PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Fuses

03-4ooEX
08-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I have had my 400 for about 8 months now and I love it. First problem ive had now so hopefully one of you can help me. I rolled it 4 times down a hill and i rode for about another 10 minutes or so after, my buddies and I stopped to take a break and i went to pull me head lights out of the plastic because the roll jammed them into the plastic. Well after i moved them back up my key switch wiring harness started melting before it blew the fuse.( Had a 30A in it im kinda thinking its too high.) But i bought a new switch and hooked it up and everytime I turn the key on it blows the fuse. I have stripped all the covers off the wiring and cannot find any wire that has melted. So im really in need of some help.

trailrider894
08-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere, check your ignition wiring, and can you tell me which fuse is blowing?

03-4ooEX
08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
its the fuse next to the battery. A wire runs from the solenoid to the fuse and then into the wiring harness. I cant find a short anywhere but i might be looking in the wrong place.

quad2xtreme
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 03-4ooEX
its the fuse next to the battery. A wire runs from the solenoid to the fuse and then into the wiring harness. I cant find a short anywhere but i might be looking in the wrong place.

Disconnect your headlights and see if the problem goes away. If it does, connect the wiring but remove the headlight bulbs and see if it goes away.

I've experienced headlight issues blowing that same fuse on 2 of my 400ex quads over the years.

/jon

03-4ooEX
08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
headlights are not even hooked up right now. i also disconnected the CDI box and regulator and it still blew. But i ran out of fuses so i to grab some more to try anything else.

quad2xtreme
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
obviously there is a short somewhere. It is a matter of finding it. Pull the switch loose from the bars too...even disconnect it. Does it blow even with the key in the off position?

03-4ooEX
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
i have all the plastic off it with the wiring hanging out and have traced all the wires and i might be missing something but i cant find anything wrong. But no it does not blow when the key is off. Just when it is turned on.

03-4ooEX
08-10-2010, 04:52 PM
So i went out after work today and put another fuse in and it didnt blow at first the quad ran for a bit then died and blew it ( or maybe it blew and died) not too sure. But i then replaced the fuse again and it hasnt blew. So im guessing it has a short somewhere that i just cant find.

03-4ooEX
08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Well I got the problem figured out. The head light switches melted. So they got cut out and taped up for the ride this weekend and will get new parts next week. Thanks for the help. Will be using this forum a lot now.

quad2xtreme
08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
you can get Honda replacement...or go to ebaymotors and do a search and get an aftermarket setup for less.

honda400ex2003
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
i would suggest trying out a continuity test on each wire to see which one is broke. you will have to be able to touch both sides of it but you can see if your switches and such are bad too while you are at it. steve