PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Broken Bolt Holes

Ruf Racing
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I saw a thread last week, about repairing case saver bolt holes. Now I can't find it. Besides welding up some material, to drill and retap, I think it was Troy who mentioned some aluminum epoxy. Can anyone help me out. Thanks.

slamdak8782
08-12-2010, 09:02 PM
probably jb weld or devcom aluminum filler

Ruf Racing
08-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Troy sent me the link. This is the stuff.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.asp

troybilt
08-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Its tough stuff, I don't think its an epoxy its more like an aluminum brazing rod. Its can be used to weld aluminum as well. I welded a broken skid plate and just smashed it last weekend... LOL!! weld held up fine!!

maryland450r
08-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Do you think this might work to fix a hairline crack in a case. I have one just inside the area where the clutch cover meets the case up near the water pump area. It's just enough to where oil seeps out when the engine gets hot. Might just get some good cases and rebuild......

troybilt
08-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Absolutely, this is used to repair cylinder walls as well. Check out the video.... I'm not salesman for this stuff btw! Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it does work ok for these things. One thing I noticed when using it is the part needs to be horizontal or the stuff tends to "run" when you heat it up, can be a pain in the arse to work with. If you've brazed before, this is easier than that though.

What they don't show in the video is the guy cussing and throwing crap! ....it never works quite as easy as they show in these videos... stuff can be ground and machined just like aluminum.

maryland450r
08-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Nice! Thanks! I might have to give it a try.