PDA

View Full Version : carrier assembly

uchi
08-13-2010, 09:51 AM
ok, i was doing the back brakes on my 400 and noticed that the big axle nut wasnt tightened up all the way. it was a good half inch from the rotor assembly. so i proceeded to tighten it and its come off the threads and still isnt tight enough. is there some kind of spacer that should be in there? the carrier bearings were done by a guy i know and before i go and talk to him to need to know if theres anything that should be in there, spacer, washer, anything like that. i checked the manual but the picture wasnt clear enough for me to know if its got something or not.

honda400ex2003
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
time for a new nut setup. mine did the same thing last year. it got stripped off at the ends of the threads but didnt look like it. it should just have the round snap ring, the two nuts, and the sleeve that all snug up against both parts as you have it. I am not really sure what ever caused mine to start to loosen up. lol all of a sudden my bearings were shot and went to torque it to spec and it was toast. steve

uchi
08-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Well I tightened it up but now the back axle seems to be sticking a little. The wide nut was stuck and I couldn't get it free. It's free now :-)
Where can i get a new nut assembly from for cheap? I'm doing new bearings again soon and these are cheap so I wanna keep them alive

uchi
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey Steve you have a spare left hand front Caliper kicking around? The *** who owned this thing before me stripped the threads on th set screw hole that holds the pads on and I've stripped the set screw trying to get it out.

Honda5
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
If you can't find a caliper let me know I think I have one.

NacsMXer
08-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by uchi
Well I tightened it up but now the back axle seems to be sticking a little. The wide nut was stuck and I couldn't get it free. It's free now :-)
Where can i get a new nut assembly from for cheap? I'm doing new bearings again soon and these are cheap so I wanna keep them alive

Do yourself a favor now and get a RAD lock nut. It's a dual pinch bolt style so it doesn't come loose. And it's a heck of a lot easier to deal with than the stock POS axle nut. I used to dread having to loosen the stock nut every time I had to service something on the rear end. But now I just loosen 2 small allen bolts and the RAD nut comes off easy as pie. Just Ebay "Rad lock nut" and it should come up. They are a little less than 50 bucks.

honda400ex2003
08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
x2 that is the ideal setup with the rad lock. at the time i fixed mine, my budget didnt allow for the rad setup or i would have got that. steve

4strokernow
08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
With the RAD lock nut would it cover up the excess spline?...got any pics with the RAD nut on your axle?..cause I just did my axle today and I have the same problem with the lock nut