PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment? Here's my situation..

MX MaNiAc 06
08-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Alright I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some advice..

So I've been working for this country club for the past 4 years. With the economy it has been through a lot in the time i have been there.

I started out as dishwasher, then started to cook a little bit. After i had been there a couple years i went from 6.50 an hour to $8.50 and cooking on the line. THEN the restaurant got new management...

So i had almost been there for 3 years and i get started back as a dishwasher making minimum wage. Had to go to two interviews and beg for the damn job too. But it didn't take very long to get back to cooking and making a little more money.

So as of NOW it is me and one other guy running the kitchen. The other day i got called into my manager's office and he informed me and my co-worker that the restaurant is getting new management AGAIN!! I'm basically getting laid off at the end of the month..

And i have to note that i start back at college 3 days after new management takes over.

So i have two options!!

1. Beg the new people for a job and work on the weekends. Probly start out minimum wage washing dishes again...

2. Get unemployment. I am not sure if i can even get it because I'm in school. I worked 50-60 hours a week during the summer. But last year i only worked 10-15 hours on the weekends.

What should i do?! I have til the end of August to make a decision.

Kickstarts-suck
08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
You can get unemployment easily being in school.

They can even help you out MORE being that your in school.

turboTony
08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
If you worked the full past year, you are eligible for unemployment. They average out your earnings by quarter. Being a student will have no adverse effect. In fact, if you start going to school while you are on unemployment, it helps your chance of getting extensions...
Sucks though... I'm in the same boat. Yesterday was my last day at a company I spent the last 15 yrs at. I worked my way up from nothing and was making GREAT money. Bought a house 3 yrs ago, and now will have to start over at the bottom somewhere else. :(

slightlybent47
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
When you apply for the new job, go for the cook passion first. You have some experience so why go backward. Places like that sometimes clean house and get rid of everyone and start with all new staff so you may not be able to stay there. Since you have some experience as a cook there are lots of places looking for you. Stay positive and keep looking. Good luck!

mxduner
08-13-2010, 09:39 PM
just cause the last new management punted you to the bottom, does not mean the new management will. It can go either way.

for me threw out my career, i have in almost every situation, have never went backwards. you deserve better than that. At your age you may want to think about moving to another company or a couple more to get well rounded. That makes you more valuable, and opens many more doors in the future.

derekhonda
08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah truth be told, as ****ed up as this governmen is right now, you are better off going on unemployment. You should make 66% of your wages from the last quarter, capped at $400 bucks. So if you made say 600 bucks a week, which at 60 hours you should have, youll get 400 bucks for the next 99 weeks. I'd tell em to f off, get fired, and go on easy street.

Afterall, "everyone else is doing it"

I think those facts are correct, you might double check i sometimes get work comp and unemployment mixed up have to handle both at the office.

SRH
08-13-2010, 10:36 PM
i think the poor and the rich got it easy, the poor hustle the system, the rich hustle the system, everyone in the middle lives by the system and walks funny

Ralph
08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Everyone else is doing is a horrible attitude and it will leave you right with the rest of em.

Keep working hard, you can't gain or learn anything from unemployment.

turboTony
08-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Ralph

Keep working hard, you can't gain or learn anything from unemployment.
You mean aside of free job training, and career development workshops? :p
Here in Massachusetts, they really help to get people back in the workforce rather that sit on their *** and collect.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-14-2010, 12:21 AM
As a couple of you said to go for the cook passion.. Cooking is not a passion for me. It is miserable. It's just a summer/weekend job for me to make a little bit of money.

I graduate in May. And i would not sit at home and collect. My major is very demanding. I'm going to be a physical therapist assistant. Last year i pulled deans list all year. To be able to do that again and actually have my weekends to study would be outstanding.

My school is an hour and a half away from home. So id get out of class friday, walk to my car which i already had everything packed. Speed the whole way home to make it to work on time. Work til 10 and go try to spend time with my girlfriend. Same with saturday and sunday..

This was absolutely exhausting. This summer i have had 3 days off the entire summer. My one day off from cooking i mow grass on the golf course of the same country club.

Enough of my complaining.. what im getting at is if i am able to get unemployment.. i think i deserve it. Over half of this year is clinicals. Clinicals is basically a 40 hour week of work that you don't get paid for. I would love to focus on my major this year. I think i could pull better grades than i did last year with weekends devoted to studying and my girlfriend.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-14-2010, 12:26 AM
And i have a very important question..

If i go on unemployment is my future employer going to think im a bum for going on unemployment instead of finding another job? My one friend gets it and tells me it doesn't matter but i feel like it should. If i collect money for 6 months then i obviously wasnt trying very hard to find a job..

mxduner
08-14-2010, 12:34 AM
some employers do look at credit ratings, but i would think being younger there would be more give in it.

gncc025
08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
i was on unemployment for about 3 months and then got a job as a police officer. They do all kinds of background checks and me being on unemployment was not an issue. Its there for a reason (people like you) There are lots of people that abuse it, but in your situation i see nothing wrong with it.

chucked
08-14-2010, 01:58 PM
I just got off unemployment, they will penalize you for going to school while being on unemployment. Their logic, as little as they have, is that you could be looking for a job but instead you are in school. Any every state has different laws.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I just got off unemployment, they will penalize you for going to school while being on unemployment. Their logic, as little as they have, is that you could be looking for a job but instead you are in school. Any every state has different laws.

How could they penalize me?

I have decided that i refuse to work for the new management. This past week has been awful! With everyone knowing we are getting laid off we are at eachothers necks. It has reminded me of everything i have hated about the job for the past 4 years.

I'm going the unemployment route. Worst case scenario.. i get bored and find a job. I appreciate all the input guys!

chucked
08-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Like I said, every state is different, but when I filled out my bi-weekly form, it asked you every time if you went to school. They want you to be available for work 24-7, so if you are in school you are not.

Ralph
08-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
How could they penalize me?

I have decided that i refuse to work for the new management. This past week has been awful! With everyone knowing we are getting laid off we are at eachothers necks. It has reminded me of everything i have hated about the job for the past 4 years.

I'm going the unemployment route. Worst case scenario.. i get bored and find a job. I appreciate all the input guys!

So you are not even looking for a new job?

In my opinion, wellfare is like the little scooters at wallmart. There are some people that need them, but most people need to get the hell up and start working those legs because sitting down all the time is never gonna help a weight issue.

chucked
08-15-2010, 08:27 AM

In my opinion, wellfare is like the little scooters at wallmart. There are some people that need them, but most people need to get the hell up and start working those legs because sitting down all the time is never gonna help a weight issue.

Yea that sounds pathetic "if I get bored Ill get a job"

derekhonda
08-16-2010, 08:29 PM

I agree with you. I hate how lazy this country has become. There are jobs out there for people, but they refuse to take a pay cut or work a third shift or whatever reason they can think up. It is sickening. However....

Mr. obama wants to keep tossing money peoples way, I can say that if I got fired tomorrow I would take a 99 week vacation while i worked under the table. Take away that incentive...and I'd find a job.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on how many people (like a percentage wise) still remained unemployed after their benefits run out.

D Bergstrom
08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Any every state has different laws.

This pretty much sums it up. Nevada will not give you a dime for unemployment if you are a college student. I know someone who got laid off, started collecting unemployment, then said screw it, I am going to school when the next semester starts. No more unemployment. You can get all kinds of loans though for going to school.

I know here you have to prove you are looking for a job also. Not sure how it works, but I kow people that stopped collecting because they could not find a job and had a hard time proving they were looking.

I agree with Ralph, unemployment is for people who need it, not people who are just looking for a free ride. If you can't find a job thats one thing, but to just go on unemployment because you don't want to find a job, well....

Doug

fasterblaster09
08-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I know a guy I was in tech college with came from Washington state when he was laid off, cllecting unemployment. After two semesters, he gets a letter stating that he owes so much money because he was in school and collecting money, therefore, not looking for another job to get off of unemployment. I know he raised hell and don't think he had to pay it back, but not sure if he continued to receive it. Do what you think is right

toby400ex
08-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Last time i got laid off I was denied unemployment BECAUSE OF SCHOOL. They said my schedule didn't make it possible for me to seek full time work.