PDA

View Full Version : how to stop leaky tranny plug

mrjwahl72
08-11-2010, 09:39 AM
The bolt under the motor where you drain the tranny fluid at, is a little leaky. I believe its the threads in the motor because the bolt doesnt stay tightened up all the way. it tightens up for a sec then just comes loose. How can i fix this?

SilverLake250R
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
There is supposed to be some sort of crush washer on the drain bolt. I used a plastic washer from an auto store, but it still dripped every once in a while, so I also put some teflon tape on the threads and it hasn't leaked all year.

mrjwahl72
08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
There is supposed to be some sort of crush washer on the drain bolt. I used a plastic washer from an auto store, but it still dripped every once in a while, so I also put some teflon tape on the threads and it hasn't leaked all year.

i might try this, how much did you tighten up the bolt?

cdrookie
08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
the threads are stripped, probably in the case. it needs to be helicoiled or drilled/tapped for a larger bolt

atvmxr
08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by mrjwahl72

dont get too tough with that bolt, you'll pull the threads right out of there, if you havent already..

SilverLake250R
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM

I didn't tighten it very tight- maybe 10-15 ft-lbs. I have stripped one out before and tapped it for a larger bolt.

mrjwahl72
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
I didn't tighten it very tight- maybe 10-15 ft-lbs. I have stripped one out before and tapped it for a larger bolt.
Did you have to take your motor apart to do that or did you do it right on the bike?

SilverLake250R
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Did you have to take your motor apart to do that or did you do it right on the bike?

I did it right on the bike- lots of tapping wax and and change the tranny fluid to get most of the shavings out. I have been running that engine for over a year since then, so it either cleans it out good enough or I got lucky.

slamdak8782
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I had this problem on my r unfortunately I was out on the oversize as far as I could go, so I went to autozune and got a rubber one you twist a wing nut and it tightens up. It works great if your where I was cheap and easy.

mrjwahl72
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
i might have to try the rubber wing nut. I got a new crush washer and used teflon tape and its still leaky. Im pretty sure its the bolt. what else could it be? I have a skid plate on it

atvmxr
08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
so all you see is oil on the skid plate and assuming its from the bolt?

i suppose it could also be leaking from a bad seal on the shifter or sprocket....

86 Quad R
08-12-2010, 08:12 AM
at this point i'd remove the skid pan, wipe the bottom of the engine clean and inspect things to see exactly where the oil is coming from. chances are it isnt coming from the drain.

mrjwahl72
08-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
at this point i'd remove the skid pan, wipe the bottom of the engine clean and inspect things to see exactly where the oil is coming from. chances are it isnt coming from the drain.

So i should just take the skid plate off, and wipe everything down? Should i let the motor run to see if i can notice where it leaking from?

cdrookie
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
you said the drain bolt tightens for a sec then it's loose. that means the hole in the cases are stripped. the cases are cast aluminum, bolt is metal, highly doubt the bolt stripped before the case hole. a new crush washer won't fix it, teflon tape won't fix it. it needs drilled and tapped to a larger size or helicoiled. you could use the rubber plug as suggested, but if you ever go to sell it, i'd fix it right before someone notices it.