PDA

View Full Version : question about racing

sexysilverado45
08-07-2010, 01:33 AM
sometimes when ever i go over a jump my backend will swing out so its kind of like im throwing a dirt bike whip when im not really trying to. it happened to me alot at my last race and one time it jumped up and bit me in the arse cause i wrecked big time so my question is what will cause the back end to swing out after you leave the jump and are in the air.

here is what iv been told before

bad carrier bearing
different tire pressures in the rears

and thats it so what are some other suggestions. (for some reason it only happens every once in awhile.

also at my last race i just put some new hipers on with new razr mx tires.

thanks.

440racer66
08-07-2010, 02:03 AM
it really could be anything. the pressure your applying to the pegs. or maybe one tires gettin traction and ones not getting the same amount. its hard to say without watching you ride or havin your quad in front of us.

quad2xtreme
08-07-2010, 07:09 AM
having your feet on different parts of the pegs can cause that for sure...like ^^^ said, applying different pressure to the pegs.

my 2nd choice is varying traction off the face of the jump.

3rd choice is the face of the jump...but this would cause it to happen all the time...and to others. Watch others and try to see exactly where they are going off the ramp.

4th choice is your front shocks aren't reacting equally.

slightlybent47
08-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Jumping a quad is deferent then a bike, here is the trick to launching strait.
When you leave the face of the jump you should NOT have the throttle pined, you should use more of your momentum to get you over the jump instead of power.
When you pin the throttle off the face it can grab more traction on one side and that is what is throwing you sideways.
You can be on the gas but keep it smooth and don’t punch it off the lip.
Approach the jump at a higher speed and stay smooth on the throttle all the way up the face, don’t blip the throttle when you leave the lip keep it smooth.
You should have all the speed to clear the jump before you get to it, that way you are not trying to accelerate up the face.
Also don’t be sitting down when you approach the jump, stay in the attack position.

Try just using your momentum and I guarantee you will have better results.

If the jump is right out of a corner then you need to get through the corner faster so you don’t have to power of the face of the jump.

If you do find yourself going sideways in the air, then you want to turn the front wheels in the direction you are drifting.
Say you jump and the rear drifts out to the left, then you want to steer to the left while you still in the air and point the bike in the direction of the drift.
When you land don’t chop the throttle, stay on the gas.
This will let the rear slide a bit when you land and it will help keep it from grabbing to much traction when you touch down and snapping the bike sideways.

Your goal is to get over the jump in the fastest and most efficient manner possible.
Use that momentum to give you distance and not height, that way you get back on the ground faster. The more time you spend in the air, the less time you spend on the ground accelerating.
If you add in the scrub with that technique you can shave a lot of time off your lap times.

That is your riding tip for the week!!!
Have fun!!!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

sexysilverado45
08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
well slightly bent i think your on to something that i have never noticed because it was at cooperland(theres a video on youtube that show how it was going sideways on the double) and now that i think back i didn't have any problems with any of the jumps but the ski jump and the double after the little roller. and i think i might have been hitting the gas on the face of the jump on those two because i was trying to clear them. but on the table tops i would get the speed and then idk if you want to call it coast but keep the throttle 1/2 to 1/4 of the way and it wouldn't swing out on me.

also this hasn't happend at many other races at oak hill i didn't have any of these problems and and at the local races i didn't seem to have these problems.

also how do you scrub on a quad if been told you basically take off the face and let the quad come up to you, and you use your body to kind of bump it back down.(in a round about way.)

slightlybent47
08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
[i]

also how do you scrub on a quad if been told you basically take off the face and let the quad come up to you, and you use your body to kind of bump it back down.(in a round about way.) [/B]

Yep that’s pretty much what a scrub is; you have the right idea.
It allows you to approach a jump with more speed then you need to clear the jump and by scrubbing the jump it will slow you down so you don’t over jump it. It helps transfer the upward momentum into forward momentum.

Think of it like this, if you have it pinned going up the face, and then when the front tires leave the ground the rear tires are still driving you forward and in some situations the rear end is trying to push the rear pass the front.
Much like it dose when you do a hole shot and it pulls to one side, it’s doing the same thing when going up the face, only at speed.
Don’t get me wrong, some jumps you can power up the face with no problem and everything works out just fine. But if you have a jump that’s giving you trouble then you can try that technique and it usually works.
Another thing I have found is that you can use a deferent line then everyone else is using. Or you can change the angle of your approach and over come those nasty little kickers.
Some jumps that have uneven lips or are off camber and do require an even deferent approach then the one we are disusing here. But that should help you with most of them.