PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for my area?

SmiterAlex
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey, I'm in need of changing oil and this seemed like the place to ask what the best oil for my area is. I live in South-Western washington. The temperature never gets above 100 and it's usually never below 50. We go to the dunes quite a bit. I want affordable oil not to spendy. I saw that some people use Generic SAE 10W-30. would that be okay? I already have some of that so it would be easier to just use that if it would work. Thanks for the help beforehand :D

mikecancu812
08-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I like to run Amsoil in mine. Alot of people use Rotella oil found at Walmart. Never tried it but I'm sure you'd want to change it a little more often. Not sure what kind. Do a search cause some of it will hurt your clutch

Z15
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I saw that some people use Generic SAE 10W-30. would that be okay?

Many generic and private label oils are not what to claim to be. They prey on people wanting cheap and they give them cheap. Stick with a quality name brand so you are sure of getting what you are supposed to get.

Recent headlines from a oil trade magazine

Motor Oil Buyers, Beware
By Nancy DeMarco

U.S. motor oil watchdog Petroleum Quality Institute of America has posted the sad results of its latest tests: four of six private-label oils failed to meet their labeled specs.

PQIA purchased randomly selected samples of six private-label brands of engine oil in South Atlantic states in June, and sent samples to an independent laboratory for testing. PQIA President Tom Glenn acknowledged that he was surprised by the poor results.