PDA

View Full Version : 2-fast 2-much?

mydirtkids
08-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Interested in opinions here. Anyone running the 2-fast stuff? How do you like it overall, and is it really worth the $$.

The bike I am interested in upgrading is a new 90 DRR. PCS Pipe, haggerty intake, Stock ignition and variator, stage 6 clutch. No porting or anything as of now. Pretty happy with the power but, like any gear-head always want more!

Do you NEED the rediculous $750 pipe for the kit on top of the $1500+ for the top end and crank? Probably would need a PVL and overange kit too huh?

What is the advantage of running 70 cases vs 90 cases?

Were somewhere around:
$1500 Kit
$ 750 Pipe
$ 250 70cc cases
$ 150 ceramic bearings/seals
$ 500 PVL
$ 450 Overrange

$3,600 give or take not icluding any machine work on the cases... And hope the PWK 28 carb and stuff will agree with it.

I figure @ $400/HP? Good grief!!! This is a mini, not a Corvette!! I better get a hot dog and a Hummer with this purchase! Actually, that will never happen again if the wife finds the invoice! :devil:

??? I am in the wrong business!!!!
Is the gain REALLY worth that much? I can get a new Pitster for that kind of money...

Thanks for any thoughts!

FISH ON!
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
It all depends on what you are running against and how bad you want to win............ We haven't made that leap yet because we run GNCC XC and most folks haven't made that investment. Reliability is more the key on a one hour full throttle mud bog beating. We're going to try MX Nat's for the first time this weekend and see how bad those boys beat our GNCC FRC cylinder motor.

IMO........... if the price is a big concern, then you should keep the marriage healthy and probably not spend the bucks because the bucks don't stop there. The more RPMs your turning, the higher the maintenance $$$$.

Good Luck.

greenmachine70
08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
It is unbeleivable how fast an 86cc motor can be is all I can say. I dont believe any normal motor will ever beat one of these. I also have noticed they seem reliable if you can keep the clutch system in check. They run in our mod class and the fastest riders are on them, however there is a 118cc Billy holt motor out there that has a very experienced girl on it and she gives them fits.

TTracer#22
08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I have one of both the 118cc Billy Holt motor and 2fast we run the 2fast very hard for 45min to an hour and have had no problems what so ever the 118cc is forsale if someone is interested ill make someone a good deal
your more than welcome to cal Billy and ask him about this motor.

Logan #34's Dad
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
It all depends on the level of competition your running against. If your winning then save the money. If you get beat (due to motor) then its time to upgrade. HOWEVER - Your gonna do it eventually so buy one piece now, another later - in other words, over time cause it does not hurt so bad.
The 2fast is the real deal. The Malossi Big bore is good as well. If your rider is smooth and will not use the RPM's then the Big Bore is for you. 2fast is about rpm's. The Hetrick 90 pipe works well with both cylinders and is not $750.00.
Truely - It will be cheaper for you to just buy an already built quad. There are a couple for sale now that cost nearly $10,000 or more to build you could get for around $5000.00. Our loss is your gain. SUCKS!

mydirtkids
08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I think we are leaning towards the Malossi. Not ready to tear down a motor every few races. We are doing well as it is! Just won our first race, and was in first on the second race till we lost a chain. Not bad for our first season! The local series we are in has some mean traffic out on the track. Big $$ bikes and experienced riders.

He has really come a long way real quick. We invested in all JB/Fox suspension. Just have not done much with the motor. He is getting to the point where we think he will use more power.

Going to Nationals in a couple weeks, and pretty sure the competition will be tough! Problem is, I hate to make many big changes without any seat time first (Just turned 8 and only been riding a couple months). This will obviously be our first national event, and we are looking at it for the experience more than anything...

At this point, I think we are going to go ahead and do the PVL and overange kit. That will leave us some more time to research and make a better decision based on our application. Either way, both kits need the mods, and it should improve the performance on what we have.

Anyone have any problems with used PVL stuff? I guess if anything, we can use it on our practice bike...

BTW....Got about $12,000 in it so far. Stuff really adds up fast. Hind sight, would have bought one used.. but this would not be my most expensive learning curve by any means...still hurts though!!

Thanks everyone for the response!

bulldogfallon
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
2Fast and Malossi Big Bore have raised the bar...

The choice really is.. join them or follow them...

Used electronics is always a flip of a coin....never now what or when it is going to give....but it could be great deal if it lasts and the price is right.

Our 2Fast rider does use the 2Fast Pipe and we have tried most of the others ....I believe it provides a good overall power, but other popular pipes have either provided better bottom or more top rpm.

Our FL track is not really long so it works best for us, but the Trackside or Hetrick Gen III are good chocies as well (depending upon need)

marsrace2
08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
it is well worth it and very reliable, only had ours apart for rings once this year. Yes you will need the over range kit with this setup, and would also suggest the stage 6 ignition. You can run the 28mm carb but I would upgrade tp the 30. We have run the Hetrick Gen3 Pipe and the Trackside on ours. They both work great and are alot less than $750.00

quad59
08-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Be carefull on whos quad you buy used, sometimes there is more JB weld on the motor than there is casting!!!:rolleyes:

mydirtkids
08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, for the race bike I have bought about everything new. Never sure about what you get. Been there done that. Not saying that they are all a bad investment, but it does not take long to wear these things out.