PDA

View Full Version : XC set up questions?

Foxhound013
08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Later tonight I planned on ordering a sparks key and a stg 1 cam, i'm still planning on going with the stg 1 cam but i'm uncertain on the sparks key as of right now. I don't want to lose low end power because i want to have plenty to power through the tough stuff. I'm just curious as to what everyone elses opinion is. Thanks

honda400ex2003
08-12-2010, 02:00 PM
imo they are a great combo from my experience running both together. the stage 1 has the great 400ex type of low end and a stong mid, the key helps out the mid and gives some top. win win. I think you will enjoy the whole band with that setup for xc. im interested now and subcribed to see how everyone else feels. :D steve

Foxhound013
08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Steve, I was hoping maybe you'd pop in and give me some advice on this one. I think i'll prolly just order both tonight then.

tri5ron
08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Foxhound013
Later tonight I planned on ordering a sparks key and a stg 1 cam, i'm still planning on going with the stg 1 cam but i'm uncertain on the sparks key as of right now. I don't want to lose low end power because i want to have plenty to power through the tough stuff. I'm just curious as to what everyone elses opinion is. Thanks
With the mods you already have on your bike, you would be very pleased with the stage 1 and sparks key.
You already have most everything else for a respectable XC machine.

About the only other things that might benefit you, would be a good slip-on, and a 450r carb.

Since you will already be rejetting it once you get the cam, why not go ahead and do the carb, and muffler at the same time, and rejet it all together.

You could reasonably expect about a 5 HP gain, over what you currently have.

honda400ex2003
08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
x2 they are all great mods and would benefit you alot for xc. :D steve

Foxhound013
08-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I planned on trying to get a good slip on before next years first race, that and some flex bars, i'll hold off on the carb as of right now because once school starts I won't have a job lol. Next year will be the first year I can race the 400 because of the age restriction. And thanks for poppin in on this too tri5ron, you and steve were the two people I had been hoping to here from most.

tri5ron
08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Do the carb before the flexx bars.
more benefit for 1/2 the cost.
(since you already have the CCP, and good front shocks)

Watch the classifieds, CL, ebay, for a used slip-on.
Place a wanted ad on the classifieds.
Lots of guys on here have them sitting around in their garage.

Come on guys,... pony up !
Does anyone have a slip-on they are willing to let go cheap ???

Ian400ex
08-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Good luck with your upcoming season man, I'd like to start racing sometime soon as well. :)

Foxhound013
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I think i'll be able to grab the carb, slip on, and flexx bars before next years season start because christmas and my birthday are between now and then lol. Right now all the money i have is goin towards the cam and sparks key, I just ordered the key. So it'll be on its way. :D

Foxhound013
08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm also doin pretty much everything used lol, not much on my quad has been new parts lol, but its a whole lot cheaper that way :D lol

Foxhound013
08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I ordered it all today, i've got the cam and sparks key on the way. I'm hoping it'll be even better for the trails than it was before. I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

tri5ron
08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm also doin pretty much everything used lol, not much on my quad has been new parts lol, but its a whole lot cheaper that way :D lol
"Be studious in your profession, and you will be learned. Be industrious and frugal, and you will be rich. Be sober and temperate, and you will be healthy. Be in general virtuous, and you will be happy. At least you will, by such conduct, stand the be." --Benjamin Franklin

Thumpin
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
A higher compression piston is one of the best mods for the 400EX!

With your sparks key, stg 1 cam, I'd stay with 10-10.5:1 for a pump gas 400. But that added compression will bring the torque monster outta that EX!

Foxhound013
08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I may consider that this winter lol :D

MtnEX
08-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Well I didn't catch you in time for this money....

But after this is done, if I were you, the next money I would spend is on suspension. When you race it as-is your first time in XC... you'll understand.

You will benefit a lot by at least sending your shocks off to a rebuilder that is very good at "conversions"...

Basically, they can take your current shock bodies, reuse them, put aftermarket internals in them... and in the end have them revalve and respring them specifically for you.

If you have to do it in increments, do the back first if it has not already been done and doesn't already have a link.

Then have the KFX fronts revalved and resprung.

I would use someone other than GT Thunder, especially for the fronts.

Foxhound013
08-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah I figured shocks would be one of my best possible mods but theres no way I would've had the money in time, at least i don't think so lol, that'll prolly be my next thing to do, i'm prolly gonna send em off to Nick over at jet, he's not to far from where I live so it won't take to long to get there and get em back.

MtnEX
08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah I figured shocks would be one of my best possible mods but theres no way I would've had the money in time, at least i don't think so lol, that'll prolly be my next thing to do, i'm prolly gonna send em off to Nick over at jet, he's not to far from where I live so it won't take to long to get there and get em back.

I think that would be a good choice there.
I've read a lot of good things about Jet.

Foxhound013
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah everyone around here goes to Jet for that stuff. Never heard a bad thing about em, I have read some bad things happening with the shaft snapping when people had gotten em done by GT Thunder, but I don't know. So shocks and pipe are prolly next on my list. A buddy of mine and my dads made a good point the other day. Before I go spendin all the money to set the 400 up to keep up with the 450s I may wanna think about just goin after a 450 lol. They aren't to hard to find for around 3000 right now. I think i'm just gonna finish what i have left to do on it and race it for this year and then think about gettin a 450, but for right now I don't need one lol

MtnEX
08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah everyone around here goes to Jet for that stuff. Never heard a bad thing about em, I have read some bad things happening with the shaft snapping when people had gotten em done by GT Thunder, but I don't know. So shocks and pipe are prolly next on my list. A buddy of mine and my dads made a good point the other day. Before I go spendin all the money to set the 400 up to keep up with the 450s I may wanna think about just goin after a 450 lol. They aren't to hard to find for around 3000 right now. I think i'm just gonna finish what i have left to do on it and race it for this year and then think about gettin a 450, but for right now I don't need one lol

Yeah, I know what you mean. The suspension stuff is expensive. But there is a reason it costs the most.

As you know, the 450 suspension is an upgrade. But it's still not going to be as good as custom work. And 450 shocks on a 450 are not nearly as ample as they are on a 400.

And yeah, you don't really need a 450 yet. The 400 is a good place to get some experience. And once you are really pushing it and over riding it... then think about going to a 450. But do it in the off-season so you can hone your clutching skills.

Foxhound013
08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Just got my sparks key in today, i should get my stg 1 cam saturday, so hopefully we'll get all that and the clutch in sunday.

Foxhound013
09-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Bike is smoking now :scary: lol, I'm betting on the rings being bad, I mean come on its still running on the stock rings from 04 lol I guess this gives me the excuse to order the 10:1 piston hahaha :D whatta ya guys think, 10:1 oughta be good right?

Foxhound013
09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I forgot in the last post to say, whats the piston size i need 85mm?

MtnEX
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Take it to the shop to be checked out and let them determine what you need to get.

tri5ron
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I forgot in the last post to say, whats the piston size i need 85mm? You need to first have a machine shop measure your cylinder, to determine if it is barrel shaped, and in need of a Hone/Bore job, i.e.- 406, 416, 426, etc.
Then, you will be able to better determine what piston size you will need.
hope this helps.
on edit- Oops, mtnex beat me to it.

trx400Rider
09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Possibly valve seals.
take the head off and remove the valves

Foxhound013
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
If it was the valve seals wouldn't it just smoke on start up? Just wondering

MtnEX
09-09-2010, 04:47 PM
If it was the valve seals wouldn't it just smoke on start up? Just wondering

Depends on how bad... lol...

Do you have compression testing tools?

If so, check compression... then add a cap full of oil through the plug hole and test again...

Or if you have a leak-down tester that is even better. You can be certain then... by where the air leaks down to.