PDA

View Full Version : New here with a 400ex

kantor96
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I bought a 2003 400ex yesterday off craigslist for the rock bottom price of $500. It needs a new clutch, clutch cable and some transmission work. I'm an automotive technician and I have the service manual, so after some looking over, I'm assuming that the transmission needs new shift forks or shift dogs. When I shift and turn the back wheels the first gear works fine, however it doesn't feel like it clicks into place and the wheels just spin freely, then in third it does the same thing. Once in fourth it acts normal again. I was wondering if there are any tips? Also I am confused with the clutch lever orientation, I can see that the parking brake cable comes up to the same location, however in the service manual I didn't see any section for the clutch lever, this may be a stupid question, but it seems as if I might be missing some bushing or something since the lever dangles unsupported without the cable in it. Thanks in advance!

hocman123
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
i would replace the clutch first then see if it continues that is not that hard and might solve all the problems because to do ur tranny u need to crack ur case which isn't that hard but sure is a lot of work

and the lever itself has no tension untill u put a cable on it and ajust it right

kantor96
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I ordered the clutch already, it should be in tomorrow hopefully, ordered it off rockymountain 1day. The clutch lever tension makes sense, the way it was hanging just made me think it was too flimsy.

hocman123
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM
well they stock ones are not the as strong as some after market but untill the day it bends i wouldn't worry to much about it

also a good thing to do if u want will be to remove ur parking brake and get a block off plate for 10 bucks the

the parking brake never works anyway unless u ajust it every single time u ride it and if u have it to tight it will ware ur pads and rotor fast

08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
welcome to the site.

kantor96
08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks all for the helpful advice! I think I will remove the parking brake cable, it seems to just get in the way! Also, I had a problem with the starter solenoid, so I just took a relay and soldered it in instead, it seems to work fine. Should I have any worries with the amperage? Its a normal relay, cars use them for their starters, so I assume there shouldn't be any problems with an atv starter current draw.