PDA

View Full Version : can you make a 2wd dodge 4 wd?

woodsracer144
08-11-2010, 01:03 AM
title says it all, its a 91 also with a cummins in it

buddy's looking at a project truck

ECOR#8
08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
if you put the 4x4 front axle under it, transmission and transfer case and do all the work with the steering and brakes yeah its possible. i have a friend that converted a jeep comanche from 2wd to 4wd

woodsracer144
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
how hard is it? i hear its rather easy to do with the chevy's and really had to do on the ford cause they dont use anything really swaps. I don't really know much about the dodge...

gtt416ex
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
you get the 4wd front axle, preferably a dana 44 or 60. Then buy a 4wd transmission(there's a difference, it's all in the tail-shaft) and a transfer case. Then you need the front drive shaft. You'll have to make the mounts for the t-case or buy some. then the hardest part will be cutting the hole in your floor pan for the t-case shifter, running the linkages, and making it look factory.

But i do have a question...aren't the 2wd dodges IFS?

ECOR#8
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
not all of them. at the welding shop i worked at for a while we had a 2 wheel drive 1 ton dually (1995 i believe) and it had a solid front under it, with coil springs and control arms much like the set up found on the 4x4's

gtt416ex
08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
that's true on the 2nd gen(94-01) because that's when they introduced the parallel 4-link w/track bar setup. But the 1st gen ram was leaf sprung solid axle(4wd) and IFS with 2wd's.

So the k-member would have to be taken out, and you'd start from there. And for the rear you'd need the factory 4" blocks off a 4wd.

I'm not trying to start an argument, i'm a BIG Mopar fan and my dad's taught me alot of what he knows about them. Just making sure that the correct information is given:)

ECOR#8
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by gtt416ex

I'm not trying to start an argument, i'm a BIG Mopar fan and my dad's taught me alot of what he knows about them. Just making sure that the correct information is given:)

no offence taken. your knowledge with this topic is greater than mine. im a chevy guy, i dont know a whole lot about the dodges. all i know is just of what ive seen and experienced first hand, and that if you have the proper tools and fab skills you can turn a 2wd into a 4wd

CJM
08-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Do it like this:
Find a 4x4 dodge at a yard or someone parting it out. Doesnt have to be the cummins, all the dodges used the same setup pretty much.

You need:
-front axle and all mounts
-front and rear driveshafts
-trans
-transfer case
-anything related to them, IE vac lines, shifters, etc.

Then go to work. It will be somewhat easy if you do it one part at a time and take pics of the 4x4 dodge.

If your gonna piecemeal all the parts it gets tough...

OR

swap the cummins into the other truck.

TCracin440ex
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
it can be done, but instead of buying a new tranmission and transfer case look for a divorced style transfer case and do it that way. it requires a short driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case but it would prob be alot cheaper to do it that way with a divorced style case opposed to a marrage style where the case is bolted to the tranny itself

gtt416ex
08-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
it can be done, but instead of buying a new tranmission and transfer case look for a divorced style transfer case and do it that way. it requires a short driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case but it would prob be alot cheaper to do it that way with a divorced style case opposed to a marrage style where the case is bolted to the tranny itself

good point, if its long wheelbase. If we're dealing with a short wheelbase, you'll have driveline angle issues, and i don't think they make CV driveshafts for rams. I have an '84 power ram swb, and it doesn't have room for a divorced t-case.

CJM
08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Divorced cases are just another thing that can break.

Like I said: drivetrain from a 4wd dodge will bolt right up-getting it intact is another story tho.

woodsracer144
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
does this sound too good to be true?

91 cummins reg cab flat bed, dualy 5 speed 155K for 1800 cash? need front end work (tie rods, ball joints ext.)

CJM
08-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
does this sound too good to be true?

91 cummins reg cab flat bed, dualy 5 speed 155K for 1800 cash? need front end work (tie rods, ball joints ext.)

no, if its not a 4wd most dont want them. check it out, worst that happens is its junk.

woodsracer144
08-11-2010, 09:53 PM
well is there anyway that the cummins is junk with 155K on it? I know it would be rare, but what would it be...

CJM
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
well is there anyway that the cummins is junk with 155K on it? I know it would be rare, but what would it be...

Doubt it, unless they utterly abused and never serviced it.

woodsracer144
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
alright i guess we'll go look at it..

gtt416ex
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
The 12 valve cummins are as close to bullet-proof as a motor can get. They're manual fuel injection, so you don't have an electronic pump to mess up, they have tons of torque, decent hp. there's endless mods you can do to them, and at 155K the motor is just getting broke in no matter how it was treated. And for 1800 bucks that's the perfect budget build.