PDA

View Full Version : Time for a rebuild... Upgrade??

maryland450r
08-13-2010, 03:03 PM
So i learned today that my odd noise coming from my engine was worn crank bearings. It got a knocking/ rattling sound. Louder that the normal engine noises. I took the stator cover off and by grabbing the flywheel I can tell there is play in the crank. It still runs good so hopefully there is no damage yet. Good timing I guess since I also learned a few days ago I have 2 small cracks in the bottom of my cases. 1 on each. So I was planning on either getting some better cases or repairing them.

I want to up the cc's a little. i don't have the money to go all out on a CT, ESR, or Duncan cylinder/ stroker kit. I want to keep it in the decently reliable range, so I would like to keep it at 295 or smaller.

If I play it safe and install a new crank should I just get a +4mil or +6mil crank and just go to my next bore on my stock cylinder? This would put me at 284 or 292.
Also, should I stay with the short rod or go to a long rod with a spacer? My engine is an '86

Ruf Racing
08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Damn John that sucks. I like your thinking though, let's get rebuilding, and back to some riding. Good luck! :macho

slamdak8782
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM
If I was you id pay a couple extra bucks and do it right.

maryland450r
08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
What do you mean...... Use an aftermarket big bore cylinder instead of a stroker??

Any opinions or advice are welcome. I know many, many of you have done all this already, I just want to make a wise decision.:D

Honda 250r 001
08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Stroker crank adds a lot of bottom end! I wouldnt go over +4. Any over that, and it becomes more of a machine job than a drop in. Even with the +4, you have to watch closly for rod clearence. I use to run one! worked good for me. But getting a crank thats good is hard to do. Because hotrods are iffy. and ESR's are expensive. But DAM good

havinnoj
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
A stroker will be awesome but if you have the money throw a stroker in a pro-x cyl