PDA

View Full Version : Wow. This sucks.

99400esex
08-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Well I got quite a big problem on my hands now. I was putting the head cover back on after my hotcam install to find that one of the smaller bolts had been broken off and stuck down inside where it threads into the head. I know I didn't break it because I haven't even tightened it yet and it was fine coming out. Im thinking it was broken in there before I even started anything. My question is, how do I go about getting this out? Im thinking an easy out would do it but im no machinist and wouldn't trust myself drilling into it. What should I do

00426ex
08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm having the same problem- a broken bolt (only mine is stuck in the lower end where the oil filter case bolts on...). I have asked how to remove it and many people say an ez-out usually gets you in more trouble. What most people tell me to do is use a left handed drill bit, more simply put, a drill bit that has a blade going the opposite of a conventional drill bit. I can attach pictures to help you understand. Just get a small size reverse drill bit and drill into the part stuck and it will naturally drill in and pull it out at the same time. Of course, your drill will need to be running backwards (like your trying to remove something). Then, of course, you will probably need to buy a new bolt. Unless it is special, you can probably get a replacement at any hardware store. Hope it helped and good luck with your problem =)

Regular drill bit:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o58/K1lLer_2006/drill_bit.jpg

Reverse drill bit:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o58/K1lLer_2006/reverse_drill_bit.jpg

CJM
08-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Reverse drill bit or drill it out and tap it for the next size up.

You can buy the drill for like 3 bucks and the bolt for like a buck at home depot and a metric tap kit from harbor freight that will do the job for less than 20 bucks

99400esex
08-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I have a reliable guy I know that was a machinist for many years, he helps me sometimes when im having problems figuring out how to put things together or what not. He actually drove a bolt out of the top of my tranny on my truck, I tightened it a little too much and snapped the head off lol.:D He used an easy out when he did this and it worked perfect.

99400esex
08-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Reverse drill bit or drill it out and tap it for the next size up.

You can buy the drill for like 3 bucks and the bolt for like a buck at home depot and a metric tap kit from harbor freight that will do the job for less than 20 bucks

If I drill it out, wheres all the the metal shavings gonna go too?

CJM
08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
I have a reliable guy I know that was a machinist for many years, he helps me sometimes when im having problems figuring out how to put things together or what not. He actually drove a bolt out of the top of my tranny on my truck, I tightened it a little too much and snapped the head off lol.:D He used an easy out when he did this and it worked perfect.

Sometimes they work ok, but not usually on smaller bolts. I snapped an EZ out literally with EASE when I broke one of my header bolts on the head itself. I drilled and helicoiled it with no luck as it loosed later. Finally tapped it for a larger size and voila no issue.

If I drill it out, wheres all the the metal shavings gonna go too?

Its in your head itself or its in the valve cover (the last thing that goes on top of the engine?

Take a pic and i can help ya more!

If its in the head then you may have to remove the head (doubt it tho), tap it and use a can of brakekleen with a straw and shoot it in the hole and it will push the shavings out. Use a q-tip too, air helps even more but not everyone has it.

Your talking the small 6mm bolts that hold the valve cover on right? I redid my friends ENTIRE set with 7mm bolts from home depot cause all of his were helicoiled by someone else and they did a POOR job.

99400esex
08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sometimes they work ok, but not usually on smaller bolts. I snapped an EZ out literally with EASE when I broke one of my header bolts on the head itself. I drilled and helicoiled it with no luck as it loosed later. Finally tapped it for a larger size and voila no issue.

Its in your head itself or its in the valve cover (the last thing that goes on top of the engine?

If its in the head then you may have to remove the head, tap it and use a can of brakekleen with a straw and shoot it in the hole and it will push the shavings out. Use a q-tip too, air helps even more but not everyone has it.

Your talking the small 6mm bolts that hold the valve cover on right? I redid my friends ENTIRE set with 7mm bolts from home depot cause all of his were helicoiled by someone else and they did a POOR job.

Its in the head. Its one of the smaller 6 mm bolts

CJM
08-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Its in the head. Its one of the smaller 6 mm bolts

Then like I said, drill the sucker out if you can get it out with the reverse drill bit and tap it for 7mm and use 7mm bolts. Then use some never seize on the threads so they wont snap again.

My friends is holding up great btw :)

99400esex
08-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Then like I said, drill the sucker out if you can get it out with the reverse drill bit and tap it for 7mm and use 7mm bolts. Then use some never seize on the threads so they wont snap again.

My friends is holding up great btw :)

Nice. Thanks for the advice. Is this going to pose a problem with the base cover gasket since its a bigger size bolt?

CJM
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Nice. Thanks for the advice. Is this going to pose a problem with the base cover gasket since its a bigger size bolt?

Nope, should be fine since its 1mm bigger. your going from 6mm to 7mm.

Be forewarned that it might be harder to find 7mm bolts that are kinda long, so only replace ones that need to be done, dont go crazy and do them all. Also may need to use some washers to raise the head up cause the smaller 6mm bolt heads are stepped and the 7mm bolts have 8mm heads if i recall. Doesnt pose an issue tho, its just in some spots its hard to get the wrench on.

Total cost to do my friends job where we redid them all was like maybe 20 bucks worth of bolts. I had the taps and the drills already.

99400esex
08-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Nope, should be fine since its 1mm bigger. your going from 6mm to 7mm.

Be forewarned that it might be harder to find 7mm bolts that are kinda long, so only replace ones that need to be done, dont go crazy and do them all. Also may need to use some washers to raise the head up cause the smaller 6mm bolt heads are stepped and the 7mm bolts have 8mm heads if i recall. Doesnt pose an issue tho, its just in some spots its hard to get the wrench on.

Total cost to do my friends job where we redid them all was like maybe 20 bucks worth of bolts. I had the taps and the drills already.

That aint bad at all then, I only need to do the one all the others are fine. If your standing behind the quad looking at it it is the one on the left side, there are 2 of them on the side but it is the front one. I also noticed there is something else in there too but it was there when I took the head cover off, its kinda like a little dowel rod that sits in the hole where the thread goes through. What is that and is it supposed to be there?

CJM
08-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Dowel rod, it aligns everything and its supposed to be there.

99400esex
08-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Dowel rod, it aligns everything and its supposed to be there.

Thanks. Hopefully ill have a chance to get it done today.