PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas on how to get this off?

jkiserracing
08-14-2010, 09:34 AM
So I find out my bearing carrier has busted up on one end after I rode last weekend. I go ahead and begin removing the axle so that I can get the carrier out to be replaced. Well.......the carrier is froze on to the axle. So I removed it all and had to beat (and beat) the remaining carrier off the axle. The tube thats in the middle of the carrier is still on the axle itself. It moves freely. It can even slide about 1/4 inch back and forth but thats it. It MEANS its not coming off. I cant even figure out whats holding it on. I mean its a tube. WTF???? How can I get this off. It should NOT be this hard.

ss440ex
08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Try cleaning it good and some penatrating fluid.
Maybe a little heat.

If that wont cut it, have the sprocket hub pressed off and then the bearings and the center tube.

Good luck,you`ll get it.

Check for any burrs and clean it up good when reassembling.

nskukalek79
08-14-2010, 12:19 PM
The axle probably mushroomed a little making the sleeve not come off.....just try to file the sh*t out of the axle where the sleeve gets stuck and it should pop off.

TCracin440ex
08-14-2010, 01:21 PM
if u plan on buying an aftemarket carrier which i recomend then take a cut off wheel and cut it off. cut it in 2 places and it will come off then.

Smoker
08-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Cutting wheel, hammer and chisel to cut. No torchy, heat bad, lol.

jkiserracing
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok. Well I did get it off in fact, using the cutting wheel. Now...part 2 of this.
So I cut off about 2 inches of the sleeve so I could see what was the hold up. And sure enough there was what looked to be little mounds of metal fused to the axle....making the sleeve not to be able to pass. I grinded it of until the sleeve could pass by on its own. Then I filed it so that it was as true as I could get it. I put a bearing on it just to see if it was still tight (and it was)

So now, as you can see in the pics, the cutting wheel got into the axle a little bit. Do you think this will cause a problem?
The groove is quite small (no bigger than the groove for the o-ring clip) and its only on the one side.

What do you guys think?

jkiserracing
08-14-2010, 04:04 PM
another

jkiserracing
08-14-2010, 04:04 PM
one more

Rich250RRacer
08-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't think I'd even consider using that axle. There's a good chance it's going to break where you cut it, plus the bearing surface is screwed up really bad, which will probably be loose in the bearing.

Brian112233
08-15-2010, 12:39 AM
buy a new axle, that one is junk.

BlaineKaiser450
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Brian112233
buy a new axle, that one is junk.