PDA

View Full Version : KFX450R opinions?

Fred55
08-11-2010, 01:08 PM
So I was just wondering why it seems like the support for the Kawasaki died out very fast or never really took off to begin with? Is there a reason why people aren't setting them up for racing like they still are with older designs, such as the Honda? I know Pappy recently switched to a YFZR, I would hope to hear his opinion on the bike as well.

Pappy
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Overall it served us well. Light, handling isnt bad in stock trim, power is usable but slightly less then the other 450's.

We havent really had a single issue during a race with it, infact cody has won or placed well in several races on it.

I started noticing things vibrating loose after 4 or 5 good XC races, and teh front end is sloppy now as well. All stock parts so easily replaced off ebay.

Biggest issue we have had was keeping the fenders on it, brackets break easy and arent cheap. The skidplate mounts (the threaded bungs) have pulled out of the frame.

Switched to the new YFZ-X for better power, more availabilty of parts and ease of access to parts. The KFX out handles the YFZ in the wood in our accessment. Infact its one of the best handling woods quads I think weve ever really had.

sexysilverado45
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
i had an ltr and then i switched to a kfx simply because its lighter and the handling once you put after market suspension on is so much better, also i like the feel of the power alot better than the ltr. the ltr felt like it had more by far but it also had the big 3 done to it were my kfx only has a pipe. also lots of people say their not reliable i haven't had a problem with mine except for things iv broke from crashes. plus the fact im nowere near as tired after a race on kfx as i was with the ltr is a awsome.

but to each their own

put definatly you need to put blue lock tight on all nuts and bolts for the plastics of any quad i figured that out with both of my quads

Jigsaw
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I've had mine for 2 years. Been reliable and fun to ride. I ride tight technical trails for the most part and it feels right at home. The gears are too close together though, it seems like when I hammer it on a straight away, before I know it Im in 5th when I should be in like 3rd. People complain about the hard seat, but that dont bother me as most of the time Im standing up man handling that sum***** like a badass haha

Only trouble I have with it is the crappy starting and the battery drains after I let it sit for a day or so. I guess its time to get a new battery.

sexysilverado45
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
the seat isn't bad when ever you park your quad you should leave it in nuetral it will drain the battery if you leave it in first. also check your valves for starting and also before you start it let it complete prime. i let it prime for about 5-10seconds how ever long it takes and it starts right when i hit the button.

o also play with your idle screw.

k4f5x0r
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I Love mine for how i use it. It get a mix of everything, but mainly MX.

Add a pipe and a programmer, an intake if you want some more scoot and its just fine for a casual to moderate rider.

I prefer it over the other 450's i've rode( TRX, LTR, YFZ)

With the KFX i feel nice and centered with the quad, it feels like, nimble and controllable. With the TRX and the YFZ, i felt like i was sitting on the grab bar of the machine, seated much too far back. The LTR felt very similar to the KFX, just wider and heavier.

KFX450Rrider490
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
ive had two of them and honestly i realy like the kawie! then on the other side of things the reason ive had two was because of reliability the first one that i had, after 3 months decided it didnt want to run anymore, the tps along with other things caused it to sit at the dealer under warenty for 2 weeks and they couldnt fix it. so i was given the second one and have had very little problems other than finding that i have to keep at it with di-electric grease. other than that tough id say go for it you wont be disappointed.

and pappy what are you doing with that kawie? you wouldnt want to sell the shocks off it by chance would you?