PDA

View Full Version : atv insurance

DyingBreed
08-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know of a company that will insure my aftermarket framed 250R? Having a hard time finding insurance coverage.

Thanks,
Rick

deathman53
08-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I tried w/ mine. I had to go to my state and apply for a a custom atv title, recipients, pictures, costs, etc. Then the state would decide if they are going to give it a VIN number. You get a title and need to bring the frame to a state certified place to have the vin stamped in. Then you use that vin number for the insurance company. I didn't have any info from the previous owner, nor still talk to him. I never pursued it. I had a thread about december of 08 of how to get registration/insurance on a LSR frame. This is concerning NJ, but it should be similar for all states.

Langbolt
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Is it because they think it's for RACING ? or did you say just recreational ?

Get This,

I use State Farm & they insured my Hybrid - XR650R motor in a custom Chromoly chassis (based on 400ex geometry) I showed them pics and stated how much I wanted it insured for. no problem. got the policy and all is good.

Then, this past winter i build a 400ex for the girlfriend.....I bought a OEM 400ex frame from Honda.....and bought the remaining parts off of KIJIJI.....after a couple months I have a complete quad with +2 a-arms & +4 axle.....done nice.....Well when I go insure it they decline it saying they can't Insure a HOMEMADE Atv.

When I got my Ownership done at the DMV the had to state it was home made as there was not a factory VIN given.....even though ALL the parts are made by HONDA.....

So I said.....how come you insured my Hybrid ? They said it was an error on their part....but they'll keep insuring it.

BUT they won't insure the 400ex ..... :o(

So I'm looking for a company that will.

Geico ? Progressive ?

250Renvy
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Langbolt
I bought a OEM 400ex frame from Honda.....and bought the remaining parts off of KIJIJI.....after a couple months I have a complete quad with +2 a-arms & +4 axle.....done nice.....Well when I go insure it they decline it saying they can't Insure a HOMEMADE Atv.

I would just spend the $100 or less on a junked OEM frame that has a title and take the vin tag off and apply it. Problem solved since it now has an OEM VIN #

I'm doing the same thing with all my aftermarket frames. If they need value associated with an old machine then show them receipts and it should be all good. You then have to decide if you want replacement value or depreciated value. Replacement value will be much higher cost, but depreciated value will be the same as a car - what it was worth when it was stolen.

atvmxr
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
dont most aftermarket frames have a number on them, somewhere... ?

Higgy87TRX425
08-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm buying an aftermarket frame. A Roll Design frame and it comes with a title and vin number stamped into the frame, already. It must be different depending on the company that you get the frame from, or if you buy it used from someone that never worried about the Vin # and a title. Fourtunatly the person I'm getting it from did care enough to get the title with it!!

deathman53
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
the guy I got my hybrid from, he thought he gave me the mso from lsr, but he never did. Dmw wants nothing to do w/ a aftermarket frame, only stock frames. If I had the mso for the lsr frame, it wouldn't be a problem to title and insure. They do accept aftermarket frames only certain companies and it has to be inspected before they will title it, its mostly custom choppers they do it for.

croat1
08-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I would just spend the $100 or less on a junked OEM frame that has a title and take the vin tag off and apply it. Problem solved since it now has an OEM VIN #

I'm doing the same thing with all my aftermarket frames. If they need value associated with an old machine then show them receipts and it should be all good. You then have to decide if you want replacement value or depreciated value. Replacement value will be much higher cost, but depreciated value will be the same as a car - what it was worth when it was stolen.

not saying that i did or did not do this before...don't want to incriminate myself just a heads up this is very illegal. if you are going to go this route make sure you run the donor bikes vin number.

in ohio the DMV will not issue a title for a bare frame (aftermarket). you have to put the bike togeher and take it to the highway patrol for an inspection. at that time you show them all your receipts. and hopefully they issue you a title. it helps if you have a cop in the family/friend to go with you in uniform. less hastle. receipts are very inportant. hell get as many as you can from all of your riding buddies.

and by the way they do look at the motor vin also.

250Renvy
08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
[i] this is very illegal.
[/B]

I can't see why. The reason you can buy replacement frames from any company is because they break. Smash a tree, case a jump and your frame is bent/wrecked and you either scrap the quad or buy a new frame. When buying a new frame they ask for your current Vin number. They then stamp that vin number on the new frame.

You are basically doing the exact same thing - only since honda doesn't have replacement frames you are going to an a frame builder.

croat1
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I can't see why. The reason you can buy replacement frames from any company is because they break. Smash a tree, case a jump and your frame is bent/wrecked and you either scrap the quad or buy a new frame. When buying a new frame they ask for your current Vin number. They then stamp that vin number on the new frame.

You are basically doing the exact same thing - only since honda doesn't have replacement frames you are going to an a frame builder.

i agree with you but that is what the highway patrol and dmv told me in ohio. remember we are talking 20 plus year old bikes and not current production models

another good one....when getting a vin inspection in ohio you must have a headlight and somekind of tail light.

trust me i went thru all of this. when you show up and tell them you want a title for a bike they act like it is stolen because a title does not exist.