PDA

View Full Version : 250 vs 450 handling

hartwill
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
ok there is Probly a lot of variables here but what handles better standard length a arms or +2s? I'm mainly talking about steering but I have standard a arms and my friend had +2 and his turned way better he said mine should turn better than his so he said it was due to his 450r hubs and spindle set up. what do you guys think? his is also 89 and mine is 86.

honda250xrider
08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Just to give you some variables
Rim offset
tierods
shocks
tires
steering stabilizer

With all variables the same, I would give the +2 a-arms the edge. Because of the stability you gain from the added width.

hartwill
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
well he has laeger +2s with elka triple rates and hyper 4/1 offset wheels so he was only +2 overall. I had stock length leagers works triple rates and stock wheels. he also has gncc tires and I have some kind of dunlops and I'm not 100% my camber and alignment was exactly right but it was close. I just bought +2 arms and I am debating weather or not I really want 450 r front setup.

troybilt
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Other variables:

Camber
Caster
Toe-in & Out

No way of knowing without knowing all of the specifics of setup. I could set your's up to turn on a dime, but it will be twitchy and unpredictable at speed.

Also what do you constitute as "better" turning? Need your perceived definition of turning.

hartwill
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM
well I guess I want it to turn on a dime. we have some tight turns in some of our trails and he would turn right into them no problem and so could I on his bike. but mine I would need to get off pull it back and then proceed. its just a pain in the *ss. or if someone knows of a great step by step process for adjusting camber toe and alignment maybe that would be enough.

troybilt
08-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Here's a good place to start:

http://www.houser-racing.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=Store_Install_Guides.htm

down at the bottom is the guides for camber, toe in, caster... etc... good luck. If you have problems setting it up let us know.

hartwill
08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
cool thanks. and you guys don't think the 450 setup is worth it?

skyeryder
08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
cool thanks. and you guys don't think the 450 setup is worth it?

I have the 450r set-up on 2 of my R's I haven't noticed a difference is handling, I did notice a difference when I had the 2007 spindles not good, In another post about this same subject I think everyone agreed that about the only thing you gain is newer calipers and pads that more dealer are more than likely to keep in stock.

atvmxr
08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
so the problem is that he can make tight turns and you cant? you have to make 2 attempts to turn...

you said you could make the turn on his quad, so I guess that rules out rider training...

are his steering stems cut down? can he turn the bars farther than you can on yours?

the other thing is yours is an 86 which has a longer swingarm and little wider turning radius, but I havent seen that make much difference in the woods...

hartwill
08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
no actually he has a plus 1 stem mine is stock we both have 32" flexx bars and he has a +1 swing ARM. aren't 88 and 89 a arms 1" forward from 86/87 or am I wrong I can't remember. but any ways they were night and day difference between the two. I couldn't believe it. but like I said maybe my front end was setup wrong it was my first time doing it.

woodsracer144
08-12-2010, 09:36 AM
i dont think the the +2 or std length a-arms have anything to do with it cause i've rode many stock based woods 250rs that turn on a dime, i've also rode many mx quads that do this (mine one of them) at the same time theres alot of them that dont turn at all. I think the easiest way to fix this problem is grind the stem, that was the first think i did with any quad i ever owned and my buddys did the same.

hawaiianbasshed
08-12-2010, 11:47 PM
grind the stem? where do you grind it? I never looked to find anything binding/physically stopping me front turning further :confused:

get good tires that don't tear down and slide it thru the turns :devil: I have mudlites on my raptor which is setup for rugged trails... I run 22"s front and back for clearance. will probably do 23"s front next run :D but I set mine kind of backwards I set it up for as little toe as possible made the front distance and rear distance between front tires as close as I could to the same. I mostly did this for high speeds on the street I hear it helps...

not sure how it affected my turning radius but maybe our trails aren't as tight as yours...

woodsracer144
08-12-2010, 11:59 PM
you grind metal off of the bump stops on the stem or you could do it to the chassis i guess as well