PDA

View Full Version : What pays your bills?

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
What do you guys do for a living? I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life but I want to get into the low 6 figure's.

What do you guys do and what about do you gross a year?

slightlybent47
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
There was a day that you stayed at a job for many years, but these days it seems if you’re not changing jobs every few years and chasing the all mighty dollar your considered old school.
When your young you tend to go through several jobs and deferent fields before you settle down and stick with one job.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
There was a day that you stayed at a job for many years, but these days it seems if you’re not changing jobs every few years and chasing the all mighty dollar your considered old school.
When your young you tend to go through several jobs and deferent fields before you settle down and stick with one job.

Well I can stay at UPS and be in the 80k range being a package car driver... Although, after being there for 2+ years I don't know if that's what I want to do the rest of my life. I'm just looking at options, seeing what other people do everyday to make a paycheck.

Quad18star
08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Trades are always in demand. Also if you get into something that deals with sustainable energy , it'll be the wave of the future.

Check and see what the main industry is around your area ... then go from there. Baby boomers are on their way out and it's opening a lot of positions .

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
08-11-2010, 12:15 AM
How exactly would I go about finding what the top industries are?

Edit- The only one I can think of off the top of my head is construction. There is always construction going on in the summer, a ridiculous amount. So much so, people tend to say that Utah has 2 seasons, Winter and Construction.

chucked
08-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I wanna make at least 10 figures a year, and not have to do anything to make it.

initall
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Enterprise IT and Services Sales

Guy400
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by chucked
I wanna make at least 10 figures a year, and not have to do anything to make it. Obama's working on that right now. Quit your job and stop paying your mortgage. The rest of us poor shmucks that go to work everyday will cover it for you.

chucked
08-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Obama's working on that right now. Quit your job and stop paying your mortgage. The rest of us poor shmucks that go to work everyday will cover it for you.

Thats too funny you say that. I just recently got a job. Unemployment pays so good I didnt want to get a job. I made $15 a week less on unemployment then I did working.

Kickstarts-suck
08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Im on unemployment right now.

Its pretty nice. I get $100 less a week then when I worked but im at least able to keep my truck and pay my bills.

Id much rather have a job though :ermm:

ZeroLogic
08-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Trades are always in demand. Also if you get into something that deals with sustainable energy , it'll be the wave of the future.

Check and see what the main industry is around your area ... then go from there. Baby boomers are on their way out and it's opening a lot of positions .

Not over here.:ermm: And them old timers and just hanging on for dear life.

I'm a carpenter for four years now and let me tell you, its not all that its cracked up to be. This job never ends.

trompen542
08-11-2010, 01:27 PM
quad race shop, build parts, dealer for pretty much anything quad related, build full race quads. not getting rich, but we are able to keep the lights on.

yellowzo3
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Not over here.:ermm: And them old timers and just hanging on for dear life.

I'm a carpenter for four years now and let me tell you, its not all that its cracked up to be. This job never ends.

I was about to post the same thing. I don't know where he got his info from but the trades are dead in the U.S. Getting into the trades now is stupid... there is no work. People are losing their homes all over the country, businesses closing down, downsizing... People can barely hold on to what they have, let alone pay for brand new houses or buildings. Guys are out of work all over the nation.

The economy hasn't improved in this country. People (news and politicians) have simply stopped talking about it because they have no way to fix it. The economy is just as bad, if not worse than it was last year.

ZeroLogic
08-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Atleast last year I had somewhat steady work. Til November. Now its hit or miss. :ermm:

Quad18star
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Different economies I guess. Up here the number of trade jobs opening up within the next 10 years is going to be insanely huge. No one wants to get their hands dirty anymore . When I was in highschool 10 years ago , all they did was push jobs that dealt with computers and business.... now we have a whole generation with computer and business degrees that are flipping burgers because there was too much of a push on the students.

If you live in a community that is based around a certain industry , and you want to stay in the community, then you look into the type of jobs available there and the different positions that they hold. I mean you aren't going to take marine biology when you live 2000 miles away from the ocean , right?

I live in a community that is centered around mining .... we have the largest number of mines concentrated in one area than anywhere else in the world... so naturally I chose a college program that is mining focused because I like the community that I live in and want to stay here. The 2 major mining companies only employ about 3000 people ... but the smaller businesses that supply the mines employ about 40 000 people in a community of 165 000. BTW ... I took Mining Engineering , and the possiblity making $100 000 + a year is not a far fetched dream....it's a reality. I have many buddies that do the grunt work in the mines , working on jacklegs , bolting screen , hauling muck ... some don't even have a college diploma ... and all made over $100 000 per year in the last 3 years.

nickm328
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I was in construction for 13yrs. as a sheetmetal man on a vinyl siding crew till the end of 2007 got laid off, construction dried up in S.La. Decided to get my inspection license through the State Fire Marshall's office now I drive around inspecting fire suppression systems and business is booming....at least for now

quadrcr161
08-11-2010, 04:29 PM
vibration analysis, its a growing field and its pretty cool to tell the engineers whats wrong with the machine while its running. we can tell where a defect is on what bearing and on what shaft in a gear box before it even gives them any trouble.

One_Bad_400
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by trompen542
quad race shop, build parts, dealer for pretty much anything quad related, build full race quads. not getting rich, but we are able to keep the lights on.

thats what i want to do.... but just being able to keep the lights on aint enough :ermm: i dont wana just get by in life.

nwi45
08-11-2010, 04:58 PM
It depends what trade you are in. Like someone said above, get into something that has to do with sustainable energy and alternative fuel sources. Electicians and pipe fitters will never go away, no matter what. Carpenters, iron workers, plumbers, etc. not so much. In those trades, the majority of your work is going to be new construction. So when the economy slows down, and new construction halts, you are screwed. Half of our work is maintence. Nuclear powerhouses, oil refineries, hospitals, schools, churches, etc. all need maintence.

I am a Local 597 Pipe Fitter and I love my job. Proud to be union. Depending on how much you want to work, you could easily make 130k in this trade.

CJM
08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
mechanic, im currently attending college to get my 4 year degree and become a cop or something better.

Dont get me wrong it is a good job, but after about 15-20 years your back, knees and everything else aches from arthritis. I only been doing it professionally for 5 years and my hands ache the worst. Worst part is all the special tools and stuff you need, the jobs arent getting any easier and usually its just a pain to do the work.

Guy400
08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.diebold.com/aboutus/default.htm

I'm the service manager for Charlotte, NC, Fayetteville, NC, Myrtle Beach, SC, Florence, SC and all areas in between. I have 30 foiks that work for me.

coryatver
08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
http://www.diebold.com/aboutus/default.htm

I'm the service manager for Charlotte, NC, Fayetteville, NC, Myrtle Beach, SC, Florence, SC and all areas in between. I have 30 foiks that work for me.

do you work on those voting machines? lol

Guy400
08-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Nope. That got sold off a while ago. The sad part is the negative press cost us more than anything. All those Youtube videos of a monkey hacking it were after bits of hardware had been removed and the software was already compromised so literally a toddler could slap the touchscreen and "hack" it but of course all these groups out there to discredit it don't tell you all that. The technology actually worked very well and was as secure as our paper ballots that we hold so dear to. The funny part was when Bush won the election the machines could be hacked. In later elections when Democrats won many of the precincts used the exact same machines and you didn't hear word one about it. But oh well, that entire business segment was less than 1% of our entire operation so I'm glad it's gone.

sykoz
08-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Different economies I guess. Up here the number of trade jobs opening up within the next 10 years is going to be insanely huge. No one wants to get their hands dirty anymore . When I was in highschool 10 years ago , all they did was push jobs that dealt with computers and business.... now we have a whole generation with computer and business degrees that are flipping burgers because there was too much of a push on the students.

If you live in a community that is based around a certain industry , and you want to stay in the community, then you look into the type of jobs available there and the different positions that they hold. I mean you aren't going to take marine biology when you live 2000 miles away from the ocean , right?

I live in a community that is centered around mining .... we have the largest number of mines concentrated in one area than anywhere else in the world... so naturally I chose a college program that is mining focused because I like the community that I live in and want to stay here. The 2 major mining companies only employ about 3000 people ... but the smaller businesses that supply the mines employ about 40 000 people in a community of 165 000. BTW ... I took Mining Engineering , and the possiblity making $100 000 + a year is not a far fetched dream....it's a reality. I have many buddies that do the grunt work in the mines , working on jacklegs , bolting screen , hauling muck ... some don't even have a college diploma ... and all made over $100 000 per year in the last 3 years.

You live in Ontario ? I've just started working in the mining industry , working in the mine doing jackleg and stuff like that. The thing is that im in Quebec so we only make about 60-80k per year. Hopefully in few years when i get more working experience ill move up somewhere else.

lasher45
08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Hopefully I can start my own business. Atv repair, engine work, porting, valving and race work. One day have a National race team. Also sell parts and stuff like that.

Of course my DREAM is to go pro and make a living off of that :devil:

I guess we'll see where that goes in a few years lol.

trailrider894
08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
currently attending college to get my 4 year degree and become a cop or something better.

Though i would be the only one. I am attending a 4yr college for the same thing. I have many ties with the MSHP and i am getting more involved. Watch out ladies and gents i will be patrolling the highways of Missouri in just 3 years with the most feared police agency in Missouri.

BTW...... we only make right around 40 to 50K a year...

CJM
08-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Though i would be the only one. I am attending a 4yr college for the same thing. I have many ties with the MSHP and i am getting more involved. Watch out ladies and gents i will be patrolling the highways of Missouri in just 3 years with the most feared police agency in Missouri.

BTW...... we only make right around 40 to 50K a year...

Cops may not make a whole lot, but the overtime, pensions and other stuff you can do is phenomenal.

Im just getting my degree in CJ, with that I can work for the govt, PD, sheriff, etc.

trailrider894
08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
With the MSHP you pay right around 10 bux a month for health insurance and retirement plans with the MSHP is O.o amazing!!

Quad18star
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by sykoz
You live in Ontario ? I've just started working in the mining industry , working in the mine doing jackleg and stuff like that. The thing is that im in Quebec so we only make about 60-80k per year. Hopefully in few years when i get more working experience ill move up somewhere else.

The mining is booming here in Northern Ontario. The gold mines in Timmins are exploding with Lakeshore Gold going into full production by the fall and now they found a new deposit and plan on opening 2 new mines within 3 years. GoldCorp also found a new deposit in Timmins. Detour Gold is in the same boat. Kirkland Lake Gold is on the up swing with plans to hire about a 1000 men .

Here in Sudbury, Vale Inco is back to full production after a year long strike , Quadra FNX is continuing to develop there properties and Xstrata just posted record profits.

If I were you, I'd be moving to Ontario. LOL

Who do you work for in Quebec? I hear the mines in Val d'Or and Rouin are going pretty good these days.

buck440
08-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Im on unemployment right now.

Its pretty nice. I get $100 less a week then when I worked but im at least able to keep my truck and pay my bills.

Id much rather have a job though :ermm:

x2 been in my underwear for a month now.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm a cook at a country club and i work on the golf course at the same country club. But I'm getting laid off the end of this month due to new management taking over. This is my last year of college and i may spend it collecting unemployment instead of working evenings and weekends. Not very happy about it.

But hopefully this time next year I will have a job as a physical therapist assistant

scuzz
08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Encryption Consultant to Fortune 500 companies and large state goverments.

sykoz
08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
The mining is booming here in Northern Ontario. The gold mines in Timmins are exploding with Lakeshore Gold going into full production by the fall and now they found a new deposit and plan on opening 2 new mines within 3 years. GoldCorp also found a new deposit in Timmins. Detour Gold is in the same boat. Kirkland Lake Gold is on the up swing with plans to hire about a 1000 men .

Here in Sudbury, Vale Inco is back to full production after a year long strike , Quadra FNX is continuing to develop there properties and Xstrata just posted record profits.

If I were you, I'd be moving to Ontario. LOL

Who do you work for in Quebec? I hear the mines in Val d'Or and Rouin are going pretty good these days.

Yeah val d'or and rouin are great unfortunatly im at 10hours from there in a small town that nobody knows , theres only 1 mine here so they got no competition Its the IAmGold Mine niobec ( producing niobium).

mxduner
08-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by buck440
x2 been in my underwear for a month now. add me to that bunch, since may 18th and they still aint determined if i am eligible :grr:

08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Clammin and soon to be oystering

99400esex
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I work in a freezer pulling orders of icecream for delivery drivers, making minimum wage, not fun. I cant wait to graduate school and get a job as an engineer. Ive been at community college for awhile and I plan on transferring to take up a 2 year mechanical engineer program, then later on go back and go for the 4 year electrical mechanical program. School sucks though.

01 400EXer
08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I am 35 and have been a loan officer for the same company for 10 years. Keep in mind that I am not a comissioned loan officer, but a salaried loan officer. The company I work for specializes in rural, agriculture and farm properties and business is very strong for us. I am very happy with my job and the flexibility I have and I really enjoy what I do. I have worked hard and have worked my up from a newbie loan officer to a respected loan officer with my co-workers as well as the community. I get paid well and have great benefits and will actully get a pension when I am up for retirement at the age of 55. Not sure if I will retire at that age but it is something to look forward to. I also think there will be room for advancement to senior management when I am ready but for now I am very happy with what I do. Also where I work the turnover rate is a very low percentage and the ones in senior management at this time have been with the company for many years and will be retiring when I am ready to try something new.

mxduner
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I am all but done with my degree in hvac tech. Would like to be a service tech. but all the companys do not like my driving record, so that will limit me to building maintenance, in house appliance repair, or a boiler engineer.

Currently i'm unemployed, and about ready to blow this pop stand and go where there is work. been considering leaving out of state, something i never thought i would ever do, but that is life, and we do change. Even considered enlisting but i have certain limits as i am 33 yrs. old.

good to hear above positive stories.

CHAR250R
08-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Helicopter mechanic pays the house bills, and I'm also a plumber. All toy bills are covered by my plumbing work. Life is good!

RedSonya
08-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Government exec, but I'm planning on retiring in 2 years and will be starting up my own law practice. I also work as a makeup artist in my spare time...but only in the winter!

Moto49X
08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Landscape business owner. Economy is taking away work, Obama is taking more taxes.

Will be on the railroad by Chirstmas time or so, track laborer while in training for a Conductors license if all goes as planned.

Brauap
08-27-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=419469

Right now, I am pony rides & petting zoo's with bailing hay/straw on the side! :devil:

Not great.. but for the Pony Riders and Petting Zoo I get payed $10 p/h and for festivals I get 10% of the profit so for 4 days I usually get about 130+ dollars (thats from working 4PM-11PM) and with bailing hay (for the same person) I also get payed $10 p/h and it is all under the table so its nice for my age I think!

mikeB
08-29-2010, 03:22 PM
got out of a tech school with the HVAC trade, working 40hours plus each week.

at 18 years old bein able to pay for both car, truck, and boat i just got, im not doin too bad

Honda400exrox
08-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
thats what i want to do.... but just being able to keep the lights on aint enough :ermm: i dont wana just get by in life.

you gotta earn that bud lol

CJM
08-29-2010, 04:24 PM
For the benefit of those who just have jobs, are still in school or are undecided:

In order to have nice things you gotta work hard, this means overtime, extra days, not taking days off/vacations, etc. I did it for some time and was making out like a bandit-but I realized a degree isworth its weight in gold. Right now I have my AA and could get hired for numerous jobs-but if I keep my current job even tho it only pays so so-I get grants from the govt and state towards my 4 year degree-which means it will cost me much less.

Yea, a real job would pay the bills better and I could buy all the junk I want-but the educations more important imho.

ohsobad_chevy
08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
A lot of hard *** work pays the bills and the fun tab.

01 250exman
08-29-2010, 11:19 PM
commercial go kart mechanic going to school for radiologic technology :D

honda250xman
08-30-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm an Analytical Scientist, testing coal for all it's worth lol. Those who said to go with energy sources, go with it because that's where its at! Also, get your degree. A 4 year degree is almost like a high school diploma was 10-20 years ago. It's customary now to have a 4 year degree. That's what I got and I was able to get this job right out of school so I'm happy with that. It pays good money, especially for a first real job and in a company that isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Guy400, i just moved to Huntersville, NC which you know is obviously right below Mooresville. What goes on down here? I'm originally from Asheville, but moved for this job so I'm super new down here lol

honda250xman
08-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Oh, and do something that make you happy. All the money is nothing if you aren't happy doing what you are doing. Find something that interests you and go for it. Don't let anything hold you back from doing it big!

yfzrider310
08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
ace hardware :D 400-500 bucks every 2 weeks isn't bad!

KXRida
08-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Trauma nurse at the local hospital. Pays the bills rather well for now but already looking back into going to school or seeing if I could work a deal for the coast guard to train me to be a flight nurse. I'd love to do that and not have to pay for it.

finsteratv
08-31-2010, 12:46 AM
any loggers on here? what do you guys make normally

Lasher
08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Software developer. Been doing that for just under 20 years.

Two opinions from reading the posts...

1) If you have a job that you love doing...it is no longer a job.

2) Nothing in life is free...I work for a great company, get paid well BECAUSE I put in the extra effort. Heck, I lost count of the number of nights I worked all night and the following day...and I don't get paid overtime.

"Fun Tab"...I liked that one.

wolfrpi
09-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Patent attorney for the last 10 years. If you want to do something that keeps your brain busy and pays well, I would recommend it. Like anything else in life, with a job, the more you work at it, the better you will become (and the more you will earn). Also, as someone here said, do what you love. Good luck.