PDA

View Full Version : Basket Case project anyone?

IMSROLL450R
08-12-2010, 04:46 PM
So I bought a 440 motor completely disassembled in boxes and coffee cans the other day and was wondering if anyone else had ever attempted one of these motors in this condition?? After a complete page turn of the manual for this thing I think pretty much everything is there as he said. The bottom of the wiseco 89mm sleeve cracked and apparently went into the cases which meant at the very least it needed a new piston and sleeve. The crank bearings are a little iffy so I'm more than likely going to replace them as well as put a new crank in it just because. I havent seen anywhere that the cases were damaged or anything else that was damaged by the sleeve pieces besides a few marks on some of the gears in the transmission. I doubt that would affect much because they dont seem bad so I may just leave them. Other than that it all seems fine.

So my questions are has anyone put one together with a can of bolts not knowing where ANY of the bolts go? There are a million 8mm head bolts of several different lengths and it seems like "putting one in and if it fits leave it" is a horrible way to go about it. Any tips on what to do to sort these bolts out????

I have split the cases on the 06 450r I used to have but I always sorted everything and made sure I knew where EVERYTHING went.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this "basket case?" Also any other stuff I should do while Im in there?

I've been on this site for some time and spent most of my time in the 450 forum so hopefully you 400 gurus have shed some light....

Thanks in advance.

vaget22
08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I would start with going over the micro fiche of what you are looking at. A lot of times it will give you the dimensions of the bolts. I use Babbittsonline.com. I like Babbitt's sight because you can look up part numbers and go back and do a search by that number and they will show what other bikes that part fits. If you take your time you should figure out where all those bolts go. Hope this helps.

IMSROLL450R
08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by vaget22
I would start with going over the micro fiche of what you are looking at. A lot of times it will give you the dimensions of the bolts. I use Babbittsonline.com. I like Babbitt's sight because you can look up part numbers and go back and do a search by that number and they will show what other bikes that part fits. If you take your time you should figure out where all those bolts go. Hope this helps.

Cool thats the first thing I thought about doing. Should be able to use Hondaparts-direct.com to look at the micro fiche too. Man this is gonna take forever. I just ordered a bolt kit off ebay anyway...

honda400ex2003
08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
bikebandit also has some good micros on everything. I dont think they are the same numbers though, as i have never verified them. they are probably the same. as long as most of it is there it shouldnt be bad, it will probably be pretty cool to get it all going. then you can have a job well done and done by you :D steve

IMSROLL450R
08-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
bikebandit also has some good micros on everything. I dont think they are the same numbers though, as i have never verified them. they are probably the same. as long as most of it is there it shouldnt be bad, it will probably be pretty cool to get it all going. then you can have a job well done and done by you :D steve

Thats exactly what I was going for. I want to know EVERYTHING about it and think this is a good way to do so. I also just picked up an entire 400 completely tore down ready for powdercoat and 2 more motors so I got quite the project on my hands. I'm gonna put pics on here sometime.