PDA

View Full Version : Average Tire Life?

Hiper-Tech2010
08-09-2010, 02:14 PM
In the process of doing some market research for product development HiPer Racing is interested in the average life of front and rear tires for your everyday Pro-am racer, or everyday rider? We understand many Pros and Pro-am riders are sponsored and may change tires before every race, but we're looking for what the average rider, who may not have the sponsorship or the money to change tires between every or every other race, about how long does your average tire last? 20 hours, 30 hours, 40 hours? We're looking for as much feedback as we can get. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HiPer Racing

born2ride14
08-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I race in the youth class and down here in fl i can run the same tires for 5 years strait.But up north your lucky if you can make it half a season

Wood_15
08-10-2010, 11:08 AM
On hard pack racing mx typically you will go through a set in a national weekend so roughly every 4 motos. The key is, if you have tires that arent' directional is to flip them after every moto. That way you have a good edge to work with. That is refering to rears. Front tires don't wear that much at all I went through 2 sets of fronts in a season. I've had a lot of good luck lately with Hoosier tires they hold up really well compared to ITP and Maxxis. I've seen some pro-am guys get 6-8 motos from the 100 compound as long as you keep flipping them. The 100 compound is softer than a yellow label maxxis as well. Tire wear comes down to what surface your running on and what in your opinion is still feeling good. Once I lose the edge on a tire i scrap them. To each his own...

slightlybent47
08-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I would love to keep fresh rubber on the ground but unfortunately we average recreational riders/ racers can’t part with the money it takes to do that. I flip them quite often to get the most out of them and the rears last around 30 - 40 hours and the front I generally get half a season out of them before I spring for new rubber. I usually keep two or three sets on hand and try to use the oldest ones for practice. The bad thing is going from a worn tire to a fresh one takes some adjustment to get used to the traction.
I of course would run newer tires all the time if the budget would allow.
I use ITP MXR6 18’s and 20’s on front, the price of the Hoosiers have kept me from buying them, but I am going to spring for a set of Hoosiers 100 or 150’s soon just to see how they do on the hard pack.

I hope that helps and please put me on your list for any promotional stuff you can throw my way. Throw a poor dog a bone!!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

ikas
08-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Knobby knife is very good. You can renew your old tires and give them a new sharp edge. That sounded like a television advertisement haha