PDA

View Full Version : engine cleaner

bump1
02-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know of anything that you can use on your engine to make it look like new again, like get the mud stains out of the cooling fins. Let me know what some of you use. Thanks

wyndzer
02-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Charlie Soap works well.

Taco
02-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by wyndzer
Charlie Soap works well.
enlighten me:D

bump1
02-04-2003, 07:01 PM
where do you get it?

HiperEX
02-04-2003, 08:28 PM
i used gunk engine cleaner was like a charm my front sprocket area had about a inch or more oild and grease from teh chain and took it right off and made it look like new i got this stuff from a hardware store u can probably get it at a walmart or hardware store

wyndzer
02-05-2003, 06:41 AM
www.charliesoap.com :huh

This stuff is made for use on motorcycles. It's made right here in NC:macho I buy the gallon jug and mix it myself, then spray it on w/ a spray bottle. Let it sit for 10 min. and your done.

yellow400rider
02-05-2003, 11:31 AM
i have used gunk engine degreaser on my car engines and it works wonders, i would assume it would do the same for r quad motors. i mostly ride in dry, dusty conditions and simple green works great for all the hard to reach dirt impacted areas :D just spray it on and let sit a couple of min's and use a little H20 pressure and your good to go.

Darrell
02-05-2003, 12:33 PM
yeah, Gunk also makes an Item called "Super Clean" thats what I use on mine. It comes in a tall silver aresol can. Word of warning though, keep it off your plastic, it'll turn it white.

It has Di-limonene, Methlene Chloride and Xylene in it, these are all good solvents for cleaning oiley type dirts, and it rinses off well with water. And even for a bonus, it has a citrus smell...LOL like I know you're worried about that.

fuddrucker
02-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Gunk will turn your plastics white as well. Especially if you have a coating of Future acrylic floor finish on them. Just a word of warning.

Fluid400
02-06-2003, 02:57 PM
simple green not diluted works wonders just follow directions

brian400ex
02-07-2003, 12:20 PM
what about aluminum wheel cleaner? I bet that would brighten up the engine.

luvmyex
02-07-2003, 03:04 PM
wheel cleaner works pretty good,so does the wysley's tire bleach.

RytM1
02-07-2003, 09:09 PM
I use Simple Green to clean, and then I use CD-2 Engine Detail Spray. It looks like WD-40 or Armor All'd your motor.

Sparkles
02-09-2003, 12:00 AM
get some gunk engine degreaser i forget wut the exact name is but its somethin like that and spray it on, let it sit for awhile and take a tooth brush to it and rub an rinse

"BLAHH"300!!
02-19-2003, 01:58 AM
i've sat there with a water hose and a can of gas goin at my engine several time's....little results.
.....and these cleaner's will make my 7 year old motor look like it just came off the showroom floor?

GUNK, it comes in an aresol can, and i just spray it on like paint, let it sit, take a (toothbrush?) rub it around a little, and wrinse.
and it's good as new,

and i can buy it at wal-mart...???

bump1
02-19-2003, 05:21 AM
Since I started this thread I have used. Simple Green works o.k. Gunk engine degreaser. Castrol wheel cleaner. The wheel cleaner problably worked the best but they all worked. I think the secret is to get a toothbrush or some sort of brush you can really scrub hard on the engine or any other part. None of them were spray on spray off and got good results. Thanks for your replys :chinese:

SobeAHonda
02-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Simple Green works real well.

luvmyex
02-21-2003, 05:30 PM
you gotta scrub no matter what! a scotch brite pad does great with the cleaner.

dingo
02-21-2003, 08:58 PM
I use simple green spray concentrate and a brush. Say does every one east of the Rockies shop at Wal-mart the Wal-marts here are kinda like a big K-Mart.

KandK952
02-22-2003, 03:06 PM
I think the best thing out is Castrol Super Clean. Especially if you dont dilute it. Works wonders on everything. Just dont spray it on something that is chrome (because it spots) or colored fenders because it will dull them after you use it a while.

Bill Fuller
02-28-2003, 02:02 PM
A good friend of mine is a BLUE CORAL dealer,and they sell aluminum cleaner (not sure of the name). You have to dilute or it will turn your cases white,just spray on let sit for about 20/30 seconds and rinse with water.Works great my motor looks like new,rims,skids,bumpers etc...:D

Daredevil1
03-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Castrol super clean works very good too, but again dont get it on polished aluminum, it leaves white spots. It is probably the best just cleaner i have found yet. It keeps the fins real clean on the inside, my blaster engine looks like its from the showroom, minus all the shiny stuff :D .

RED121572
03-08-2003, 11:40 AM
I tried everything on the store shelves. Im convienced that theres nothing out there that will make it showroom new again.

I recently had the jug and head glass beaded and the partz look as if they are brand new.

Miguel 400EX
03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
The best product to remove stains, grease,oil, and even tar is Coca-Cola. I'm not BSing you at all. Coke will take anything off due to the high acid levels in the beverage. I have even heard that the Coca-cola company uses it to degrease their truck motors. A test was run where they sealed a 9 penny nail into a can of coca-cola, and in less that two months the coke had completly disolved the nail!

optikid123
03-11-2003, 07:31 PM
really? i better not be wasteing a can of soda on this unless it works

dhines
03-12-2003, 06:45 AM
I've tried Simple Green, Catrol, Gunk, etc. and I've never seen an engine get as clean as Fuller's with that Blue Coral stuff - it's amazing...

By the way b!tch, how much does that stuff run?

honda_250x_87
03-13-2003, 12:13 AM
i actually did this myself.. i got a few cans of fast orange degreaser & i sprayed it on, & scrubbed all the fins & hard to reach places with a paint brush.. it came just like new! well, my bikes an 87 & whoever had it before me didnt wash it! ever! oil and grease was all over.. & i mean all over! lol

RED121572
03-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Miguel 400EX
The best product to remove stains, grease,oil, and even tar is Coca-Cola. I'm not BSing you at all. Coke will take anything off due to the high acid levels in the beverage. I have even heard that the Coca-cola company uses it to degrease their truck motors. A test was run where they sealed a 9 penny nail into a can of coca-cola, and in less that two months the coke had completly disolved the nail!

This sounds a lot like snipe hunting. lol Ill give it a try though.:D

shamisc
03-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by bump1
Does anyone know of anything that you can use on your engine to make it look like new again, like get the mud stains out of the cooling fins. Let me know what some of you use. Thanks

Find some Aluminum brightener or acid. I had red mudd stains on my cylinder that would not come off. I concidered painting it, until my uncle convinced me to try the aluminum acid. My whole engine now looks new!! I do recommend that you dilute it. Fill a spray bottle about 3/4 full of acid and top it off with water, spray it on, let it set about 15 seconds, spray it off. May take a couple of applications, but WILL WORK GREAT!! :D :cool: :eek2:

RoadkillerRyan
03-30-2003, 04:47 AM
coca-cola?!?
does it work?

Sportrax10
03-30-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Miguel 400EX
I heard the story about the Coca-cola company using it too degease their trucks. I believe you.