PDA

View Full Version : Help (Please) with New (Used) 400ex

00426ex
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I purchased a 2000 Honda 400ex from one of my dad's friends. We (and they) had no idea what it had done, other than the LRD Exhaust on it. The owner I bought it from only had 6 months. I got it at a steal of $1000, partly because I don't think they knew what it had in it =) I'm not sure if they know who the previous owner(s?) were but I know I do not. I knew from when I purchased it that it burned a lot of oil and needed a little bit of work. We suspected it was the rings. It burned a whole tank of oil in the same time it burned a tank of gas =) My dad has grown up around engines and knows a ton about them. We decided to get a manual and take it apart to figure out what is wrong with it. The engine was somewhat dirty on the outside, but for being 10 years old, it is pretty clean, almost spotless on the inside. The previous owner had a bunch of stickers on the side. We thought they had it on because they thought it looked cool, but we had suspicion to whether the engine actually had work done. Upon taking it apart, my dad could tell it had been taken apart before. The first thing we saw was a Stage 2 Hotcam. We were very excited because we pretty much knew it had everything else too. We excitedly took the rest of it apart, and got down to the piston. My dad could tell that the piston was definitely aftermarket because it was a dome piston for high compression. We cleaned off the caked on (carbon?) and looked it up. It is a 88m (426cc) 11:1 Wiseco piston. The piston, cylinder, and rings looked literally brand new. Upon further inspection, we noticed that the head had been ported. Everything was looking good and farther than what we or the previous owner though had in it.Our next guess to the oil burning was the valve seals. My dad got a valve compressor and took it apart. The seals were bad and 1 was even broken in half. We called around and after a few phone calls, one place thought they had the gasket kit we needed (since the valve seals are in the kit). We drove almost 2 hours to find in dismay that it was for a standard bore. We ordered the big bore gasket kit which will be in tomorrow, Tuesday. In the mean time, I have been cleaning everything and painting a couple things =) After I get it back together I will take a couple pics for you guys =) Being that it has all the upgrades, We suspect that the bike has also been jetted. I know it has the stock carburetor but I can not tell if it has aftermarket jets in it. I'm sure if we looked we could find out if it did. I figure, heck, since they aren't that expensive, I'll just go ahead and get new jets while I'm at it. I came here to see if you guys had any suggestions for what sizes to get. I honestly am very confused with the whole carb and jet thing, but I know some people on here aren't =) If it helps any, my current elevation is approximately 1400 feet. I am in Western Maryland. I I have been looking around this forum for a few days dreaming about new mods and parts. *Sigh* If only my 16 year old wallet was bigger =/ Anyways, I know you guys are very knowledgeable and appreciate all the help and advice you guys can offer. I am looking forward to joining this great community =) And this is my first quad btw =)

P.S. Sorry for all the writing. Trying to be as descriptive as I can for you guys. I know you guys like detail, I guess I'll find out if you like this much =)

00426ex
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Thank you and it makes me mad when other people can't talk right either =) I have tried searching and reading up many things. I was wondering if someone could tell me what jets to use for my specific set up (426cc, Stage 2 Hotcam, ported and polished, LRD Pipe, Uni High Flo Air filter etc). I know there are some people out there who could tell me exactly what jets to put in for this, and those are the people my question is focused more towards. Thanks for the warm welcome though =)

guenther
08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Each bike reacts a little different to the mods but someone with a similar setup should be able to give you some insight. Since the motor is probably apart at the moment I would check to see what jets you have in it currently. Post back the numbers that are etched in the sides of the jets.

00426ex
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Unless you can quickly tell me how, give me a few minutes to look it up and I'll tell you what I find.

08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
it also depends on where you live for your jetting. and if you read there lol sig. you mite find what your looking for.

guenther
08-09-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/pilotjet.html

The main is right next to the pilot in the picture.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/index.html

00426ex
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I followed the manual and it was relatively simple. It is a 38 on the slow jet and a 162 on the main jet.

00426ex
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Another question I have is if I upgrade the jets, considering the other upgrade as well, should I run 93 pump fuel or get race fuel?

eotrx400ex
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
welcome!as guenther explained every machine reacts different even if elevation is the same.really the only way you will figure out the correct jetting for yours is research more on what to listen for and pay attention to how your machine is acting while riding it(sluggish,hesitation,etc.) and just as important, when it happens...1/4 throttle,1/2 and 3/4. and 92-93 pump would work good. thats what i use:D

00426ex
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Ok. I have been looking up a lot more, and now that I have taken the carb apart, I actually understand what is going on. I think that I will try a 44 pilot jet and I will pick up a whole bunch of main jets to try. Thanks for the recommendations and welcoming me into the community. I will let you guys know how everything goes after I get it working in a couple more days. Can't wait =)

eotrx400ex
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
might be good idea to get a 42 pilot as well.. your local dealer will probably do some swapping between the jets you need and don't

00426ex
08-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, the thing is, the dealer I am going to is almost 2 hours away. I can ask them for suggestions which I am sure they can provide. The other thing is that my atv is torn apart because I need to get a new gasket kit, hence why I am going tomorrow to the dealer. I figure while I'm there, I might as well pick up a couple jets to make sure it is getting the correct fuel. The bike sputters in low gear going down hills and is a ***** to start up. I am thinking these 2 things is because it has a stock pilot jet. I will get a 42 if they really think it, but with my upgrades I am thinking it will need more like a 44. I guess we will see tomorrow. It has a 162 main jet, but I might as well pick up a couple there to check if it is right. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you guys informed of whats going on.

eotrx400ex
08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
ya..little advice don't take what some one tells your jetting is going to be has "that's what its going to be" i don't care if its the dealer or the "best" in the biz. your right there only suggestions. the ONLY way you will find the correct jetting that you need is to get it together and ride it, make an adjustment and then ride it again..
the pilot and A/F screw controls idle-1/4 throttle. needle position 1/4-3/4 throttle and the main jet is 3/4- W.O.T
you might be ok with a 44 pilot but you cant think "with my upgrades". as ericcrip pointed out...read peoples sig. you might be shocked at the wide verity of settings that works in others machine. like i mention before what the machine is doing and WHEN are important so you know WHAT needs changed. handful of main jets and a 44 pilot might not be the fix.so be prepared.plus the ex from day one has ALWAYS been a ***** to start with the stock 38 pilot. i removed my choke and put a 42 an that's all that was needed :D

00426ex
08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. When I was having difficulty starting it, which earlier could uqve been from several reasons, i noticed the choke didn't help any. When we took the carb apart, we discovered that the choke was broke and didn't work at all. The new spark plug, seals, gaskets, jets, and major clean up should help it start fine =) I hope that I don't have to try too many jets =/ Thanks for all your advidlce guys and tomorrow I'll let you know what going on...maybe with a couple pics =)

eotrx400ex
08-09-2010, 09:40 PM
removing the choke is a popular mod..gave mine little more torque and started GREAT even with out it..help from the 42 pilot.one squeeze of the throttle, push the button and contact! haha. but if you want a REDICULOUS difference with thottle responce...FCR carb!:macho HUGE DIFFERENCE

JOHNDOE83
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
check this out for jetting also.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=441780&highlight=plug

00426ex
08-10-2010, 07:22 AM
JOHNDOE83, the thread you gave me was the one I have been looking at for pretty much all my information. Thank you for writing on this confusing topic and clearing it up for us "noobs" =) I compliment you on your well-written topic =)

HondaRacing83
08-10-2010, 08:21 AM
1st.welcome to the forum 2.Congrats on the great find 3.congrats on your first quad!
4.400ex will always be a ***** to start-there just naturally cold blooded engines

honda400ex2003
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
my predicted jet specs...

182 main, 42 pilot, needle 3rd notch, 2.5 turns out on the f/a. just my initial guess though. good luck with it
:chinese: steve

00426ex
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
honda400ex2003, thank you very much for your input. This was the kind of response I was looking for =) I will take your guess into consideration and grab a few jets today while I'm at the dealer (2 hours away) getting my gasket kit. I'll see where these jets take me, then hopefully I can go from there with a local store. The place 2 hours away is an authorized Honda dealer, but there is a local shop that sells Suzuki and Yamaha but I think they should be able to get the jets. I'll let you guys know how its going. Leaving soon for a doc's appointment then on to the deal =)

honda400ex2003
08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
yammi jets will work also if you have one of those closer. just take your stocker with you and you can match them. a series 26 pilot will work also :D that is what i have in my machine :( lol steve

00426ex
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Can someone please explain what it means when people say "needle 3rd notch, 2.5 turns out on the f/a." I got the 182 and the 42, but I am a little confused on the other stuff. Immediate help is needed if you know.

eotrx400ex
08-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by 00426ex
Can someone please explain what it means when people say "needle 3rd notch, 2.5 turns out on the f/a." I got the 182 and the 42, but I am a little confused on the other stuff. Immediate help is needed if you know. remember back a few i mention needle position and it effects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle..thats what i was talking about. remove the 3 screws that hold on that plate on top and look down inside you'll see the top of the needle..3rd notch refers to the E-clip on the top of that needle there are 5 notches it can go in...the A/F refers to air fuel mixture screw and effects more idle-1/4 throttle and is use for fine tuning in conjunction with the pilot jet..

eotrx400ex
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
top of the page where it shows HOME[FORUMS[ARTICLES....go to ARTICLES an Read "carb jetting" its the 12th one down

honda400ex2003
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
did you get it all handled? steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah. The manual says the stock is 3rd clip, so I didn't even mess with it. The 2.5 turns out I am still a bit confused about, but I think it will be ok if I just leave that alone cause I don't race, just casual riding. Today when my dad gets home we will be putting it back together. Expect a couple pictures if I can get my brother to let me use his camera =) This thing is gonna scoot now. Can't wait to finally open it up =)

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 02:21 PM
sounds good. teh fuel/air screw is located in front of the bowl and would be turned 2.25 turns out from lightly seated from the factory. you should probably be fine with what you are at now though. if you have a bit of a pop when you let off the gas go out a bit further. also if you have an 05+ you wont be able to turn it anyway lol it needs a D style tool to turn. but you could probably get it turned it would just take a while to do. steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Everything is up and running smooth. We don't think it burns oil any more, but it does burn a lot of fuel ( lots of whitish snoke) if you rev it high or really fast. Any clue on how to fix it?

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 05:43 PM
most likely it is moisture in the pipe and will go away after a good ride imo. usually white is antifreeze or moisture only not gas. if not then you should check your jets. if it runs good then you can warm it up, change the plug and do a couple of plug chops to it and see how it does. I would say you should be good to go though if there is no popping or sputtering. sounds like the recommendation came out alright then? steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Other than it puffing out white smoke when I let off the gas, it runs good. I have another question though. Could it be burning more fuel because the valves need adjusted?

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
i would say not that much more imo. i would take it for a ride for a while and see how it does. did you get a new plug and put it in? it could be possible that you are still a bit on the lean side which could make it puff out a bit. i would say that you arent too bad though. it is hard to say without actually looking at it and riding it around. if you have a 160 you could try that and see if it goes away but i still think that it is moisture. did you wash it recently and let it sit outside for a while? it may be either of them though. steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 08:01 PM
it has a brand new our of the package NGK spark plug. Because it hasn't been running in a couple days (due to rebuild) and new parts, the smoke may be from various other reasons. I'll give it a couple days, if it doesn't lighten up, ill change it back to the 162.

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
whoop my bad go with a 184 if you have one not the 162. missed the right keys lol. steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
So you are saying that my machine is running too rich (puffing out a lot of smoke that smells like gas when I let off the throttle when I rev it high) so make the main jet bigger? I have a 182/42 in there right now. So far, starts up fine, runs excellent, just smokes a little when you get horsing on it and then let off.

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
wait, it smells like gas but is white? that doesnt add up. if it is white, it is either moisture or too lean. if it smells like gas then it is probably too rich. have you looked at your plug yet and done any plug chops? that is the next step. either way could work with the main. going smaller to a 180 will lean it out, 184 will richen it up. steve

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
start with a new plug after your machine is warmed up. there are also a couple more threads around that do a good job of reading plugs and stuff. just do some searching in the articles part on the top of the page under the site title. steve
plug chopping
the plug chop is an essential step in setting up jetting. not only does it help you get good performance, but more importantly, it helps you make sure yr bike is not running so lean that it will blow up!

1. wind it out! . warm the bike up well (5-10 min) with a new or fairly clean plug, correctly gapped, then wind the bike out in a gear. generally, i like to do this in 3d, but it depends how fast yr bike goes in each gear and where y'r doing this test (trying to run a bike out in 4th is not advisable in, say, a school zone). at least get into 2d.

2. hold it there ... even though you will be nervous, hold it in gear at max rpm for a while... what you are trying to do here is simulate the hardest use the bike will ever conceivably see. if you jet for the most stressful conditions, then yr normal use will be well within safe margins. keep yr hand on the clutch, as you could (doubt it, though) seize if you are jetted too lean to begin with. as always, use yr own judgment!

3. kill it. simultaneously hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch. hitting the kill stops the plug sparking; pulling the clutch stops the clutch from turning the engine over (bringing in more unburnt fuel). thus, you get a perfect picture of what the sparkplug looks like at the moment you hit the kill switch.

4. pull over, pull the plug out you will want to have gloves or a set of pliers, cause the plug will be fking hot!!!

5. read the plug. if the plug is:

black and wet: yr jetting is too rich

chocolate brown: yr jetting is right on! you kick ***!

white and burnt smelling: yr jetting is too lean! upjet now . you might also notice a blistered insulator. this is real bad. you are lucky you haven't hurt yr bike worse!

steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
I may be confused with the proper terms here =/ Lean and rich. I think (although I am not sure) that it is burning too much fuel. Before the rebuild, it was using a 162/38. The choke was disengaged (won't work) and it was a ***** to start. The engine had a broken valve seal so it was burning oil. I don't know, but I don't think, it was burning too much fuel. While I had it apart, I went ahead and changed the jets. I guess the only thing I can do know is run it for a couple days and then report back if it is still smoking after letting off a hard throttle (I think it is just burning too much gas). But if anyone knows whats going on or has reccokendations please feel free to let me know and thanks =)

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
go to a 180 main and see how it does. test your plugs and see how it looks. steve

00426ex
08-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Is there any other way than testing the plugs? I am a little tight on money (even though they are cheap) I am 16 with no income. Money is hard to come by =/ I looked around and another person with a 440ex had the same problem. Maybe the valve seals aren't settled in yet. The rings looked brand new and we just replaces gaskets, valve seals, and cleaned every single thing off. I may keep ridin it tomorrow, then later, change it back to the 162 and see what it does.

honda400ex2003
08-12-2010, 08:05 AM
take it for a ride and see. you have to use a new plug though to do it. I would suggest reading some of the jetting threads and such to learn about what each part of jets do and how they affect each other. steve

00426ex
08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
If I only do one jet plug will I be able to be done from there? If I only do one, i think I can spare $3

honda400ex2003
08-12-2010, 08:59 AM
it depends on how it runs. I cant tell you for sure. no one can tell you for sure. each one is different with different temps, elev., mods and such. I just took a guess at what it should be close to when giving you a starting point. you have to do some testing to see how it is and then go from there. i would suggest getting 5-6 jets ranging from 190-165 and you would be fine for the 20 bucks it is still cheaper than a kit and you could have some more if you want to do something else to it. if you didnt bore it out or anything then keep going down. I was under the impression that you did a complete 426 rebuild not just valve seals. you may be closer to what you were at. Maybe i missed it earlier or something but i was making my assumption on that it was a new bore with all of the stuff listed as mods in the first post. you will have to at least get a few plugs and see how it looks. i anything since you have a newer one in it already, take it for a ride for 20 minutes or so and then take it out and look at it. that will at least give you some heads up on it. you will have to shell out some money to get it done right, it just comes with the territory. 50 bucks is a drop in the bucket on a 1500 dollar 400ex. the rebuild that is in it right now was at least 600 alone with ebay prices so you got a good deal on it. if your plug is black you are too rich, silver too lean. check it out and then report back. for all i know, it could need the needle raised, a smaller pilot, and a smaller main to get it close depending on how it it set up. steve

00426ex
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Whenever I get the chance, I'll pick up a few plugs and test it. Right now I'm having trouble with the oil filter cover screw (snapped off inside) so when I get everything working right I'll do some finer tuning. Thanks for the help and hope I get it running soon =)

honda400ex2003
08-12-2010, 01:53 PM
you can also do this test. you can take your lid off and see how it runs. if it runs better you are too rich, if worse lean and leaner. this will give you a bit of a direction. if you are rich and it starts to run better with it off you could just leave it :D cheers to another mod. steve

00426ex
08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I was coming down a hill in 3rd. It was holding itself back so I wasn't revving on it. My family members who were watching said that a decent amount of blue smoke was coming out the back. My dad took it for a spin and I watched. When letting off the throttle or when it holds itself back, it puffs out white, not blue, smoke. I redid the jets, but may have went too big. Could it running rich cause this excess smoke coming out of the exhaust?

00426ex
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Help please =)

00426ex
08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Anyone?

slightlybent47
08-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Unburned fuel will be black, oil will be blue or white.

00426ex
08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Why would it be burning oil though? The smoke smells exactly like fuel. The oil smells somewhat like gas. It only smokes when you let off throttle or it is holding itself back. Just replaced gaskets, valve seals, the piston, cylinder, and rings looked brand new. Just changed the oil and oil filter today. This case is odd and I can't find much so can someone help me so I don't damage something? All help is appreciated =)

guenther
08-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Well put the old jet back in and try to eliminate it being too much fuel then.

00426ex
08-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I think tomorrow I'm gonna take out the spark plug and check it and change the main jet back to what it was. If it eliminates it, everything will be going fine and I'll be running soon =)

bryan.young1
08-12-2010, 11:27 PM
this brings back memories lol. i feel your pain 00426EX i went through all of this with my X and EX when i had them years ago once you do it once though and get the jetting rite it will become second nature. and then each time you change something on the bike you will get the feel for when you need to go up or down a notch/jet. also I found that in the beginning making big changes one way or the other helped me understand how my throttle, and engine response would be effected. now im going to be picking up my first EFI bike and im going to be learning all over again. Anyway good luck and welcome to the club:)

00426ex
08-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks =) Hope I get the feel for it soon =) I want this bike running so I can go to my cousins and ride with them

honda400ex2003
08-13-2010, 09:52 AM
did you get your botl out? Did you try any of the other stuff to see how it was jetted too? lets see a couple of pics of your machine too dude lol. :D :D :D :devil: steve

00426ex
08-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Need to get s reverse drill bit first then l get it out. If me and my dad take it apart today, we will check the spark plug and probably change the main jet back. If I can get my brothers camera i get some pics =) Mine is broken =/

00426ex
08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Ok guys, help me with this one. I took the jet out and it was black on the end. The whole end was black. We thought it was to rich. We changed the 182 main back to the 162 main it had before. With the 182 it puffed out white smoke when letting off the throttle or when it was holding itself back going down a hill. With the 162 in it it is constantly smoking. During idle and everything it is puffing out white smoke. Any advice on what it is? We changed the valve seals. The only other thing we can think is that it could be the rings but when we had it apart we looked at the rings and they looked brand spankin new! All help is appreciated so I can get this atv running =)

goldfish
08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
unrelated, but where are you in MD?

00426ex
08-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Western Maryland =)

tri5ron
08-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 00426ex
Ok guys, help me with this one. During idle and everything it is puffing out white smoke. Any advice on what it is? We changed the valve seals. The only other thing we can think is that it could be the rings but when we had it apart we looked at the rings and they looked brand spankin new! All help is appreciated so I can get this atv running =)

Are you saying that you had the piston and rings out of the cylinder, and then put the same rings back into the cylinder ?

did you hone the cylinder?

00426ex
08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
We have it back apart and are getting new rings. We can tell that there is slight marks this time from bad rings (I think). We will get the rings tomorrow and get it running. The larger jet will be put back in. Hopefully, no more added complications this time and I may have pics tomorrow if we get it together before dark =)

tri5ron
08-13-2010, 06:01 PM
You should measure the barrel, (cylinder), to be sure that it is straight and true,(meaning NOT shaped like a wine barrel), then hone it first, before installing the new rings. This is so the rings will seat properly.

guenther
08-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
You should measure the barrel, (cylinder), to be sure that it is straight and true,(meaning NOT shaped like a wine barrel), then hone it first, before installing the new rings. This is so the rings will seat properly.

x2. Do it the right way once and save yourself a lot of headaches.

00426ex
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah. I will do it the right way. Other than getting a flex hone is there any other way? I don't see the point of spending $50-60 when I only need it 1 time...

tri5ron
08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
if you don't want to buy one, alot of auto parts stores will rent them for very cheap.

eotrx400ex
08-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
take it for a ride and see. you have to use a new plug though to do it. I would suggest reading some of the jetting threads and such to learn about what each part of jets do and how they affect each other. steve ya pretty sure i suggested this in the beginning:D and after that...trial and error

00426ex
08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
YES!!! FINALLY! I think everything is good now =) Today I went to over the the local atv shop, which is only 10 minutes away. They only sell Yamaha and Suzuki though.... Anyways, they happened to have 88mm piston rings. I snatched them up and had them go ahead and cross-hatch the cylinder. They had to charge me $12.50 (minimum shop charge). Still cheaper than $80 for one though =) Got home and my dad helped me put in the rings. Put it all back together. Started it up and....NO SMOKE!!! I was soo happy not to see smoke. I put the 182 jet back in and rode it for a while to get the rings seated well. Everything works good now and tomorrow I'll be going to my cousins house to ride his track and trails. =) If I can get my brother's camera I'll get some pictures for you guys =)

honda400ex2003
08-14-2010, 07:44 PM
congrats. glad it all came out good for you and it runs good. did you do anything with your plug to see how it looked? :D steve

00426ex
08-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Not yet. Now that it runs I will be putting my money towards a proper setup for it. The first thing I'll be doing is testing to see if it is jetted right. The plug has oil on it from before changing the rings so I can't check with this one. With the oil it probably isn't working as perfect as it should but it works very good for right now. Gonna sell something and my profits will be going towards my baby now =) I just need to learn how to ride it good now :p

00426ex
08-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Well guys, bad news. I went to my cousins house and it ran great =) They had a friend over (who happened to be a mechanic at a local Honda dealership =) My cousin's chain needed tightened as well as mine, so he got his tightened then I rolled mine over. As we were getting it setup, someone noticed that the back right wheel wobbled A LOT from left to right and back and forth. We took it over to the mechanic and he said that the axle bearings were bad. Well, I guess I must just have bad luck =) While he was there inspecting stuff, he noticed how bad my sprockets were. The front one, which I think has 14 teeth, was missing or really worn down (to the point of not being able to be used) about 6 teeth. The rear sprocket also didn't look very good. Yay =) So now I am going to sell a knife on Ebay and then use that money to get an axle bearing set and a front and rear sprocket as well as a new chain. I have been reading a good bit on sprockets, but everyone seems to have a mixed input. I want to know your guys opinion. I have pretty much decided to get steel sprockets. I was wondering what you guys thought of Primary Drive sprockets. Also, what chain do you guys think I should get. Does D.I.D. have a big improvement over Primary Drive or RK? Which one would be the best bang for my buck? Thanks in advanced to all the input =)

00426ex
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Any and all input appreciated =)

00426ex
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Any and all input appreciated =)

00426ex
08-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry for double post =/

honda400ex2003
08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
you can get all of the stuff on ebay cheaper. I just got my rear end bearings for around 24 bucks i think. the DID chains are great! i have had 2 of them and had no issues with either of them. pretty much any of the sprockets are decent, I like my jt ones now, wasnt real happy with my renthals, primary drive isnt bad for a cheaper set, sidewinder is the best but you will pay some big money for those. you will need a 94 link i believe, i will check and make sure. steve

honda400ex2003
08-17-2010, 09:13 PM
verified 94 links on the chain. steve

tri5ron
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Steve,
Can you go out and count the knobs on your left rear tire tread for me?
I think I might be missing one.....:blah: :D

honda400ex2003
08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
already ahead of you :D there are 68 lugs. lol i just checked dennis kirk for the 94 link thing. lol the kits work our really well for stuff like that. hehe steve

tri5ron
08-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Dammit!
I KNEW I was missing one.

I've tried searching ebay, TR, Cabellas, Sears catalog, Bass Pro Shops, and Victoria's Secret, But I cant seem to find any replacement lugs anywhere.
(heck, they dont seem to stock hardly ANY atv parts !)

Maybe I should go back and re-check Victoria's Secret one more time, just to be sure.

OK, back to our regular programming...
Didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread,just saw a fun oppurtunity to give Steve a little bit of a hard time, and hopefully a little laugh.

to the OP,
X2 on what Steve has suggested in reguards to the sprockets and chains. Steel sprockets will last alot longer. I'm happy with my JT's

00426ex
08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
No problem. I enjoy a laugh too =) I think you should recheck Victoria's Secret, but you may need help looking.... =) I have heard good things about JT and Primary Drive sprockets and I'm pretty much stuck on D.I.D. (unless someone knows something better). I know RMATV has Primary Drive, where can I get JT sprockets? Is JT better than Primary Drive? Thanks =)

honda400ex2003
08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I think i got my jt stuff from dennis kirk. I am liking them so far for as cheap as they were. The xring is def the way to go, it will outlast your sprockets. that is what happened with my renthals, i ended up replacing everything this spring after 4 yrs i believe it was on the other set of renthals and the x ring combo. After using my jt stuff most of the summer, the sprockets are in great shape.

To ron,
i think secret is where i found that last tread, gotta look around. :chinese: maybe it was in bed, bath, and beyond... in the beyond section next to the crazy time pausing remote :blah:

steve

00426ex
08-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be ordering tonight. After I get the thing fixed I can finally get some pics =) I don't think many more things could break on this quad. Everything has pretty much been checked at some point already =) Hope it works out and thanks again for all your help dudes =)