PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on LTR450 over TRX450

NeverLiftRacing
08-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Have any Suzuki owners/racers in here made the switch from the Honda TRX450R to the Suzuki LTR450??? I have been MX Racing the Honda TRX450R for over 4 years now and am looking to make the switch to a Suzuki and am looking for opinions on all aspects of the quad such as comfortability, handling, power delivery, reliability etc. Really looking for input from a racers point of view but all input is valued. Thanks

Stiles86
08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
i made the switch in 09 i have 2 ltr's for 2 mx seasons now, im kinda stuck in the middle... nothing beats a honda for reliabilityut the frame and geometry on the ltr are nasty... you will love fuel inj. the wires are a pain in the *** but ive never had a burp or hickup....suzukis biggest downfall i think is there bottom ends i lost my first tranny on its 3rd race how ever i installed a atp tranny and havnt had an issue since....ltr handle great if tomorrow i had the choice and money not being an option id problly build another ltr.... power wise i think because of what you can do to each it dosnt matter wich one you buy.. just my opinion id race either or i love honda but my zukes aint going anywhere soon

NeverLiftRacing
08-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info! How do you rate the jumping ability of each? Does the Suzuki feel heavier or hard to maneuver in air?

Stiles86
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
i havnt noticed it but everyone i know says the suzuki feels like a pig but dose everything you want...it feels lower longer wider it is easy to manuver i will say i havnt broken a frame on my ltr yet i would say go ride one and see

NeverLiftRacing
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm curious what the weight numbers are between the two when built for MX. I might take my TRX up to the local scales and weigh it. Anyone have a weight number for a built LTR?

IRONFLIGHT2
08-18-2010, 07:34 AM
I wouldnt even waste your time bringing your honda to the scale hands down it will be 20 to 30lbs lighter in fully built mx form. However i have been racing the ltrs scince they came out in 06 i am going on my fourth ltr scince then and i have riden every other 450 out there in fully built mx form and i would not trade my ltr for any of them.In my opinion it is the best all around bike it handels by far the best out of anything i have riden and in the right hands can make awesome reliable power.My only problem i have with the ltr would be the weight which really doesnt make that much of a differance unless you are racing pro or pro am were every little advantage can help.I would love to be able to throw a leg over creamer or wimmers ltr and really see the potential it has they must be unbeleivable to ride, anyway good luck with your decision because in the end you are the one that has to like it.

RATPACK Z400
08-18-2010, 08:43 PM
You look at all the pro riders that rode honda then switch to suzuki and there riding always is better ,riders like Creamer ,jones,Gust, wimmer,borich ,EtC .All rode hondas before suzukis.Even when Honda comes out with new quad in future ,will have a hard time trying to beat the suzuki on the track IMO.The two fastest quads on track now IMO are the ltr450 then KFX450.You watch how fast wimmer pulls the straights on the rest of the 450s and you see some exceptional over taking power out of it compared to the others IMO. here,s suzuki,s 3rd year in a row MX ,GNNC (going on second yr)championship,won Baja last yr hasn,t placed less than second / third in the Gnnc/mx championships since 06.You rarly see suzuki,s leaving the track with motor problems in pro series like you see the rest of the 450,s all then have had many problem compared to the LTR450 IMO.And there,s 10 times more Yamaha,hondas on the track than the Suzuki!

motomxman450
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM
It's really up to you.... I rode a Suzuki for almost two years and loves it. Hated all the electic **** on it so I sold it. Helped my buddy out last year working one his bike at the nationals and dam the hondas are so eas to work on.... But as soon as I got on it, I felt so uncomfortable. It's really personal preferance, what you feal best on will be the best bet..

madskrillz2
08-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I feel like the geometry on the Suzuki is so good that weight isn't even an issue. I know everyone says they're a pig but when I ride mine I'd never think that.

09RappySe
08-29-2010, 08:36 PM
They may be heavy.....but they are quick and handle like their on rails.

bigbad400
08-30-2010, 05:55 AM
PIG:confused: ......

these things are so agile and nimble that that extra 20 lbs in mx form is nothing to even consider really, if your worried about 20 lbs slow down on the burgers. lol jk.

i rode every sport quad out there from a 200cc blaster to a banshee to a ktm, and every bike that is made for the dirt from 125cc to a fully built cr500 with a 720 big bore..... :eek2:

to choose a machine your gonna be able to win on and have fun on you need to just ride both and see what you like more. i feel that the power delivery on a 450r is absolute ****, the power delivery on the ltr450 is outstanding, handing the ltr dominates. but one thing depending on your style of riding is how wide the stock ltr sits, at almost 50 inches wide some tight trails might be a problem, i live in northern michigan thow and i dont run into that in bear county here. generally even a single wide trail you could fit a jeep down, but in gncc and some woods racing you might need to get -1" a arms.

its all in what you do, and how deep your pockets are.... and if there real deep you should forget about the honda and zuki, and go get a ktm you def wont regret it.

NeverLiftRacing
08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Well I haven't had the opportunity to ride a built zuki yet so that why I was asking ?'s on here. I hate the KTM's and would never own one. They look terrible and ride like crap IMO.

hrc450er
09-10-2010, 05:57 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
The two fastest quads on track now IMO are the ltr450 then KFX450.You watch how fast wimmer pulls the straights on the rest of the 450s and you see some exceptional over taking power out of it compared to the others IMO.
go to vimeo and watch episode 5 of the atv 24/7 series and see what creamer says about uppermans honda

Stiles86
09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
that would be the $$$$$$$$$$ yoshi motor not the fact its a suzuki(with that said kawis are junk imo)

Fred55
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Stiles86
that would be the $$$$$$$$$$ yoshi motor not the fact its a suzuki(with that said kawis are junk imo)

Could you please elaborate more on what you meant about the Kawi's being junk?

bigbad400
09-14-2010, 08:22 AM
dont think he knows...

Stiles86
09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
no prob. and thats just my opinion i picked up 2 of them when kawi was still supporting neatv...but i had nothing but bad luck and motor issues when kawi stoped supporting us they all vanished from the track guess no one else like them either just my opinion

89trx250r
10-07-2010, 12:05 AM
haha kawi's are good look at joel hetrick this year he ****ing destroyed **** and qualified with some of the fastest laps even amongst the pro class and his bike of choice is a kfx450r

hrc450er
10-07-2010, 08:25 AM
im sure it has nothin to do with kawi giving him alot of free quads

89trx250r
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
the ability to ride a quad fast has nothing to do with them giving him free ones so idk what your trying to say are you jealous that hes fast ans gets free **** maybe you should stop posting sarcastic comments on the forums and learn 2 ride

hrc450er
10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
so you know joel hetrick and he told you in secret that he actually likes kawi's the best. i was saying since kawi probably gave him the bikes and offered him a better deal than anyone else, he isnt going to say this bike is a piece of sh#t. am i jeleous oh yeah cause i dont get free quads. and i guess your reply wasn't sarcastic? maybe next time read into it so much and get your feelings hurt. besides im more than likely faster than you anyways

bigbad400
10-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
the ability to ride a quad fast has nothing to do with them giving him free ones so idk what your trying to say are you jealous that hes fast ans gets free **** maybe you should stop posting sarcastic comments on the forums and learn 2 ride

thats funny. :D

bigbad400
10-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by hrc450er
so you know joel hetrick and he told you in secret that he actually likes kawi's the best. i was saying since kawi probably gave him the bikes and offered him a better deal than anyone else, he isnt going to say this bike is a piece of sh#t. am i jeleous oh yeah cause i dont get free quads. and i guess your reply wasn't sarcastic? maybe next time read into it so much and get your feelings hurt. besides im more than likely faster than you anyways

over confident and cocky....

you dont think that he chose the bike based on what he likes, pile or not, put someone on a machine they dont like and it wont give you the same results, that guy obviously likes his kawi or he would have won races on a dif quad.... duh. and since you ride honda what the hell do you know about kawi anyhow?

also think about that comment from kawis point of view.... that guy was winning races befor they offered him the bike or they never would have offered a free quad... make sence why you dont have a free quad...? you dont win races. lol

like stated 100 times, they all have flaws and they all have good traits about them, you and i might not pick the same but that dont make it junk.

89trx250r
10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Scott,
not to pick on ya but if it was done with the correct parts and correct mods,they are as reliable or more so than any other quad.

Now before I upset you which I have no intent to do,I will say we had our share of problems but we found the solutions and the quads became very very reliable.

Joel won something like 25(not sure if it was more but i know not less than) national motos this year and had 3 dnf's, one was my fault after he crashed at pell city the plastic mounts bent down and sliced the bat.wire and the second was a blown head gasket.The third was crazy he was passing for the lead at Danville,hangin so far off the left side of the quad his knee went up under the tank and broke the fuel line.
Thats it though out of 43 motos and 11 time qualifiers
Kawasaki KFX is in my opinion the best 450 on the planet

thats a quote from joels dad in the kfx forums so basically **** you hrc :)