View Full Version : car motor question

stuntin andy
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
hey yall i took my car up and down the street today and when i was backing up into the shop it smelled like rotten eggs??.... so i shut my car off and poped the hood and it was smoking a little bit and when i said it smelled like rotten eggs it smelled like rotten eggs...so i let the car cool off then i started it again and smelled the end of the exhaust and it dident smell like rotten eggs?? only under the engine bay?? dosent make sence to me...

CJM
08-14-2010, 06:59 PM
COuld be it hadnt had a chance to warm up (cars usually run rich when they are cold) or its running rich for some reason. Sulfur (rotten egg smell) in the gas causes it.

Sometiems its caused by a bad cat converter b/c it doesnt burnt he unburned fuel/gasses that the car doesnt use. Othertimes you could have a bad EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation) which burns unburned gasses/fuel.

Have the car checked out just to be sure its not running rich tho.

The smoking could be an oil leak thats burning.

What kind of car is it?

99400esex
08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds like you have a bad cat.

buck440
08-15-2010, 08:30 AM
probably a fart from the other day lingering. i usually leave my windows down all day and spray some fufu juice in it and wala.

stuntin andy
08-15-2010, 12:53 PM
lol that was funny. i know what it was. my car has no catalytic converter only a test pipe and it didnt have much gas in it and it hadent moved in 2 weeks so i think the sulfur or sulfuric acid in the gas got plentiful lol thats why when my car was running it smelled so bad... hopefully haha

thanks for all the help though yall