost me $50.00.....so for i got like $180.00 into this hydro clutch already. if it brakes or fails me again its getting smashed with a hammer and im going back to a cable.
although i did notice it is much much more easier to pull and much more consistent, then the cable.

ATVer14
02-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Is there any way to bleed the Magura without a bleeder kit? I have mine all apart and can't seem to get it bled, the fluid doesn't seem to want to flow from the master to the slave end of the line. There's nothing blocking the line, I've already checked that, it just seems like it doesn't want to go. One other thing, where are you guys getting mineral oil? I went to my local hardware store, and they didn't have any, but told me to go to the grocery store and pick up some Baby Oil. I picked it up, and it says it's just mineral oil and fragrance. Can I use this stuff, or do I need pure mineral oil? Thanks
Ken

QuadRacer041
02-08-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by ATVer14
Is there any way to bleed the Magura without a bleeder kit? I have mine all apart and can't seem to get it bled, the fluid doesn't seem to want to flow from the master to the slave end of the line. There's nothing blocking the line, I've already checked that, it just seems like it doesn't want to go. One other thing, where are you guys getting mineral oil? I went to my local hardware store, and they didn't have any, but told me to go to the grocery store and pick up some Baby Oil. I picked it up, and it says it's just mineral oil and fragrance. Can I use this stuff, or do I need pure mineral oil? Thanks
Ken

well the bleed kit is only like $12.00 and it comes with the oil too.but u can get mineral oil at a pharmacy or drug store.i was able to bleedmine with out bleed kit,pump the lever, hold it down and open the close the bango bolt down at the slave, do that a bunch of times and it should work.just make sure you alway keep the master full.

YZROOSTINYA
02-10-2003, 04:41 AM
had mine on for 8 hours so far, where I zip tied it to the frame i put a rubber hose around that part. It works awesome and all the friends were digging it.