View Full Version : Sparks Timing Key

jaybee240
08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I just purchased a +6 timing key for my 400 ex and was wondering how hard it was to check the timing through the spark plug hole? or if this is even neccesary

trailrider894
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
uh... i don't think you can check it through the spark plug hole... If you made sure to follow the directions carefully and lined everything up correctly on TDC like it says in the instructions, it be just fine.

tri5ron
08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
this might help...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks+advance

jaybee240
08-17-2010, 12:02 AM
OK so I read through all those pages which was great info but no one really ever said how to adjust your valves with this in do I just set it once the rocker are have the most play in them

trailrider894
08-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Do you have a service manual?

CarGuy7a
08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by jaybee240
OK so I read through all those pages which was great info but no one really ever said how to adjust your valves with this in do I just set it once the rocker are have the most play in them

What I do is take all the plastics off and everything off like I do when I am going to do a valve adjustment. I'll take one of the intake valve adjustment caps off and watch the valve while rotating the engine counterclockwise by hand. When you see the intake valve open and then close, you are on the compression stroke. Now with the sparks key installed the marks on the flywheel will be useless.

To find your TDC you need to remove the spark plug and insert some sort of clean dowel rod, you want something long enough that is not going to fall into the cylinder on accident. Then you want to rotate the motor back and forth slowly to find the highest peak point of the piston. When you find that highest point, you are at TDC.

jaybee240
08-18-2010, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys