PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel sorry for motor builders?

NJChris
08-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Just a funny question I wanted to post for years. Its gotta be tough for these guys. Im sure they all put out a good product. But the majority of their magazine/internet ads sales got to idiots (myself included) who have no clue how to build a motor, how to tune a motor or how to maintain a motor. They hack it together and it runs like crap and blows up. Then they tell their freinds and get on here and say "XXX motors are junk". Its gotta be tough.

wes350x
08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Yea Im sure its tough. Ex: If you like a builder greatly it wont matter to you that the last 2 engines he sent you blew up for no reason, but if a friend has an engine that blows from a builder you dont like then WHAM, he gets blasd all over on how sucky his engine is.

atvmxr
08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
yeah, this goes back to the other thread about trying stuff yourself, not listening to a majority, and too much mis-information on the interwebs

and customer service is a big factor too. you could build a gretat motor, but if you cant take the time to help your customer get it dialed in then what good is that?

All250R
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
When I build an engine I send out a detailed list of steps and explanations about having a new engine to help keep their engine from blowing up mysteriously.

The reason is, engines blow up for different reasons, but it's hard to expect the customer to understand this on his own. You have to make sure you're explicit about him using the right octane, jetting abundantly rich - dialing it in methodically if he wants more performance, and if the timing is adjustable, not getting carried away.

I take care of air leaks, port design and chamfering, and take responsibility for the trueness of the bore, but the tuning aspects of the engine have to be taken into the hands of the customer and are largely his responsibility to make sure he doesn't blow his new engine up.

witech
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by All250R
When I build an engine I send out a detailed list of steps and explanations about having a new engine to help keep their engine from blowing up mysteriously.

The reason is, engines blow up for different reasons, but it's hard to expect the customer to understand this on his own. You have to make sure you're explicit about him using the right octane, jetting abundantly rich - dialing it in methodically if he wants more performance, and if the timing is adjustable, not getting carried away.

I take care of air leaks, port design and chamfering, and take responsibility for the trueness of the bore, but the tuning aspects of the engine have to be taken into the hands of the customer and are largely his responsibility to make sure he doesn't blow his new engine up.

Ive run into this same issue so I eliminate the end user interference all together and build the engine to thier horsepower specs ,install it in my own chassis,break it in and dyno tune with thier ECU and exhaust .
That way I can insure they get a true "drop in " engine and it will not lose any races due to poor tuning. I actually prefer they bring the quad to me and we install it together when the engine is done.