PDA

View Full Version : 400ex fast idle?

trailrider894
08-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, i have just finished getting my atv running after my crash. I started it up, it was idling extremely fast. I tried adjusting the idle setting on the carb and nothing changed. I adjusted the cable and it slowed down a little bit but still not near as low as it needs to be. Any ideas? Is it just time for a carb rebuild and a full re-jet? or?

On a side note, the engine did heat up very very fast and emitted a rather odd smell that i have never smelled before. This could be from sitting since July 4th or something else that is wrong?

This things has caused me more trouble the past 6 months than even my project car... i have probably 3 hours of ride time on my EX since January because everytime i put the darned thing together i have to take it back apart.

Scro
08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I would make sure your cable is not kinked or damaged anywhere. It's possible it could have been damaged in the crash.

tri5ron
08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Are there any cracks or leaks in/at the carb boot ? (rubber boot between the carb and engine)
If no cracks, check to see that the carb is seated well in the boot, and is tightened properly.

trailrider894
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
okay. I will do that!