PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Intake?

exrider12
08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I was looking for a cold air intake for my maxima just to try and help the MPG's a little and the added power isnt bad either. Then I found this and I was kinda interested in it. Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Electric-SUPERCHARGER-KIT-3-PSI-900-Watt-Intake-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2003Q7cMakeQ3aNissa nQ7cModelQ3aMaximaQQitemZ320571029477QQptZMotorsQ5 fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

k4f5x0r
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
If they have credible dyno charts, thats the only way i'd ever believe them. Seems like complete bull to me though.

exrider12
08-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Thats what i was thinking. So Im better off buying a K&N or Injen cold air intake?

Kickstarts-suck
08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Lol at Electric superchargers.

I doubt it would even put out 1 pound of boost.

Dont waste your money.

CJM
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
dont waste your money on any so called "cold" air intake.

Think of it like this: you want cold air, a cold air intake uses an exposed element filter to draw air USUALLY from INSIDE the engine bay that only has hot air due to the heat of the engine.

You want a cold air intake that actually works and is cheap but functional? Go out to home depot and buy abs piping. your gonna need some straight sections, a reducer and some bends.

Map out how you want to route it and buy the parts you need. Then purchase a KN style cone filter and plumb the parts so they stick out RIGHT behind the headlight. This draws true cold air and although it dont look pretty it does work. Your gonna want to insulate the pipe from the heat as well, they sell stuff for that at home depot, just ask. This setup will draw cold air in, HOWEVER read below.

OR: leave it all alone cause your car isnt gonna gain anything but maybe .10 hp b/c the factory system wont adjust much for more air anyways and a cold air intake doesnt do a thing really.

The only intakes I know of that actually do something are ram air style ones that draw air in continuously from outside and even then they dont make your butt dyno feel any better.

quadrcr161
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
dont waste your money on any so called "cold" air intake.

Think of it like this: you want cold air, a cold air intake uses an exposed element filter to draw air USUALLY from INSIDE the engine bay that only has hot air due to the heat of the engine.

You want a cold air intake that actually works and is cheap but functional? Go out to home depot and buy abs piping. your gonna need some straight sections, a reducer and some bends.

Map out how you want to route it and buy the parts you need. Then purchase a KN style cone filter and plumb the parts so they stick out RIGHT behind the headlight. This draws true cold air and although it dont look pretty it does work. Your gonna want to insulate the pipe from the heat as well, they sell stuff for that at home depot, just ask. This setup will draw cold air in, HOWEVER read below.

OR: leave it all alone cause your car isnt gonna gain anything but maybe .10 hp b/c the factory system wont adjust much for more air anyways and a cold air intake doesnt do a thing really.

The only intakes I know of that actually do something are ram air style ones that draw air in continuously from outside and even then they dont make your butt dyno feel any better.

agreed, just get a k&n drop in the factory box and if you want open up the factory box with a few holes. but you can get better gas mileage with a drop in filter, new o2 sensor and changing your fluids with synthetics, and adjusting your tire pressure.

WhiteZrider
08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/1max.jpg

Thats on my maxima, it's so loud hah.

exrider12
08-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/1max.jpg

Thats on my maxima, it's so loud hah.

what is that hahaha

WhiteZrider
08-19-2010, 12:02 AM
That would be my intake, doubt it added any power, but it sure does sound good.

exrider12
08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I know its your intake haha. I was wondering if you made it or what brand it is. But im guessing you made it :p.

I just want a little more oomph out of this car.. and its an automatic so I guess an exhaust is out of the question.

Pipeless416
08-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
and its an automatic so I guess an exhaust is out of the question. :huh

exrider12
08-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
:huh

Around here the consensus is if a cars automatic it shouldnt have an exhaust on it. Especially not a silver "soccer mom" Maxima :rolleyes: . Thats what my friends call it.

Pipeless416
08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
Around here the consensus is if a cars automatic it shouldnt have an exhaust on it. Especially not a silver "soccer mom" Maxima :rolleyes: . Thats what my friends call it.

my car is an automatic and im plenty happy with my exhaust.. i don't get that mentality. ask them to race from a dig, then they won't be so cocky.

exrider12
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
None of them even have their license yet. Im the only one:rolleyes:

WhiteZrider
08-19-2010, 11:14 AM
They call my car the maxipad..but dude honestly it hauls *** for a 4 door car, mines a 5 speed. Beat my friends 1.8t golf thing and that shut him up.

exrider12
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
ya these things arent rly slow haha. Isnt yours the 3.0 liter? I got the 3.5 :D

WhiteZrider
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah its the 3.0. I'd like a nice 3.5 swap though :p

2to4
08-19-2010, 12:44 PM
The torque steer on this is crazy haha. What exhaust you have on yours??

sorry this is exrider12.. im on my friends haha

WhiteZrider
08-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Well I can't really say its an exhaust, its just a fart can :p

Saving up for a high flow cat and cat back, maybe some headers.

exrider12
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Hahahaha. Its all good. Im tryin to save for a quad:(

CJM
08-19-2010, 03:41 PM
a good exhaust is ok, a fartcan that sounds like a swarm of bumble bees sounds horrible and wont do crap.

Fact of the matter is unless you add forced induction (turbo or supercharge) or nitrous you wont gain much of anything.

Kinda sad I know, but thats the way it goes. Your friends are jerks, they want to make fun or your car and I bet theres arent any better unless someone bought it for them.

My first car was a 92 F250 with a stick and inline 6, it wasnt even 4wd. My friends all had cars and during winter here would get stuck, 2wd or not with good tires and the stick I never had an issue lol.

WhiteZrider
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah my exhaust doesnt really sound like a swarm of bees, didnt really chance the sound, just put a little tone to it.