PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Stock Wheels??

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:03 PM
My stock wheels dont really look the greatest as of now, is there a way i could polish them and make them shiny again

ill get some pics of them and some pics of the polish i have but it wont work on my wheels it just sorta cleans them and not polishes them

This stuff worked AMAZING on my cr250 frame but i dont think its what i need to do my wheels

Since im looking at a polished axle a-arms and swingarm i might as well do my wheels just not sure how to do them

Give me a couple minutes and ill go take some pics of my wheels and tell me what u think i can do

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
heres the rears and ya i would wash them before i polish them but i would like to get them to an almost mirror finish if possible

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:17 PM
rears again

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:18 PM
fronts
I know im missing lug nuts i dont have them on right now because i put 2 on each side, wasnt riding it and have to take them off again anyway

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
polish i used on my cr250 frame but i just think i need something a little bigger or stronger to polish these

HondaRacing83
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
ahhh i do this all the time its super easy!theres 2 different ways you can do it.WAY #1-When your washing your 400ex(powerwasher)put degreaser on your rims(which is basically kerosene with some kind of addative or sullative)my dad gets it free from work to but spray it on your rims and wait like 5-10minutes and powerwash it off and they will be very nice and shiny(you can also use degreaser on your plastic,bumper,nerfs,anything,etc.)and then there is WAY#2-If you cant use degreaser this works just as well if not better.After you just simply powerwash it off,put Aromor All Wheel Cleaner on them,then wipe it off and it will also be very nice and shiny.(The wheel cleaner will also work on your axle.i.e. my axle was very dirty no matter how much i washed and then i put wheel cleaner on it and it and scrubbed and it made it just as polished as my bumper/nerfs)i hope this helps you out!

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:26 PM
i might try the degreaser ive got like 5gal of the stuff sitting in the garage

CJM
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Turtlewax chrome polish, it will remove and shine quite well.

HondaRacing83
08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
i might try the degreaser ive got like 5gal of the stuff sitting in the garage ahlright cool,it works quite well,and like i said if you spray some on your plastic and other things it will shine it up quite well also

PaRedneckRiders
08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
ahlright cool,it works quite well,and like i said if you spray some on your plastic and other things it will shine it up quite well also
Well i use pledge floor finish with future shine on my plastics lol

Seems to work pretty well with the silver maier and QT CF hood

HondaRacing83
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
ohh ok then lol

4reeds
08-09-2010, 06:29 PM
stuff called neverdull works awsome.I hadn't polished anything on my quad since 2004.This stuff takes off rust,baked on mud,clay,you name it.Just tear off some of the fabric and rub and everything comes off.Then wipe down with a microfiber cloth and its polishes.

NacsMXer
08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I never had much luck trying to polish stock wheels...I think they are anodized clear or something. The rag never turned black much when I tried. Might have to sand first with high grit sandpaper to knock down the coating first.

Ian400ex
08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Lol, I have those same stem caps :p

and I always use my pressure washer then a rag on my rims and they tend to look nice after that (but these are 08 rims).

Napalm Nate
08-10-2010, 05:02 AM
to get a mirror like finish on stock wheels you will have to sand the brushed coating off def a ton of work. go for it if you have the patience if not just buy some .190s

these are my stock wheels

PaRedneckRiders
08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Napalm Nate
to get a mirror like finish on stock wheels you will have to sand the brushed coating off def a ton of work. go for it if you have the patience if not just buy some .190s

these are my stock wheels

Man those look pretty good but i think im not gona waste the time im prob gona have to cut back on the mods i want because my buddu wants me to buy his 03 crf450 for 1300 cash today so he can go put a down payment on a new one cause thats all the dealer will give him
So have to wait till i can flip that deal and then go back to putting money in the EX

MidnightBlade
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
i can guarentee you mothers mag and aluminum polish, my exhaust looked white before and i smeared some on rubbed it around, whiped it off and it honestly looked like it was chromed. id do the nevrdull then the mothers as the finishing touch. oh and it gets rid of the factory clearcoat too

PaRedneckRiders
08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
i can guarentee you mothers mag and aluminum polish, my exhaust looked white before and i smeared some on rubbed it around, whiped it off and it honestly looked like it was chromed. id do the nevrdull then the mothers as the finishing touch. oh and it gets rid of the factory clearcoat too

Ive used some of the mothers polish before but i got all that x-treem stuff i have for free it 12$ a container and i got about a dozen for free lol

HondaRacing83
08-10-2010, 02:59 PM
so have you tried anything yet?and sayy how far is ARMAGH from Meadville?

PaRedneckRiders
08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
so have you tried anything yet?and sayy how far is ARMAGH from Meadville?
Its almost 4 hours your on the south eastern part of PA on on the south western
But ive got some buddys of that way (meadville and Lancaster)

HondaRacing83
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Its almost 4 hours your on the south eastern part of PA on on the south western
But ive got some buddys of that way (meadville and Lancaster) uhhh ur wrong im in north western,PA (below erie)

MidnightBlade
08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
how far from johnstown, look it up on bing

HondaRacing83
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
im to lazy to right now

PaRedneckRiders
08-11-2010, 07:23 AM
im to lazy to right now
Oh sry i thought u were from Lancaster county, but your in crawford county so im like 2 and a half hours away

MidnightBlade
08-11-2010, 07:24 AM
im in cambria so you are like 2 hrs away

sc400ex_rider
08-11-2010, 08:07 AM
yes the stock rims are clear anodized. an easy way to remove it is to mix a solution of 1 tsp of lye (drain cleaner) to a gallon of water and immerse the item. let it sit for 5-10 min and lightly scrub with a scotch brite pad. use gloves cause its caustic and will burn your hands. the wheels are big so you might need a med. size tub and 2-3 gals of water. you can do 1 side at a time. then just polish with mothers or flitz or simchrome. you can use this to strip any faded anno to spruce up old parts. great for cars bikes R/C stuff.

HondaRacing83
08-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh sry i thought u were from Lancaster county, but your in crawford county so im like 2 and a half hours away me,you,and midnightblade should put a ride together,maybe we could all go to a harescramble or poker run,i here theres some nice poker runs in houtzdale,maybe a couple other riders that want to come?

MidnightBlade
08-12-2010, 06:31 AM
ah probably not, i already beat the balls of my quad in 4-5 other 40-80 mile rides. and id probably kill my self in a harescramble... but maybe. oh and i cant drive yet :confused: , so that might pose a problem

HondaRacing83
08-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
ah probably not, i already beat the balls of my quad in 4-5 other 40-80 mile rides. and id probably kill my self in a harescramble... but maybe. oh and i cant drive yet :confused: , so that might pose a problem i cant either!im sure my dad would drive me,im only 12 lol,dnt underestimate me lol i ride the wheels off my 400ex

MidnightBlade
08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
my dad works and my mom can usually take me but she wouldnt want to make 2 hour and a half trips there and back, my cuz should be able to bring me and him and his bro might ride too.

HondaRacing83
08-12-2010, 04:49 PM
cool man!theres some poker runs in geneva, ever heard of it?

MidnightBlade
08-12-2010, 08:22 PM
nope

HondaRacing83
08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
ah ok then