PDA

View Full Version : yfz450 front elka long travel fit?

87HONDATRX250X
08-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I know that the stock yfz450 shocks just need to be trimmed a bit to fit the 400ex mounts but, i wanna know if its just as easy to make the elka quad rate long travel front shocks to fit. Will it make it sit any higher or lower? ect. Let me know asap please can get them tonight may be!

400Trooper
08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
I know that the stock yfz450 shocks just need to be trimmed a bit to fit the 400ex mounts but, i wanna know if its just as easy to make the elka quad rate long travel front shocks to fit. Will it make it sit any higher or lower? ect. Let me know asap please can get them tonight may be!

I would guess the Elka quad rate long Travel shocks are going to be too long for your stock a-arms. Stock length 450R shock are roughly 16 1/2 inches eye to eye, I think the YFZ's are roughly the same. The Elka are probably close to 19 1/2 inches eye to eye. Way too long for the stock "standard "travel a-arms that come on the 400EX.

If you're getting the Elkas for a decent price go ahead and get them! Then save up and get a set of long travel a-arms like Lonestar or Walsh, Gibson,etc. You will definately benefit from the upgrade! Good luck!

gtt416ex
08-16-2010, 01:58 PM
i honestly think they will work, they're a quad rate shock and will have a decent amount of sag. If they're about the same length as ST 450R shocks then you'll be at stock height, if not lower

Scro
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
i honestly think they will work, they're a quad rate shock and will have a decent amount of sag. If they're about the same length as ST 450R shocks then you'll be at stock height, if not lower

Even though the quad rate spring setup may allow you to achieve ride height, it's your balljoints you have to worry about. If the uncompressed length of a shock is too long, your balljoints will bottom out before the shock is fully extended. You want the shock to be the limiting factor in your travel, not your balljoints.

gtt416ex
08-16-2010, 02:07 PM
oh, ok. I didn't really think about that.

87HONDATRX250X
08-16-2010, 03:02 PM
he wont part out just the shocks. Selling the a-arms and shocks as a package. So im just getting the stock ones. May be if i get a 450 ill get them.